Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 10:02 PM

100 posts, read 174,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyalltheway View Post
Jonslingerr and everyone, I just received a canvas letter for the Mental Hygiene legal service unit. So...I guess I am debating. I am at a job that is paying a bit (I actually work the state so fortunately my retirement most likely should transfer over) but my boss is a douche and I have been applying to still get into my field and I just don't want to take this job if I know I will get hired elsewhere with even a better salary. I have been applying aggressivly so I don't know what to do. But the perks are attractive, 20 vacation days which is 4 weeks of vacay along with 12 holidays I mean...I don't know....Decisions, decisions...I will have to truly think about it. But this isn't a job offer anyway and some folks have been going on interviews with no avail. So maybe I will just say I'm interested and see what happens then.
I would say just respond to the canvass and say you are interested. You aren't guaranteed an interview. Even when you do get an interview and you go in I would suggest you accept the job offer. Again accepting doesn't guarantee you will get the job. They will call you if you are offered the job, if not you will get a rejection letter or sometimes nothing at all. And when they do call you to offer you the job, you can still decline to take the job. So you have a lot of leeway. It doesn't hurt to just go through the process.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 06:34 PM

189 posts, read 286,530 times
For this position - is it like a Part Clerk??

Old 04-19-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plbplb View Post
For this position - is it like a Part Clerk??
Technically the courts can use you however they want but no, court assistants are more like court office assistants. You'll most likely be working in an office.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:34 PM

Has anyone been canvassed for the court assistant jg-16 title? Just wondering if the list is still active...

Old 05-27-2017, 08:14 PM

Okay never mind, got canvassed today (answered my own question). So apparently the list is still active even though the exam is coming up again in October. Damn, can't believe I took this exam almost 7 years ago!

Old 07-01-2017, 04:06 PM

34 posts, read 52,103 times
Does anyone have study guide recommendations? I've found Passbooks to be useless, and I purchased another court assistant guide which was of very little help. I have 8 years of experience in admin and data entry, so data matching and checking is just a regular day for me. I really just need help with the legal and court aspects.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleslaw View Post
Does anyone have study guide recommendations? I've found Passbooks to be useless, and I purchased another court assistant guide which was of very little help. I have 8 years of experience in admin and data entry, so data matching and checking is just a regular day for me. I really just need help with the legal and court aspects.
Concept review is offering a 3 day prep class for the exam:

Court Assistant Exam

I heard they're pretty good but honestly I don't think the class is worth it. Other than legal terms you won't really have to learn anything. Most of it is using common sense, paying attention to details, having organizational skills and having a decent understanding of grammar in the English language. If you're in the court system you should take it because most unions will reimburse you for the class.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:28 PM

11 posts, read 69,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy99 View Post
Technically the courts can use you however they want but no, court assistants are more like court office assistants. You'll most likely be working in an office.
Note: Court Assistants work in the Support units/Parts in Family Court, in every other court it will probably be in an office. Also I have learned since being in the system that most of these positions are in Family court and the County Clerks offices. In other words these jobs are not plentiful downstate.

Last edited by missroz55; 09-06-2017 at 08:40 PM..

Old 09-06-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missroz55 View Post
Thanks for that information. Since my private sector position didn't pan out, I have just accepted a CA position in the County Clerks office. I will be taking that CC exam coming up in May to as you said max out my salary nicely.
Update: I am ranked #32 on the Senior Court Clerk exam and should be promoted in the near future. As you said, it is possible to move up quickly.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy99 View Post
Concept review is offering a 3 day prep class for the exam:

Court Assistant Exam

I heard they're pretty good but honestly I don't think the class is worth it. Other than legal terms you won't really have to learn anything. Most of it is using common sense, paying attention to details, having organizational skills and having a decent understanding of grammar in the English language. If you're in the court system you should take it because most unions will reimburse you for the class.
I agree with CityGuy's assessment of the class, however I found their method of constructing the chart of information very helpful, which will save you time on the test. The test is not hard, but it does purposely try to trick you and make you second guess your answers. Time management is critical!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City