Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 11:26 PM

58 posts, read 280,924 times

Advertisements

2 PART QUESTION. I am a domestic violence applicant with priority N1 and on the Manhattan borough wide waiting list for a studio or zero bedrooms...I no longer have an income and heard that if I report a Zero(0) income as in I do not have an income will speed up the process and I'll get the apartment much sooner. Is this true and if yes, why and how does it work. Secondly, will it change my priority? I've been certified since July 2011 and still they've found no apartment for me with 102 developments with 53,889 apartments in Manhattan?

P.S - I am also disabled but you couldn't tell by looking at me. However, will reporting this speed up the process also?

Any information or useful tips and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any information you might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 06:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
With ZERO income, how are you living? How WILL you live?

I think that whether reporting an income of zero will have an effect, depends partly on what income you reported when you last filed your application with NYCHA. If you are on record with a HIGH income, then perhaps filing with new data can only be beneficial.

If you are disabled, why are you not collecting Disablility Insurance (Social Security?)

Old 07-20-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
With ZERO income, how are you living? How WILL you live?

I think that whether reporting an income of zero will have an effect, depends partly on what income you reported when you last filed your application with NYCHA. If you are on record with a HIGH income, then perhaps filing with new data can only be beneficial.

If you are disabled, why are you not collecting Disablility Insurance (Social Security?)
My original filing I reported an income of zero(0) income, I then had my interview on September 2009 and by that time I had a job for a year making 33k and had a regular apartment but got laid off and March 2010 so during that eligibility interview it was updated to 16.5k calculating my unemployment wages. I was found eligible on July 2011 as stated above but then got a letter asking if I wished to remain on the waiting list and to detail my current income which I listed at 20k calculating said unemployment because I received extended benefits. So as it is my income is 20k and I don't think that help even being a victim of domestic violence with a priority of N1 on the Manhattan borough wide waiting list.

I'm also not collecting disability benefits because I just filed and don't know what will happens as yet as I'm still going through the approval process.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:50 AM

So then NO, I would not redo the application to report ZERO income.
Let it stand as the 20K until the dust settles and you are either off Unemployment or ON Disability and have a stable income to report.
Which might be close to $20K anyways.
Roughly speaking, you should pay about 30% of 20K or $6K/year in rent...or $500 a month.

Of course if you actual income is LESS than that you would pay correspondingly less: $10K = $250/month.

What is the upper limit of income for a single person in NYCHA?
edit: I just looked it up: $46,500
(Pretty generous)

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-20-2012 at 07:59 AM..

Old 07-20-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
So then NO, I would not redo the application to report ZERO income.
Let it stand as the 20K until the dust settles and you are either off Unemployment or ON Disability and have a stable income to report.
Which might be close to $20K anyways.
Roughly speaking, you should pay about 30% of 20K or $6K/year in rent...or $500 a month.

Of course if you actual income is LESS than that you would pay correspondingly less: $10K = $250/month.

What is the upper limit of income for a single person in NYCHA?
edit: I just looked it up: $46,500
(Pretty generous)
Makes sense the way you put it but either way upon moving in I think I need to have some sort of income, even if I'm a dronestic violence applicant, right? I just hope I get it soon, I originally applied in 2009 and it's now 2012 though they seem to be counting from my certification date of July 2011...

Old 07-21-2012, 07:39 AM

When they finally call you in they willl need to know what you are making THEN. So no sense redoing the paperwork (and risking starting all over on the Wait List.)
Just be ready for accurate honest numbers when they call you in, those are the only ones that matter.

My theory is to file ANYTHING that gets you qualified for whatever housing deal you want. And then when the time comes, perhaps a DECADE later in some cases, you then give them REAL and CURRENT numbers. They won't care WHAT you had on the original application.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:05 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,554 times
Quote:

My theory is to file ANYTHING that gets you qualified for whatever housing deal you want. And then when the time comes, perhaps a DECADE later in some cases, you then give them REAL and CURRENT numbers. They won't care WHAT you had on the original application.
I love the way you give a play by play how to cheat the system. And then you wonder why people are fed up with government handouts and they feel it should be reform drastically.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I love the way you give a play by play how to cheat the system. And then you wonder why people are fed up with government handouts and they feel it should be reform drastically.

I'm glad you love it.
I presume your admiration comes from your landlord credentials where cheating the system is a way of LIFE.

Actually giving correct information when you are called in for an interview and asked about your CURRENT income is NOT cheating the system...that's called HONESTY. I can appreciate how THAT weird concept might be foreign to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City