Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 02:09 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,650 times

Advertisements

My employer decides to move me from Midtown East to Union Square area and that would cause an issue for me getting to work? I already commute from Forest Hills to Midtown east, door to door 35-40 mins, sometimes 45 given the trains. It would be the same position but 14th and 3rd which is an extra 10-15 minutes. That puts me at almost an hour. I tried seeking options that would work like Queens or somewhere else along the E or F line but was told sorry, that's the breaks.

My GF works overnights and I have to be home to take care of my child. If I leave at 5 it's possible I will make her late to work of which she makes far more then me. I just want to know my options if I were to say I'm sorry I have to resign due to the distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 02:24 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Resigning would disqualify you for UI benefits.
UI is only awared when you lose your job to no fault of your own.
Can you arrange for somebody to look for your kid during those 15-30 mins?

I know it might not be easy, but have you or your GF requested a work schedule adjustment ?

Old 07-17-2012, 02:41 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Resigning would disqualify you for UI benefits.
UI is only awared when you lose your job to no fault of your own.
Can you arrange for somebody to look for your kid during those 15-30 mins?

I know it might not be easy, but have you or your GF requested a work schedule adjustment ?
Resigning does not completely disqualify someone from UI. You have to resign for "good cause" in order to possibly qualify for UI benefits.

Skilldeadly, can you make arrangements with the new office? You should have some flex time benefit with the company. I have it with mine. I can't be here at 8:30 so I come in later but leave later. Don't quit your job just for that.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Resigning does not completely disqualify someone from UI. You have to resign for "good cause" in order to possibly qualify for UI benefits.

Skilldeadly, can you make arrangements with the new office? You should have some flex time benefit with the company. I have it with mine. I can't be here at 8:30 so I come in later but leave later. Don't quit your job just for that.
You're right.
If you have a good cause. then you might still qualify....

Here's the list.

You may be eligible for benefits if:
  • You lost your job due to lack of work
  • The temporary or seasonal employment ended
  • Your job was eliminated
  • There was an involuntary reduction in force
  • The company downsized or shut down
  • The company restructured or reorganized
  • There was a lack of company operating funds/orders
  • You were out of work for any other business reason that you did not choose or control
  • Your employer discharged or fired you because you could not meet their performance or production standards, or their qualifications for the job
You may be denied benefits if you:
  • Were fired because you violated a company policy, rule or procedure, such as absenteeism or insubordination
  • Quit your job without good cause, such as a compelling personal reason
  • Are out of work because of a work stoppage (except for lockouts) in the last 49 days that violated an existing collective bargaining agreement where you worked

Old 07-17-2012, 02:55 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
You're right.
If you have a good cause. then you might still qualify....

Here's the list.

You may be eligible for benefits if:
  • You lost your job due to lack of work
  • The temporary or seasonal employment ended
  • Your job was eliminated
  • There was an involuntary reduction in force
  • The company downsized or shut down
  • The company restructured or reorganized
  • There was a lack of company operating funds/orders
  • You were out of work for any other business reason that you did not choose or control
  • Your employer discharged or fired you because you could not meet their performance or production standards, or their qualifications for the job
You may be denied benefits if you:
  • Were fired because you violated a company policy, rule or procedure, such as absenteeism or insubordination
  • Quit your job without good cause, such as a compelling personal reason
  • Are out of work because of a work stoppage (except for lockouts) in the last 49 days that violated an existing collective bargaining agreement where you worked
Unfortunately, this isn't a "good cause".

I like how it lists "compelling personal reason". Hmm, I wonder if "My boss is a complete !@#$%^&*()_+=?.,`~ ><" would work lol

Old 07-17-2012, 03:31 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
My employer decides to move me from Midtown East to Union Square area and that would cause an issue for me getting to work? I already commute from Forest Hills to Midtown east, door to door 35-40 mins, sometimes 45 given the trains. It would be the same position but 14th and 3rd which is an extra 10-15 minutes. That puts me at almost an hour. I tried seeking options that would work like Queens or somewhere else along the E or F line but was told sorry, that's the breaks.

My GF works overnights and I have to be home to take care of my child. If I leave at 5 it's possible I will make her late to work of which she makes far more then me. I just want to know my options if I were to say I'm sorry I have to resign due to the distance.
Sorry, but the thought of leaving your job for the above reason is the STUPIDEST, childish, most immature, irresponsible notion, besides having a child you cannot afford!

Your job is your life! Without it you have NOTHING!

How long you think your woman is going to watch you, the *man* sit around collecting unemployment while she works and brings home the beacon. I don't care how nice, how great the relationship, how understanding she may be, how in agreement, the clock will be ticking the moment you are unemployed!!

Sorry, that is just the way life works. Money is the number one relationship issue!!!

NEVER EVER depend on the government for ANYTHING! Depend on yourself and make decisions accordingly. You'll maintain your independence and you will be forced to make more appropriate decisions!

