Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 02:06 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,576 times

Advertisements

Wow, NYC has a bad nightlife for clubbers and EDM? I would have never thought. I mean the first rave and first dubstep parties in the U.S.happen there. The odd thing is people say the same thing about Atlanta compared to back in the day, but Atlanta seems popping to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 02:10 PM

431 posts, read 659,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Wow, NYC has a bad nightlife for clubbers and EDM? I would have never thought. I mean the first rave and first dubstep parties in the U.S.happen there. The odd thing is people say the same thing about Atlanta compared to back in the day, but Atlanta seems popping to me.

ATL club scene was popping in the 90's. I was in college and went to Freak Nik in 94,95. Those days in the ATL are over and I remember when Peachtree Street was a strip of clubs and bars. The scene in the ATL is dead too.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:17 PM

555 posts, read 1,183,420 times
So its not just NYC.....Westhollywood is no longer the streets I use to roam in the early 90s either.
Is it a generational thing? It seems there was a great run between the 70s-90s maybe 00. Are kids just not into it now?
And its more then atmosphere, even the music now is s h i (well you know the rest).
I use to love going to clubs/raves whatever and seeing Djs like Irene, Calderon, Van Buuren, Richard Humptyvision, Bad Boy Bill, Jr Vasquez etc etc etc spinning actual records and mixing...now its like you go they have a computer and remix Britny spears or ****** Minaj and call it a hit

Old 07-24-2012, 04:28 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
Haha, thats a great point. I live in the SF bay area, and its really hit or miss out here with club and nightlife scene. Overall SF nightlife is MEDIOCRE as well. Too many bland transplants, and f***** up attitudes in the Bay. On the other hand the Salsa and latin clubs are usually always mad fun.. Im sure NYC still got that vibe, with all the Dominican clubs Uptown.
immigrant clubs might be the way to go for someone who wants v to party and also authentic plus original. Also one must be open minded when going to immigrant clubs.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:26 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
NYC nightclub scene is long gone and can never be revived. It would be nice for someone to compile a video of NYC night club scene from the late 70s to the events september 11th 2001. NYC had a gun run of 25 years of night club dominance. Like I said before various forces such as Septermber 11th, Gentrification, Mayor Bloomberg, Transplants from Natives leaving to new comers arriving placed a nail in the coffin on NYC night club scene.

If I remember correctly, Blacks had hip hop, the Italians took disco, but also the development of techno and house, the Irish was with the rock scene and the Puerto Ricans had their salsa as well as free style which I still enjoy today. As a Native New Yorker on the dance floor sometimes I gotta show these Transplants wearing their flanel shirts on how we New Yorkers do it and get down, but sadly its outdated. I guess its best for New Yorkers to party in Vegas and Miami thats where all the New Yorkers are and partying it up.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
The transplant hate is unwarranted. Transplants are much more likely to venture outside the box then natives on average.

Also, saying NYC nightlife sucks is purely an opinion. Unwarranted on a greater scale.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:51 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,420 times
I think if anything transplants were part of the rise of the NYC club scene.

Yes you had guys like Steve Rubell and ian Shrager who created 54.....but Halston from Iowa MADE 54

When the "death of downtown" was declared, it was because Andy Warhol from PA died

Many people on here are talking about the Limelight....Peter Gatien is from Canada

Michael ALig who got the whole club kid scene jumping and Avalon /limelight going is from Indiana

Junior Vasquez is from PA but was Roxys and many other major clubs resident weekend DJ

Melvin Cheren Paradise garage is from MASS I do now know where his partner Michael Brody was born

Danceteria was started by someone from Germany

Tunnel by Eli Dayan from Isreal

and I am sure the list goes on and on. Granted I know these are not the ONLY staples that made NYC nightlife what it was, but most certainly a huge part of the history of NYC. And without these transplants a lot of NYC club history would not be.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:23 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,576 times
old NYC

Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 AM

175 posts, read 487,128 times
clubs been dead in Manhattan. The best clubs are in brooklyn, queens and BX. The spanish clubs, the west indian clubs, they're poppin every weekend with people out the door

Old 07-25-2012, 10:09 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
dont know about you people but nyc nightlife rocks. especially when you leave nyc and see what you really have.

when i went to baltimore i didnt have many choices of clubs to go to and because of the lack of diversity everyone look pretty much the same.

new york city nightlife is fun if your young and open minded. Now if your a old man saying nyc nightlife sucks because the 70,s and 80,s isnt here no more then i have no explanation for that except for the fact that time changes move on.

and also new york city has loads of women. i love nyc and miami nightlife.

also in baltimore clubs closed at 2 am . In new york city i leave my house to go clubbing and enjoy the night at 1 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City