Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 12:16 PM

5,588 posts, read 2,772,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I don't really get why so many people think the party scene is dead in New York. Changed? Yes. Dead? Far, far from it.

Pre-pandemic, we went out every weekend and there were multiple good choices to choose from.

Don’t pay attention. It’s just us old farts wishing we were 19 again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 01:59 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,501,820 times
NYC nightlife started dying when Guiliani took over and started cracking down. During the 90s, NYC used to be loud noisy and tons of night life in almost every block downtown and west. Now it is so boring and dead.

You can literally walk to different clubs and bars those days and have a blast from 9pm until noon the next day. Eventually NYC became a 9pm-4am, then even worse. Once the transplants come here, the clubs mostly die at 1am. That's why so many clubs shutdown, because they can't make any money with transplants that don't stay late.

You go to other states and especially other countries some clubs open almost 24 hours.

Old 12-29-2020, 03:07 PM

65 posts, read 23,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
NYC nightlife started dying when Guiliani took over and started cracking down. During the 90s, NYC used to be loud noisy and tons of night life in almost every block downtown and west. Now it is so boring and dead.

You can literally walk to different clubs and bars those days and have a blast from 9pm until noon the next day. Eventually NYC became a 9pm-4am, then even worse. Once the transplants come here, the clubs mostly die at 1am. That's why so many clubs shutdown, because they can't make any money with transplants that don't stay late.

You go to other states and especially other countries some clubs open almost 24 hours.
I agree wholeheartedly. Drinking and socializing, perhaps drugs? Vapid people, repetitive music, and soulless venues? Sure, you can find it. But true clubs, dancing, and 24/7 kind of nightlife? That’s all gone. Living outside the US and traveling widely had me realizing that the nightlife abroad is a lot better than New York, in many cases.

Old 12-29-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxGyrl View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. Drinking and socializing, perhaps drugs? Vapid people, repetitive music, and soulless venues? Sure, you can find it. But true clubs, dancing, and 24/7 kind of nightlife? That’s all gone. Living outside the US and traveling widely had me realizing that the nightlife abroad is a lot better than New York, in many cases.
You look at most of the DJ videos on Youtube, they're always performing overseas. Other than doing Miami the only East Coast spot that has good night culture left. In Europe, especially around the mediterrean countries the club scene rivals the early 90s NYC days. In Asia, night culture is everywhere. People shop, eat, party, and sing. Bars and clubs are packed. Here, you look at NYC bars. It's barely as packed as it used to be.

Majority of millennials these days in NYC are becoming foodies rather than socialize at clubs. Back in the 90s you get laughed at if you tell folks you're gonna line up to eat at a new diner. My club friends we always hit the food joint early in the morning after clubbing. That's why so many 24/7 diners exist back then and now they're slowly dying. Because millennials rather eat overpriced ethnic foods than do diner food.

I don't care about druggies, prostitutes, strippers, and drunk folks everywhere in NYC back then there were more entertainment. Now it is so distilled of any culture and fun.

Old 12-29-2020, 03:31 PM

33,389 posts, read 46,795,323 times
Quote:

Can't have it all

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-29-2020, 04:19 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,387,587 times
Quote:
You look at most of the DJ videos on Youtube, they're always performing overseas. Other than doing Miami the only East Coast spot that has good night culture left. In Europe, especially around the mediterrean countries the club scene rivals the early 90s NYC days. In Asia, night culture is everywhere. People shop, eat, party, and sing. Bars and clubs are packed. Here, you look at NYC bars. It's barely as packed as it used to be.

Majority of millennials these days in NYC are becoming foodies rather than socialize at clubs. Back in the 90s you get laughed at if you tell folks you're gonna line up to eat at a new diner. My club friends we always hit the food joint early in the morning after clubbing. That's why so many 24/7 diners exist back then and now they're slowly dying. Because millennials rather eat overpriced ethnic foods than do diner food.

I don't care about druggies, prostitutes, strippers, and drunk folks everywhere in NYC back then there were more entertainment. Now it is so distilled of any culture and fun.
Spot On.

I started traveling to South America right after 9/11. My first training grounds was Tijuana believe it or not. It's like the 80's down there on a Sat night. The streets are packed with good looking women and guys out having fun. Cars are parading on the Blvd honking having fun. You cross the border into the USA and you can hear a pin drop.

Somewhere along the way we became a really boring people in America. It was almost like if it was done intentionally to quell the happiness that flowed through people. As the Guiliani era progressed a sense of guilt was bestowed upon people for having fun....DANCING of all things had to be crushed then tobacco then hours reduced....**** THAT ! As Malcom X said " You 've been bamboozled " .

Well I hope angry depressed people with nowhere to blow off steam is what people wanted to end up with. You got it unfortunately.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:53 PM

33,389 posts, read 46,795,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Spot On.

I started traveling to South America right after 9/11. My first training grounds was Tijuana believe it or not. It's like the 80's down there on a Sat night. The streets are packed with good looking women and guys out having fun. Cars are parading on the Blvd honking having fun. You cross the border into the USA and you can hear a pin drop.

Somewhere along the way we became a really boring people in America. It was almost like if it was done intentionally to quell the happiness that flowed through people. As the Guiliani era progressed a sense of guilt was bestowed upon people for having fun....DANCING of all things had to be crushed then tobacco then hours reduced....**** THAT ! As Malcom X said " You 've been bamboozled " .

Well I hope angry depressed people with nowhere to blow off steam is what people wanted to end up with. You got it unfortunately.
Everything is subject to change. Even the legendary reggae dancehalls in Brooklyn such as the Legendary Ark and the Biltmore Ballroom are gone. This is life.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-29-2020, 05:55 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,533,462 times
Quote:

This is an out of touch post. I know tons of transplants who are barflies who will stay out til 4AM even on weeknights.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:57 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,533,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I don't really get why so many people think the party scene is dead in New York. Changed? Yes. Dead? Far, far from it.

Pre-pandemic, we went out every weekend and there were multiple good choices to choose from.
You're right but it is currently dead because of the Pandemic and has been for like 9 months now, with probably at least 3-6 months before it picks up again.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
This is an out of touch post. I know tons of transplants who are barflies who will stay out til 4AM even on weeknights.
You and I might know some but it ain't the popular thing to do anymore. People in NYC aren't partying and bar hopping like it used to be. Now it is just a few blocks of bars. Have you actually been around in NYC in the 90s? There were bars every block in the LES, clubs, strip clubs on the west side, and now you drive around in NYC. Barely any life left even before covid. Majority of millennials today are only interested in sushi, ramen, smoked BBQ, and craft beer. How do I know? I work with a bunch of millennials at a tech company, their post-work life sucks vs mine back in the 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City