Btw, do you think all of us pay taxes so that you can collect our taxes, because of 15 MINUTES??? Because YOU made a very poor decision and brought a life into this world irresponsibly, WE SHOULD PAY???

Are you freaking serious???

It is attitudes like this that is causing the nation to go bankrupt! Every dollar you receive is money coming from others, and is money the nation MUST BORROW, because there isn't enough tax revenue to pay people like you!

Think about this!

More intelligent solutions below:

First, speak with your employer, explain your predicament, and ask to have your hours adjusted. Perhaps you can get in 15 minutes or whatever earlier, in order that you leave earlier.

Second, perhaps your GF can have her hours adjusted.

Third, find somebody to watch your kid for 30 minutes, PAY THEM!

Fourth, MOVE!!!!

Btw, what excuse will you provide unemployment for QUITTING your job? "My commute is 15 minutes longer"??? LMAO!

You do realize, we are in a recession!!! What assurance do you have that you will find another job? Find a job, before unemployment runs out? Find a job, before Mitt Romney puts a stop to the BS spending??!

Sorry, I'm slamming you, but your proposal deserves it.

Question: in exchange for government help, would you agree to a vasectomy???

I DO NOT have children, because I cannot afford them. It is a decision I have made. Given that I have made the right and proper decisions according to my life standards, please explain WHY **I** in the form of MY taxes must/should PAY YOU and YOUR kid???

Tea Party, Tea Party, Tea Party! No More Spending. Not another dime!
say NO to the Democrats! No, No, No, No Compromise!
where is the "fairness" Mr. Obama?

Is it fair, this guy has a kid, he can't afford, and I don't have one, I can afford?
where is the fairness Mr. Obama?
Grover Norquist, Cut, Cut, Cut!

Shall we be Greece....

Old 07-17-2012, 03:38 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Quote:
And, good cause w/b, the boss keeps grabbing my ass!

Quote:
Unfortunately, this isn't a "good cause".
FORTUNATELY, it isn't a "good cause"!

Old 07-17-2012, 03:57 PM

Gee man... There's no need to go batsh1t crazy. The guy is just asking a hypothetical question, and your answer (besides needlessly bashing the op) adds nothing new since the options you list were already mentioned.
I think you get something of a kick (or virtual high if you will) every time you chastise someone here. All your posts are confrontational and outright hostile. Why?
If you feel the guy is asking a stupid question, why even bother responding?

Old 07-17-2012, 03:58 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Sorry, but the thought of leaving your job for the above reason is the STUPIDEST, childish, most immature, irresponsible notion, besides having a child you cannot afford!

How long you think your woman is going to watch you, the *man* sit around collecting unemployment while she works and brings home the beacon. I don't care how nice, how great the relationship, how understanding she may be, how in agreement, the clock will be ticking the moment you are unemployed!!

Sorry, that is just the way life works. Money is the number one relationship issue!!!

NEVER EVER depend on the government for ANYTHING! Depend on yourself and make decisions accordingly. You'll maintain your independence and you will be forced to make more appropriate decisions!

Btw, do you think all of us pay taxes so that you can collect our taxes, because of 15 MINUTES??? Because YOU made a very poor decision and brought a life into this world irresponsibly, WE SHOULD PAY???

Are you freaking serious???

It is attitudes like this that is causing the nation to go bankrupt! Every dollar you receive is money coming from others, and is money the nation MUST BORROW, because there isn't enough tax revenue to pay people like you!

Think about this!

More intelligent solutions below:

First, speak with your employer, explain your predicament, and ask to have your hours adjusted. Perhaps you can get in 15 minutes or whatever earlier, in order that you leave earlier.

Second, perhaps your GF can have her hours adjusted.

Third, find somebody to watch your kid for 30 minutes, PAY THEM!

Fourth, MOVE!!!!

Btw, what excuse will you provide unemployment for QUITTING your job? "My commute is 15 minutes longer"??? LMAO!

You do realize, we are in a recession!!! What assurance do you have that you will find another job? Find a job, before unemployment runs out? Find a job, before Mitt Romney puts a stop to the BS spending??!

Sorry, I'm slamming you, but your proposal deserves it.

Question: in exchange for government help, would you agree to a vasectomy???

I DO NOT have children, because I cannot afford them. It is a decision I have made. Given that I have made the right and proper decisions according to my life standards, please explain WHY **I** in the form of MY taxes must/should PAY YOU and YOUR kid???

Tea Party, Tea Party, Tea Party! No More Spending. Not another dime!
say NO to the Democrats! No, No, No, No Compromise!
where is the "fairness" Mr. Obama?

Is it fair, this guy has a kid, he can't afford, and I don't have one, I can afford?
where is the fairness Mr. Obama?
Grover Norquist, Cut, Cut, Cut!

Shall we be Greece....
damn , i so hate it when i have to agree with you.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:08 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,514,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Wow, I feel sorry for anyone who goes through life with this mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: