Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 PM

108 posts, read 171,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Yes, make thing better but I have seen that a SURE way to make them worse for the poor is to privatize ANYTHING.
Bet you're a big fan of the NYC teachers' union.

Quote:
How about planting a few thousand of those white flowering pear trees that can live in ANYTHING?
White flowering pear trees. Now there's a solution!

Quote:
But the goal of the projects is not just to HOUSE the poor, but to demean them as well. So when the demeanors come up with a PLAN, the demeaned know enough to be very wary.

Is it NYCHA's goal to demean the project-dwellers? Or Mayor Bloomberg's? Or the city government generally? Who exactly is sitting around plotting to demean them?

And how are they demeaned, if not by being ghettoized with other poor people and criminals into cellblock-like towers, with no stores or businesses nearby?

Last edited by humboldt; 07-25-2012 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:33 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,904 times
I wish they would

Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Is it NYCHA's goal to demean the project-dwellers? Or Mayor Bloomberg's? Or the city government generally? Who exactly is sitting around plotting to demean them?
Just read the previous 81 posts and you will see MANY who are eager to demean the poor. The original planning for the projects to be built AWAY from others is demeaning. Every NYCHA housing budget is demeaning. The fact that you cannot see it is a testiment to how used to the concept of demeaning the poor you are. Every shirking NYCHA worker is demeaning, Allowing urine to lay in hallways is demeaning, bars on doors and windows is demeaning, parched landscapes of dust is demeaning, broken elevators that go unrepaired are demeaning, lacl of policing is demeaning, dirt is demeaning, garbage smells are demeaning.

"Demeaning" is institutionalized from bottom to top.
Only the blind or a racist bigot would not see that...or CLAIM not to.

When a system is set up to behave in a ceertain way, one does not need a mayor sitting around plotting how to run it. It RUNS the way it was set up.

Do you think that ANYONE would live in a project if he had a choice... why not? Becasue it's DEMEANING and everyone KNOWS it's DEMEANING. And it's not by accident that it's DEMEANING. Over nearly a century the warehousing of the poor has been carefully crafted to be the way it is.

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-26-2012 at 06:26 AM..

Old 07-26-2012, 08:57 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
all the projects is is a form of segregation
based on class. that's exactly how the
ghetto mentality is being perpetuated too.
most people don't escape it either.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:21 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Who, exactly, is "perpetuating" this "ghetto mentality" ? Do tell.

The projects are segregated, for one thing, because working people of any sort do not want to live around ghetto culture - not even a little.

Regarding trees. The city came and planted some young trees in front of the buildings on one of the worst blocks of lower Convent. They built small wooden fences around each tree for protection.

Day 1. At least one side of each little fence is broken down. The unsupervised children and adolescents who are out on the block, day and night, enjoy kicking at them.

Day 2. One of the trees is entirely missing its little fence, and candy and cake wrappers decorate its branches. All of the bases of the trees have been recognized as "found" trash and litter receptacles and they are being used as such. Why use the receptacle on the corner when you can "think outside the box"? Yeah.

Day 3. Walking home one evening around 10 PM, we observe two ten or so year-old boys emerge from one of the buildings, unaccompanied by any adults. They stop in front of one of the trees, kick at one of the remaining wooden slates until it is dislodged, pick up the board, and they move east on 126th Street in the direction of the St. Nicholas projects. Using the former fence slat as a club, they smash each and every parked car with it. No doubt, they continued until reaching their destination.

Meanwhile ... with others in the neighborhood, we are trying to care for the trees and while we do so the ghetto tenants watch us with amusement from their posts on the building stoops.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
The idea that YOU are somehow gracing the neighborhood with your presence, and "caring for it" is kind of a joke. We can all agree that Harlem residents, including many of those you label as ghetto, are the ones who have saved Harlem and are saving Harlem. Not you or the RECENT people who moved in. Remeber your quote: "The projects are segregated, for one thing, because working people of any sort do not want to live around ghetto culture - not even a little." Sure there are those in every neighborhood, in particular kids (that's what kids do you know) who don't value things, destroy and vanadalize sometimes, but many residents do care. Where were you 20 years ago when the residents were planning all the things you see now to make it possible for you to tolerate living amongst these ghetto folks?

I am glad to see you are caring for the neighborhood, but you are not the only one doing it, locals are in fact driving the changes and I take great offense that you allege otherwise.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:57 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
the conditions of being raised in the ghettos
from day one forward perpetuates the "don't
give an ef" ghetto mentality. it's not that
hard to tell. it's something short of a life
sentence.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
The idea that YOU are somehow gracing the neighborhood with your presence, and "caring for it" is kind of a joke. We can all agree that Harlem residents, including many of those you label as ghetto, are the ones who have saved Harlem and are saving Harlem. Not you or the RECENT people who moved in. Remeber your quote: "The projects are segregated, for one thing, because working people of any sort do not want to live around ghetto culture - not even a little." Sure there are those in every neighborhood, in particular kids (that's what kids do you know) who don't value things, destroy and vanadalize sometimes, but many residents do care. Where were you 20 years ago when the residents were planning all the things you see now to make it possible for you to tolerate living amongst these ghetto folks?

I am glad to see you are caring for the neighborhood, but you are not the only one doing it, locals are in fact driving the changes and I take great offense that you allege otherwise.
Corrections to mistakes. We are neither "new" nor are we "recent." Far from it. My significant other is FROM Harlem and family is everywhere in Harlem. They have lived in Harlem since quite early in the 20th century. We have lived here together for more than ten years. Guess how I know that working people do not want to live around ghetto people. Because we are related to some of them, and others are our good friends. So ... while I appreciate your own attempt to "enlighten," shall we say, it's okay. Not needed.

Moreover. The ghetto people are not "saving" Harlem. If you mean Harlem people, well, that's a different story. But inexplicably, you stated, "the ghetto people ..." There are many long-time residents that are working on great projects but AGAIN, these are scarcely "ghetto people."

Old 07-26-2012, 01:25 PM

I would add, finally, that we ARE "locals." So I am scarcely "alleging" anything.
Not sure where all of that came from given that I have stated these facts elsewhere, and many times, to indicate my own perspective.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:04 PM

23 posts, read 63,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I would add, finally, that we ARE "locals." So I am scarcely "alleging" anything.
Not sure where all of that came from given that I have stated these facts elsewhere, and many times, to indicate my own perspective.

How did YOU become WE? I thought he was reffering to YOU and you keep saying WE.
No shade....just wondering if you both use this name or????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City