Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 12:05 PM

8 posts, read 35,143 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family is considering a move to the suburbs. We would, however, like to keep my husband's commute to Wall Street to an hour or less each way. Does anyone have recommendations? We are looking for a home (no more than about $800K) to purchase.... great schools/financially sound public school system..... places where we can send our kids for after school activities..... some local restaurants/shops would be a plus but suburban is okay, too..... We do not want to move to Queens/Brooklyn/etc. since we are also looking for a decent amount of outdoor space and public schools (I know there are good publics in Brooklyn and what not, but this is not the route we want to go). Does this exist? Can it be done? :/ We like the Armonk/Chappaqua area but wonder if it's going to be too far. Also considered Montclair, NJ so far.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 12:08 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Glen Ridge would be a better option that Montclair if you're looking in that area. Its one stop closer, the schools are better, and it doesn't have a huge municipal debt problem like Montclair. Also, as Montclair is right next door, you can still go there for the shops, restaurants and whathaveyou.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 PM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Since you are looking outside of NYC, you might want to post your question on the NJ, CT. and NY state forums.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:13 PM

233 posts, read 720,550 times
Have you considered Long Island? I definitely think the commute could be less than an hour since a lot of LIRR trains run express during peak hours and the 2/3 subway to Wall Street is right at penn station.

As far as $800,000 you'll be surprised how little that buys on LI along with property taxes in the 15K-20K range. I hear that the school districts on LI are some of the best in the country, but you get what you pay for (hence the high taxes) and there are a bunch of trees and outdoor space for kids. I personally like the north shore of long island. Great Neck, Manhasset, Port Washington.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:48 PM

240 posts, read 621,759 times

-"Try not to move too much or they'll tighten up on you"

THAT'S the ONLY recommendation I have for your douchebag hubby who works on Wall St.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:12 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_boy View Post
Have you considered Long Island? I definitely think the commute could be less than an hour since a lot of LIRR trains run express during peak hours and the 2/3 subway to Wall Street is right at penn station.

As far as $800,000 you'll be surprised how little that buys on LI along with property taxes in the 15K-20K range. I hear that the school districts on LI are some of the best in the country, but you get what you pay for (hence the high taxes) and there are a bunch of trees and outdoor space for kids. I personally like the north shore of long island. Great Neck, Manhasset, Port Washington.
Long Island is the worst for Wall Street. You either have to deal with Penn and then take the subway downtown or go through Atlantic and take an already crowded 2/3/4/5 train another 15 minutes or so from Brooklyn to Manhattan. New Jersey's probably the best if you can do NJT to Hoboken and switch to PATH. Yes, it also involves a transfer, but not going through all of Brooklyn or Queens means that trip times are shorter and overall it's cheaper (LIRR monthlies are more expensive on the whole due to greater distances and PATH is cheaper than the subway per trip and unlimited).

Old 07-19-2012, 08:22 PM

640 posts, read 717,535 times
Check out Amaganset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City