Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 55,783 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have urgent need for help! My roommate and I found a great spacious apartment on 25th between 9th and 10th in Chelsea in New York (closer to corner on 9th). We just found out this is right next to the Elliott-Chelsea Housing Project. I did some research and it looks like this is comparatively high-crime area in the city - does anyone know more info on this? Anyone lived in the area? My roommate and I are both mid-20s females and don't want to go through with it if it is not safe.

Thanks so much!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:31 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityuser7811 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have urgent need for help! My roommate and I found a great spacious apartment on 25th between 9th and 10th in Chelsea in New York (closer to corner on 9th). We just found out this is right next to the Elliott-Chelsea Housing Project. I did some research and it looks like this is comparatively high-crime area in the city - does anyone know more info on this? Anyone lived in the area? My roommate and I are both mid-20s females and don't want to go through with it if it is not safe.

Thanks so much!!!
That area is pretty much gentrified aside from the projects but those PJs do come up in the news every once in awhile. For a manhattan pj aside from harlem and Les, it isn't one of the best. Most of the problems are in-house though... I say use caution but you should be ok

Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 PM

3 posts, read 55,783 times
Thank you! I thought the area was fine until I did a little research and there were 3 shootings and a stabbing in past 2 weeks... of course these all happen somewhat late at night but I'd rather air on the cautious side. Anyone else's comments are appreciated as well! Thanks

Old 07-18-2012, 12:11 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,987 times
I'd live in that neighborhood no problem. Especially if you got a great deal.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:57 AM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
They had a homicide about a week ago, fwiw.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
It's probably still dicey.

Back in the day, gay men who wanted to get from The West Village to The Spike and Eagle's Nest (far West 19th-21st) were warned to take a cab rather than walk near these projects because of Probably better now, but giving them a wide berth is not a bad idea. When possible go AROUND them rather than THROUGH them.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:21 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,624,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It's probably still dicey.

Back in the day, gay men who wanted to get from The West Village to The Spike and Eagle's Nest (far West 19th-21st) were warned to take a cab rather than walk near these projects because of Probably better now, but giving them a wide berth is not a bad idea. When possible go AROUND them rather than THROUGH them.

We must be of the same age bracket, because I remember Eagle (the original) & Spike, (now an art gallery) well. me and my BFF walked the block after Spike and then West Side. It was so sketchy and desolate back in the olden days. But wasn't that why it was so much fun......my BFF lived on 8th and 16th which was not the greatest anyway at that time, but fortunetely my BFF is hispanic, and I am very ethnic looking myself so no one ever bothered us. so us walking down the blocks we looked like we belonged, not like to flaming queens skipping down the street.

I think it is pretty safe for the poster to live there, just dont walk thru the pjs.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,019 times
This is a very affluent area. If you can afford to live there you should certainly avail yourself.
The projects are mostly kept under control given this affluence, as people hope will be the case with the project complexes in Harlem. Chelsea has changed tremendously even just since I was growing up.

The area has a lot of traffic - spill over from night life, etc., and thus, crimes. But they are always between people who know each other, who are in a dispute, using drugs, whatever. Whereas in Harlem there are random attacks and acts of violence that receive a significant impetus in ghetto culture. The yahoo-ers are attempting to deny this, claiming that crime in Harlem is similar to what I described for Chelsea, but this is baloney and hype from the politically correct and from those who intend to make money from their Harlem real estate investments. Anyone who contemplates moving to Harlem should be keenly aware of this.

I think I am saying - not all crime is created equal, and whatever crime exists in Chelsea should not deter you from moving there. Or it would certainly not deter me, especially given the amenities and so on.

Also - from around the last 10 years, I have often walked through the projects. There are many elderly residents. If you need a point of comparison, come on up to the Frederick Douglass Houses and investigate. Those are problem projects. Simply not the same things going on at all.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:26 AM

23 posts, read 63,216 times
If you dont take it, let me have the detials because I sure the hell will lol

Old 07-18-2012, 09:59 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,390,804 times
The NYCHA in Chelsea usually does not have an impact on the surrounding area, meaning that while there are incidents, at times, in the housing, such issues do not involve innocent bystanders. There is also some pretty expensive real estate in immediate proximity, in The Heywood Building, directly on 9th Avenue with prices that range up to about $8M for the penthouses.

If you like the apartment, I do not think you would have a problem with the area, but would use regular city street smarts as in staying out of the NYCHA if you don't belong there, etc. 9th Avenue is busy, as noted above, and you are not far from the Penn South cooperative, which is a stable middle-class development that has been an anchor in the neighborhood, since its construction, even when part of the surrounding area was in a declined state.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City