Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 26,137 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

Im moving to brooklyn in a month and just trying to get some last minute info! I have been lookin in the park slope are because i want to be around prospect park. I found an apartment in SOUTH park slope and just wanted any info on it about saftey/night life/general good place to live? I am 23 (f) and not dumb when it comes to walking around streets in the middle of the night by myslef.

also, besides park slope, any areas around prospect park that someone would suggest for a young woman to move?

thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Actually I am curious what your definition of South Park Slope is? I always hear different things from different people about this one.

I have been doing some apartment hunting and we have been looking in areas like NW Crown Heights and the North end of Kensignton. Depending on your definition, there is also Greenwood Heights (or the very northern end of Sunset Heights, depending on who you talk to) which is the area north of Greenwood cemetery and south of the interstate that divides South Park Slope.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:06 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually I am curious what your definition of South Park Slope is? I always hear different things from different people about this one.

I have been doing some apartment hunting and we have been looking in areas like NW Crown Heights and the North end of Kensignton. Depending on your definition, there is also Greenwood Heights (or the very northern end of Sunset Heights, depending on who you talk to) which is the area north of Greenwood cemetery and south of the interstate that divides South Park Slope.
YOUR definition is rather interesting, as there is NO "interstate" dividing Park Slope!

The "North" slope pretty much runs from Flatbush Ave to 3rd Street, or arguably to 9th Street.

The "South" slope, technically, runs from 3rd to 9th. Arguably, from 9th to Prospect Ave.

Greenwood/Greenwood Heights are indeed on the other side of the Prospect Expressway.

OP, you need to be more specific, as south slope is just too general, as it can mean different things depending upon who you are talking too. For natives, the slope is how I describe, Transplants tend to not know where they are.

The south slope is just fine as far as safety. Kensington and Windsor Terrace are other areas in and around Prospect Park.

Btw, what is your rental budget?

Old 07-17-2012, 11:15 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
YOUR definition is rather interesting, as there is NO "interstate" dividing Park Slope!

The "North" slope pretty much runs from Flatbush Ave to 3rd Street, or arguably to 9th Street.

The "South" slope, technically, runs from 3rd to 9th. Arguably, from 9th to Prospect Ave.

Greenwood/Greenwood Heights are indeed on the other side of the Prospect Expressway.

OP, you need to be more specific, as south slope is just too general, as it can mean different things depending upon who you are talking too. For natives, the slope is how I describe, Transplants tend to not know where they are.

The south slope is just fine as far as safety. Kensington and Windsor Terrace are other areas in and around Prospect Park.

Btw, what is your rental budget?
Sorry, that must of not been clear, I meant the interstate that separates South Park Slope and Greenwood, not separates North and South Park Slope.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:37 AM

18 posts, read 31,338 times
There are a bunch of areas around Prospect Park, they're decent, some however are better than others (in terms of of crime and safety, Park Slope is arguably one of the safest on the list.)

The areas around the park are:

Park Slope
South Slope
Kensington
Windsor Terrace
Prospect Heights
Prospect Lefferts Gardens
Prospect Park South

If you're looking for nightlife, coffee shops, and a for movie theater, then I'd check out Park Slope.

If you want easy transportation to and from Manhattan, I'd say check out Prospect Lefferts Gardens and Prospect Heights.

Windsor Terrace and Kensington are more like suburban styled. They're quiet (even though the highway is nearby) but not the best for transportation unless you plan to take the B16 which takes you from Fort Hamilton to Prospect Lefferts Gardens. Keep in mind, though, that they all surround the park. So it's great to smell some fresh air by living in these neighborhoods.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:55 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,840 times
Windsor Terrace is a good, safe area -- more affordable than Park Slope, but very close so you can still enjoy all of the shops and restaurants of the adjacent neighborhood. Try to stick close to the 15th St/Prospect Park subway stop along the F line.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 26,137 times
thank you all! this info is so helpful. so to answer some of your questions:

I dont have an exact location due to the fact that i havent visited the apartment yet and the post did not specify. it does say that the apartment is located "right between an R stop and an F/G stop, both are just blocks away". Im sure that does not help but thats all the info i have.

My budge is between $600-$850. i know that does not seem like alot and many people have been telling me its impossible but i have found several apartments within that budget.

But i am definitely going to check out Windsor Terrace due to how many of you have posted about it.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:12 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lojaa View Post
thank you all! this info is so helpful. so to answer some of your questions:

I dont have an exact location due to the fact that i havent visited the apartment yet and the post did not specify. it does say that the apartment is located "right between an R stop and an F/G stop, both are just blocks away". Im sure that does not help but thats all the info i have.

My budge is between $600-$850. i know that does not seem like alot and many people have been telling me its impossible but i have found several apartments within that budget.

But i am definitely going to check out Windsor Terrace due to how many of you have posted about it.
Either this is a troll post, or what you see are not apartments but rather rooms... Not even Brownsville has apartments for 600-850 anymore unless you're living in the projects...

Old 07-17-2012, 01:34 PM

106 posts, read 352,899 times
I'm a guy and I live around there, it's pretty safe IMO. I've even come home around 4 or 5 am in the morning. I know several people that live around there too, never heard a complaint. It's close to prime slope and the park and new businesses are popping up in the South part, it's great there.

If you want cheaper rent, you could consider going even more south. My friend lives near Church ave and he pays $650 for his portion of a 2 bedroom.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:33 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
OP, in your first foray into NYC life you need to become just a little jaded and understand there is a difference in 'reality' and listings on Craigslist! Many are just come ons!

A studio in Park Slope runs $1500 and up; a 1 bdrm begins near $2000; and average rents run $2K and $3K respectively. You may with a LOT of effort find some odd ferry small place possibly for a couple hundred less, but unlikely.

Your budget does not allow for you to live by yourself in Park Slope, nor any area considered 'nice' and 'safe'. You'll need to find a roommate, and then splitting $1800 you'd still be priced out. Your best option w/b try a roommate situation in Windsor Terrace (maybe??).

Prospect Lefferts Garden is a better possibility, BUT you need to be MUCH more street smart to live there; and many w/n deem it a safe neighborhood for a typical Transplant, white, female, single.

I STRONGLY suggest you look at Astoria, Queens, a more affordable area. You might get lucky and find a studio or basement apt in your budget, but it won't be the most modern place, nor the cleanest.

You can find a roommate situation within your budget range. $1600 is a fair price for a fair 2 bdrm apt in Astoria. The best 2 bdrm run $2K.

If being near a park is important then I suggest you concentrate in the 'Ditmars' area which has a nice park on the river and a public pool. Take the "N" train to Ditmars Blvd. The area is diverse with LOTS of shops and restaurants, and a half hour by subway to midtown Manhattan.

Do a forum search for several threads discussing Astoria and Ditmars.

NYC is VERY expensive, and your budget will dictate where you live. Unfortunately, most 'nice' places are above what you can afford. You can't just pick a place based on your desires. In NYC, such things cost and cost a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City