Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 01:34 PM

10 posts, read 11,113 times

Advertisements

I'm most likely in the minority on this,

but i don't think its any worse than if they had mugged an adult....i mean,it's not like they beat the kid up or anything

logically,thieves aren't the most "moral" bunch of people,so why act shocked that they would be opportunistic in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 01:45 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,968,335 times
I don't understand why people in these neighborhoods have kids, anyway. You'd think that their first priority would be to do things to get out to a safe place to live before reproducing.

That, in my opinion, was a mistake. Parading the kid around with that jewelry - well, it's their legal right and they should be able to do it, but is another damned stupid mistake.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Nothing that comes out of these "diverse" neighborhoods surprises me anymore. Just when you think things can't get any more violent, stupid, or dysfunctional... they do.
So tell me what the racial composition of the neighborhood has to do with any of this......

Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
Good grief. If it had been a little girl wearing a necklace, no one would have given it a second thought. Way to go, blaming the victim.
Yes, because everybody here is blaming the little 3 year-old kid.

In any case, was it right that they were mugged? No, but as the saying goes, a little common sense goes a long way. You go out with a gold chain on your neck at 11:45PM on Malcolm X Blvd, that'll happen to you. Hell, I wouldn't be openly showing jewlery in any neighborhood. (It reminds me of the show Everybody Hates Chris when he's talking about chain-snatching and how the thieves went after everyboy, including dead people).

Old 07-15-2012, 02:31 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,129,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabud View Post
I'm most likely in the minority on this,

but i don't think its any worse than if they had mugged an adult....i mean,it's not like they beat the kid up or anything

logically,thieves aren't the most "moral" bunch of people,so why act shocked that they would be opportunistic in this situation?
it's WAY worse. He's a kid. Psychological trauma at such a young age can be damaging. Plus, At least an adult can fight back. All I see on this thread is excuses for the thugs that contribute nothing, are harmful and have as much morals and compassion as a rabid wolverine. No right in it. Yes, Not a great idea parading around gold in that area. But no right in the act.

I have said before..in the big house, Even the most hardcore criminals have no respect for people who hurt kids. That's like being thrown out of hell cause the prince of darkness sees no value in you.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:43 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,662,820 times
Makes sense to me. Ever heard the phrase, "like taking candy from a baby"? It's not a "new low" at all. There's no reason to act as if it's especially horrible - it's a minor attempted theft. Not murder. Not rape. Not even a multi-million dollar Ponzi scheme.

However, I agree that it's an incredibly stupid - and tasteless - item for a baby. I come from a family where the women wear a lot of jewelry, and that seems nuts to me.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:10 PM

420 posts, read 823,463 times
Sucks that a 3 year old was a victim, but why put a flashy gold chain on a defenseless kid, regardless if it is a family heirloom? That's just asking for trouble.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:32 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,200 times
It is the job of parents to protect the child the best way they can and this includes financially. Sure it's a horrible thing for muggers, thugs, criminals to attack a baby but as someone said these people lack a moral compass and all they know is self preservation. Being that the mother knows she's in a crime ridden community you're just asking for trouble going out at 11:45pm to wash clothes with a gold chain wearing baby.

Sure she couldn't pick the gift someone gives but a godparent knowing her situation must be crazy too to give a gift like this. This is where the the parent says to the godparent I can't receive a gift like this because my son wouldn't be able to wear it anywhere in this neighborhood. Could you exchange it for ______. (give suggestions)

Or, since the mother is truly ghettofied. Just take the gold chain, sale it and buy a washer to put in the apartment so she wouldn't have to go out and wash clothes with a baby that should be sleeping at 12 at night.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:20 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,778 times
This is why 3 year olds should carry knives...

Old 07-15-2012, 08:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
Instead of a gold chain, what if the kid were holding an iphone in his lap with earphones in his ears...maybe listening to a lullaby or watching Spongebob, or whatever 3 year-olds do on iphones?

Old 07-16-2012, 09:43 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,557,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
Good grief. If it had been a little girl wearing a necklace, no one would have given it a second thought. Way to go, blaming the victim.

Yes, all those posts blaming the victim.

All none of them.

I'm guessing you mean blaming those people who were decorating the baby with nice shiny things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: