Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:03 PM

18 posts, read 31,351 times

Advertisements

I can't stand it. Whenever I see fellow New Yorkers finishing their sandwiches, they literally shape the black bag into a ball and throw it under the seat. It's irritating, I feel like telling them "Hey, stop being gross!" but the situation will just get out of hand. Especially with gum, gum under the seats and on the windows—it's like gum world. It's disgusting. Maybe that's why all those huge "rabies filled" rabbit sized rats roam around the train tracks? The tracks are often full of sewer water and litter swimming around.

Is it really that hard to have the decency to keep your garbage in your hand until the next stop comes and you can quickly rush out and throw it in those bulky black garbage cans the MTA has on the platform? Some people don't even finish their coffee, they just gently place it on the floor and let it spill all over the train car. As if this has only happened on the subway!

The worst I've seen: Man eating his huge greasy KFC bucket on the train accompanied by an XL sized drink, after he's done, he throws the emptied chicken bucket under the seat (leaving grease all over the seat next to him), and literally throws the unfinished drink under the seat. Finally, he takes a nap innocently as if he's done nothing wrong. What is this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 01:21 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
uncivilized behavior. that's what will make
eating and drinking on the subways banned
soon.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:48 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
This is probably one of my biggest pet peeves. I was on the train one day. I was standing by the door and next to me was a young guy, maybe early 20's or so. Ate his bagel, barely wrapped the bag into a ball and TOSSED it right in front of him. The man sitting across from him looked at me (who also looked at him in disbelief) and looked at the guy. The guy had a smirk on his face and looked up at me. I said, "Excuse me. I think you DROPPED something." He just looked at me and I think I embarassed him enough because after I said it the 2nd time, he picked it up and shoved the bag in his pocket. There are bans against eating and drinking on the trains but it's not enforced. Unfortunately, the slobs ruin it for everyone else.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:52 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
It makes me crazy to see at every highway exit ramp there is litter everywhere.
86th street and bay parkway looks like a garbage pail exploded. The belt parkway at bay Parkway is a freaking pig stuy.

The Mayor needs to focus a lot more on the dept of sanitation, rather than smoking and soda sizes.
Soho in the city is filthy, the curbs are disgusting.

NYC is by far the dirtiest filthiest city in the US

Old 07-17-2012, 02:45 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
I feel the same as you OP.
Whenever I see somebody eating something and throwing the rest on the floor, I wonder to myself if they do the same at home.

I hate using cops for petty stuff but if they wanted to set a precedent and an example in NYC, they should start enforcing the littering rules in the subways and streets.
Everytime a pig throws garbage on the floor, they would get a $40 ticket.
Repeat offenders in addition to paying a higher fine would do some community service that includes street cleaning.

Ticket enough people to make it to the news, and you'll see a change in behavior.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:34 PM

518 posts, read 1,580,203 times
I'm glad I work from home. This foolishness used to almost get me in fights.
I used to take the E @ supthin blvd, the filthy heart of Jamaica. I saw people eating everything! I saw a guy come in with a bag of microwave popcorn from home. Eat most of it. Throw the bag towards the door as it was closing. So it hits the door, and the popcorn and unpopped kernals go everywhere. Now we hit Uniom T pike and ppl are streaming in and sliding on the greasy unpoppped kernals.

Saw a guy, same station, eating KFC wings & tossing the bones on the floor as he went. Tossed box and napkins on floor,
People on either side of him, no one flintched. I don't know how anyone can be so desensitized to outrageous behavior like this.

I guess the worst was a "lady" stading above me in an already crowded train. I was seated, for quite a while, when I saw her shoehorn her way in. The train is packed Moderator cut: language so she thinks its a good idea to have a snack. And what else would you eat on a crowded train, but a huge donut. After a few minutes of watching her ignore me as the crumbs and powdered sugar fell on my black coat, I tapped her on the arm and asked her to please be more careful. She tells me to shut the F up and move. She was hungry. Then went back to snacking on her donut.
What did I expect? I had to get up, luckily I was only 10 stops from home.

At least now when someone hurls food at me, its my 2 yr old.

Ban food on subway all together. You can't train reason w them. May as welll stop it before it happens. No one is so hungry they can't wait till they get home.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-18-2012 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language - if the filter doesn't allow it, please use another word to express the sentiment. Thanks.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I feel the same as you OP.
Whenever I see somebody eating something and throwing the rest on the floor, I wonder to myself if they do the same at home.

I hate using cops for petty stuff but if they wanted to set a precedent and an example in NYC, they should start enforcing the littering rules in the subways and streets.
Everytime a pig throws garbage on the floor, they would get a $40 ticket.
Repeat offenders in addition to paying a higher fine would do some community service that includes street cleaning.

Ticket enough people to make it to the news, and you'll see a change in behavior.
if you can get a ticket for smoking in a park, i would think littering is worse.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:17 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
In my early 20's I worked in a big building. At 8 PM I did the evening round and also checked that the bathrooms were empty (Never found a dead body there though...) It was a disgusting sight. Used toilet paper thrown on the floor, right beside the toilet bowl.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:56 AM

I call 311 and make complaints about bay parkway in front of TD bank, they giove me confirmation number, I check back in 8 days. The response is they sent someone to look at the area and found nothing...........WTF, I go home and there is still litter all over the place.

I called 311 about a huge dead branch from a tree hanging over 2nd ave and 55th street here in brooklyn, 8 days later i check the respomnse and it says they sent someone and found nothing...............the branch is still hanging there, un noticed probably by many, but one day it is going to fall on a passing care and create a problem.

311 is a joke.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I'm adding my vote--I'm with the OP at least 100% on this. And it reminds me of a litter-related story that happened to me one day, back when I was a conductor...

I had a regular job on the N line that originated in Coney Island Yard. Trains laid up in yards are cleaned out every night, so when they go back into service the next day, there's no litter on them.

As we made our way across Brooklyn, I noticed a man in his fancy suit, with a copy of the Times tucked under one arm, munching away on a candy bar. When he finished the candy, he threw the wrapper on the floor--practically right in front of my face.

I said to him, "Excuse me, but do you work in a nice office?" He had absolutely no idea where I was going with that question. Caught him completely off guard, and he was fumbling and stumbling for an answer. Finally, he stammered, "Yeah...yeah. I do work in a nice office."

And I replied, "If I walked into your office and started throwing garbage on the floor, the first thing you'd do is call a cop, wouldn't you?"

He turned as red as a tomato, mumbled something under his breath about being sorry, and bent down to pick up his trash. (That only made me mad--you know that if he'd been riding on the Long Island Railroad, never in a million years would he have thrown litter on the floor. But put him on the N train, and bingo! Onto the floor without a second thought).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City