Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 03:15 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,263 times

Advertisements

East Village for fun, Upper East Side for affordability.

But then you can have both. Live in the UES for affordability, but go down to the East Village all the time for fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 04:06 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
East Village for fun, Upper East Side for affordability.

But then you can have both. Live in the UES for affordability, but go down to the East Village all the time for fun.
That's not a bad idea. Partying in the EV is great, living there, not so much. If you have any idea how many times I've stuck my head out of my apartment window facing the alleyway to shout "shut.. the .. F*** UP!!!" at some drunk/high douchebags singing on the fire escape at 4am.....

Old 07-17-2012, 07:24 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,492 times
What did you like/dislike about Morningside Heights?

EV is very different than Morningside. More people your age, as has been pointed out. Much more active music and bar scene. Your apartment here will be smaller than UES. It will be louder outside. EV has a bit better subway access, although parts of Alphabet City (aka avenues A, B, C, D...) are a bit of a hike to the nearest station.

UES is more like Morningside than EV is (although not exactly like Morningside). More affluent especially around lex/park ave. Not as much of a college crowd.

As far as safety, either is as safe or safer than the Columbia area (assuming you stay below 96th st on UES).

If you're commuting somewhere for work, take that into account. You'll probably ride the subway more often than you utilize the nightlife...

I used to live in Morningside Heights, went to high school on UES, and played at many a bar in the east village, so hopefully I'm qualified to comment on the areas

Good luck!

Old 07-17-2012, 07:28 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
That's not a bad idea. Partying in the EV is great, living there, not so much. If you have any idea how many times I've stuck my head out of my apartment window facing the alleyway to shout "shut.. the .. F*** UP!!!" at some drunk/high douchebags singing on the fire escape at 4am.....
lol

Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
To the OP, I'm sure others have pointed this out: East Village caters to a younger crowd and sounds like something you'd be interested in if you're an outgoing person.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:44 PM

180 posts, read 335,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upineastharlem View Post
and says "like" a lot
Haha.. I can't stand that!

Old 07-18-2012, 03:56 AM

222 posts, read 714,526 times
If you like green space, I would recommend the Upper East Side because of Central Park. There is also a lovely little park on the East River called Carl Schurz Park. It depends on what you like. If you want to live in a neighborhood with a lot of bars, restaurants, and cafes, the East Village might be better choice for you. On the other hand, the weekend crowds in the East Village can get tiresome.

Galee

Old 07-18-2012, 09:05 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,396,604 times
def depends what ur looking for

Old 07-18-2012, 10:17 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,920 times
The UES is not all rich, pretentious and boring (just like the East Village isnt entirely composed of wannabe artist hipsters). You're priced out of the rich part, anyway - 5th, Madison, Park. Best bet would be between Lex and York, north of 72nd and south of 86th. The 2nd Ave subway line construction is a quality of life issue, so I'd avoid 2nd Ave.

In the EV, I wouldn't look farther east than Ave B if safety is your primary concern. It gets dicey near Ave C & D. I'd also avoid Houston and 14th St as they're extremely loud, crowded thoroughfares.

There is no shortage of amenities in either neighborhood. You should spend a day in both to figure out which one you feel more comfortable in. I personally think the UES is a better neighborhood for your dog, but for you they're both nice.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:19 AM

175 posts, read 352,892 times
Wow, 22 years old and can afford a $2,000 1 bedroom on an entry level job. Congratulations to you. God I hate Manhattan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City