Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 05:51 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times

Advertisements

This is really starting to bug me.

1. I first heard that there will be major restoration work for the Alexander Hamilton Bridge while I was listening to WINS radio. Do they extol the importance of maintaining infrastructure? No. They just talk about massive inconvenience to drivers. Do they interview city officials for information? No. They just interview man-on-the-street types to complain. Do they suggest public transportation and point out how having fewer drivers would be a good thing? No, they just talk about how infuriating it will be.

2. The bridge closure will apparently likely funnel drivers through through other parts of New Jersey, such as Fort Lee. Does the Fort Lee mayor sympathize? Does he talk about the importance of maintaining infrastructure? Does he counsel patience, considering that so much of New Jersey is dependent on jobs in NYC? Does he view the detours as possible business opportunities for his town? No! Not only ignoring all of that, and ignoring that NYC is crucial to his own town's economy, and apparently even ignoring that we are all theoretically citizens of the same country, where the last time I checked we may still travel somewhat freely - he announces he's going to set up blockades.

I'm finding all this whininess really a pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 05:53 PM

188 posts, read 276,832 times
life is short, worrying about a bridge should be the last thing on your mind

Old 07-17-2012, 07:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Aha,

Had to look it up but now I know where it is.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:25 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Cida just keep something in mind..the purpose of newspapers, and news casts are not to inform or educate, but to sell ad space to make money. These people are not trying to educate you about the importance of our infrastructure, they are trying to get complaints and scandalous comments which are entertaining, and the public likes to watch, nothing more.

Adjust your expectations.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:10 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyanese View Post
life is short, worrying about a bridge should be the last thing on your mind
I think you're missing the point. I'm not worrying about a bridge. I'm commenting on the empty-headed-ness of local media and mean-spirited-ness of public officials, both of whom should know better.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:28 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Aha,

Had to look it up but now I know where it is.
Thats sad a New Yorker like you doesn't know the Alexander Hamilton bridge...

Old 07-18-2012, 06:21 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thats sad a New Yorker like you doesn't know the Alexander Hamilton bridge...

But unlike some, I LEARN and then I KNOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City