Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:46 PM

650 posts, read 2,516,698 times

Advertisements

I agree that you pretty much have to have a roommate.
I suggest Bay Ridge, you should be able to get a nice room in a nice building/location for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 08:03 AM

16 posts, read 23,980 times
You're definitely going to need a bigger budget or a lot of roommates. I moved here in 1994, and paid $725/month for a pretty broken down 1-bedroom. And that was when 5th Ave was scary and unsafe, before all the restaurants and bars moved in. Also be dubious of ads for rooms for rent. A typical bedroom here can be 8ft x 10 ft. Apartments are quite small here compared to around the country.

I second the suggestion of Queens or NJ. But even there, I think you will need some roommates.

The good thing is that so many people live with roommates in the city, it's no big deal.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:42 PM

6 posts, read 8,241 times
It depends on your budget - anything that can be reasonably labeled Park Slope, Prospect Heights or Windsor Terrace is extremely expensive. Beware of realtors stretching the boundaries of these areas - i.e. if they call it "Prospect Heights" but it's East of Washington Avenue, it's really Crown Heights, which isn't such a great area. For Park Slope I wouldn't go south of 22nd or 23rd Street.

Kensington is an OK area - a couple of blocks down Ocean Parkway, you're still in walking distance from the park, but at a much cheaper price.

Also beware of "Prospect Park South." This is a term that realtors have invented...it's really Flatbush and it's a pretty rough area.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlangnyc View Post
It depends on your budget - anything that can be reasonably labeled Park Slope, Prospect Heights or Windsor Terrace is extremely expensive. Beware of realtors stretching the boundaries of these areas - i.e. if they call it "Prospect Heights" but it's East of Washington Avenue, it's really Crown Heights, which isn't such a great area. For Park Slope I wouldn't go south of 22nd or 23rd Street.

Kensington is an OK area - a couple of blocks down Ocean Parkway, you're still in walking distance from the park, but at a much cheaper price.

Also beware of "Prospect Park South." This is a term that realtors have invented...it's really Flatbush and it's a pretty rough area.
funny thing about this, I have looked at a bunch of neighborhood maps going back the past hundred years and the area between Washington Ave to Franklin is actually a gray area, the area is considered to be both Prospect Heights and Crown Heights, depending on what map you look at. Though modern day translation it is considered Crown Heights, though I think the size of Crown Heights it is too big to label as one thing.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:41 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,616,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlangnyc View Post
The name Prospect Park South is actually very old, but the way realtors use it now is wrong.

Prospect Park South was one of the 19th century Victorian developments south of Prospect Park. It even had its own logo, two Ps and S interlocking, which you can still see on brick posts in the neighborhood: 05.prospect.park.south.church | | Forgotten New YorkForgotten New York

Realtors now lump all of the surviving Victorian developments together as "Ditmas Park," which is not strictly accurate. Then they use "Prospect Park South" to refer to the apartment house blocks immediately south of the park, which is also not accurate.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
The name Prospect Park South is actually very old, but the way realtors use it now is wrong.

Prospect Park South was one of the 19th century Victorian developments south of Prospect Park. It even had its own logo, two Ps and S interlocking, which you can still see on brick posts in the neighborhood: 05.prospect.park.south.church | | Forgotten New YorkForgotten New York

Realtors now lump all of the surviving Victorian developments together as "Ditmas Park," which is not strictly accurate. Then they use "Prospect Park South" to refer to the apartment house blocks immediately south of the park, which is also not accurate.
That is one of those areas I have heard people brag about how great it is and all the good restaurants the neighborhood has, but I have yet to actually find the Ditmas Park I hear people talk about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City