Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 02:49 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
I'll share my trick with you:

I make sure no one (who would ask, you can usually spot them) is around when I remove a smoke from the pack. If someone comes up to me while I'm smoking, I just say my pack is at my office and then I'd point to some building a few blocks away. Saying you only took one from your pack before you left your house works too, if there isn't an office tower around. Never say "it's my last one", but sometimes when I know it's my last one, I'll pull out my empty pack like I'm pretending to give them one and then show them the empty pack. They usually laugh or say "no problem" or something and I curse them under my breath when they're gone. When all else fails, just keep an empty pack on you and rotate a couple smokes into that empty pack.

It's crazy how aggressive people can get when they want a cigarette.
It's amazing how you have to give them a reason.
"I am sorry but no" should really suffice.
I become a cheap f*ck because you can't afford or don't want to spend your money on smokes?
We live in a very twist world.

bum: do you have an extra smoke?
me: last time i checked, there were 20 cigarettes in a pack. there were no extra

bum: i'm trying to quit, but do you have an extra smoke for me?
me: you're not quiting smoking! you just quit buying smokes!

Don't try the above... will get you in an "altercation" sooner or later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 02:54 PM

363 posts, read 817,432 times
Default Here's What You Do

I try to make a joke out of it. When they ask me for money I say "Man, I was just getting ready to ask you for some myself. Good luck with that." Then I continue doing what I was doing.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:10 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
A simple NO is enough. Forget about the empty pack trick, forget about making it a joke, forget about doing a strange dance to make them forget they asked you, just say NO.

If they don't take NO for an answer, walk away.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:30 PM

338 posts, read 676,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
i was smoking a cigarette and a guy comes up to me and asks for one.
i politely say "i am sorry but this is my last one."
he calls me a "cheap f*ck" and walks away.
i was so dumbfounded, i was totally lost for words.
I got something similar--a guy panhandled me as I was sitting in that little greenspace at the corner of 57th & 9th. I said no, I don't have anything and he called me a f*cking white b*tch. I said to him now you've just confirmed my decision not to give you anything!

Old 07-17-2012, 03:47 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
I got something similar--a guy panhandled me as I was sitting in that little greenspace at the corner of 57th & 9th. I said no, I don't have anything and he called me a f*cking white b*tch. I said to him now you've just confirmed my decision not to give you anything!
like i said... its a sick twisted world
i never realized i owed them anything

Old 07-17-2012, 03:56 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
i was smoking a cigarette and a guy comes up to me and asks for one.
i politely say "i am sorry but this is my last one."
he calls me a "cheap f*ck" and walks away.
i was so dumbfounded, i was totally lost for words.
Were you sorry?? Was it your last????

The guy probably picked up the fact that it wasn't your last and/or you weren't sorry, and you lied to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
I carry a can of small bear mace in my bag that I have as a back up.
Are you a girl?

If not what a wimp!

Why is it these people don't bother me?

Except for the smell, why are the homeless not a personal issue for me, but seem so for YOU people?

WHAT are you people reeking, that says; 'Homeless come F with me?'

I don't carry cigarettes anymore, but if I have and the circumstance is correct (gotta watch for set ups), I'll give. Usually I'll offer a couple of cigarettes, sometime I'll hand over the whole pack.

The look of amazement and gratitude when I give more than was asked is worth it.

I've seen homeless guys walking the sidewalks picking up butts. Must really suck, not to be able to afford cigarettes. What c/b more stressful than homelessness?

You all have the wrong attitude toward the homeless, that is why they F with you.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:58 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

I don't carry cigarettes anymore, but if I have and the circumstance is correct (gotta watch for set ups), I'll give. Usually I'll offer a couple of cigarettes, sometime I'll hand over the whole pack.

The look of amazement and gratitude when I give more than was asked is worth it.

I've seen homeless guys walking the sidewalks picking up butts. Must really suck, not to be able to afford cigarettes. What c/b more stressful than homelessness?

You all have the wrong attitude toward the homeless, that is why they F with you.
I do the same thing.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:02 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
"No. I'm not a tourist." said with a slight NYC accent usually gets them off my back.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:37 PM

338 posts, read 676,882 times
Quote:
Were you sorry?? Was it your last????

The guy probably picked up the fact that it wasn't your last and/or you weren't sorry, and you lied to him.
I love it when people get angry and tell you how you *should* have responded--what they're really mad about is the content of the response itself, that the answer was no, but they can't say that, so they get all bent out of shape about HOW you said it. All smoke and mirrors. So tell us, how should have responded to the loser who's leaning into your face demanding something? The loser is lucky he doesn't get maced. No one OWES him anything. Not the "truth" (which would have been "I don't give money to beggars"), not any kind of response at all. A polite fib is about the best you can ask for. Do you really expect someone to be sincerely sorry they don't have a cigarette to give to a stranger who demands it? Really?

I was standing on the sidewalk with some other friends and a younger guy, late 20s, comes up to us asking for money. One of us turned him down saying "we're broke" and he got all "mad." "Man, you ain't BROKE, you just don't want to give me MONEY but you ain't BROKE." In turn I snapped "you know nothing about us. Go away. You have no way of knowing how much money we have and we don't owe you anything." The entitlement of these losers! "Man, it's not WHAT you said it's HOW you said it." No, it's what we said--you're just pissed off the answer is no so you have to turn it into something else. Go away.

Quote:
Why is it these people don't bother me?

Except for the smell, why are the homeless not a personal issue for me, but seem so for YOU people?

WHAT are you people reeking, that says; 'Homeless come F with me?'
Well, speaking for myself I am very small and a female. I definitely have had my share of aggressive homeless men try to intimidate me, not that it ever works. But I do think it's my size and my gender. Who knows why the homeless are not an issue for you? Why are you taking other people's experiences so personally?

Old 07-17-2012, 05:00 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
For panhandlers asking for money, I just tell them no. However with cigarettes, if they offer to pay and pull out money to show intent, I let them have 1 on the house.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City