Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 08:30 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times

Advertisements

^^^^^ Well I guess one anecdotal story trumps the millions of responsible gun owners..

FWIW police have a higher gun crime/accident ratio than private citizens with CCW's....

But, don't allow me to ruin your emotional strawmen with facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 09:47 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there is no benefit to having armed people around you. thats like other people having fire insurance and you dont

Fire insurance doesn't stop your house from burning down, so I guess you are saying you will still get shot even if you own a gun...

Old 07-29-2012, 09:51 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Much as I've come to despise Bloomberg - who has really turned me against ultra-rich people running for office, which didn't used to bother me - I have to say that I like him speaking up for gun control, apropos of the Aurora Batman killings. Apparently neither Obama nor Romney said anything against the availability of guns in this context, and in this case, Bloomberg's money does exactly what it's supposed to do - it insulates him from pressure from the NRA. (Of course, it's also probably relevant that he's not currently running for anything.)

Levin to Bloomberg: You Go Around Without Armed Bodyguards I'll Think About Turning In My Weapons - YouTube

Old 07-29-2012, 12:41 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
That might be the funniest thing I've heard all week. The Upper West Side... has culture?

By the way, the Castro is in the Sun Belt (but I'll assume you didn't know that since there are so many things you've demonstrated ignorance of already - what's one more thing?).
The Upper West Side has no culture?

Upper West Side - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who is the ignorant?

Also, the Castro is in San Francisco, which isn't part of the SunBelt

Sun Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Again, who is the ignorant?
Get an education: if you live in a Blue state getting an education is supposed to be easier than in a Red state

Old 07-29-2012, 01:48 PM

458 posts, read 616,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
The Upper West Side has no culture?

Upper West Side - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who is the ignorant?

Also, the Castro is in San Francisco, which isn't part of the SunBelt
LOL ok the UWS has museums! Wow so cultural! do you even know what culture is?

And, um, yeah, SF is in the Sun Belt: Sun Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So much for Blue State education! HAHAHA sorry you crack me up. "Again, who is the ignorant?"

Old 07-29-2012, 05:07 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That's funny because that is the same thing I hear over and over from the pro gun crowd is nothing but assigned talking points...and I have yet to see the benefit of having armed people around me. If any is pulling out a gun, that is not a good situation to be in period.
What about the police? Do you trust the police to protect you?

What about the 71 year old man in Florida who was legally carrying and took out the two youngsters that were in the process of robbing an internet cafe?

Old 07-29-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Yep cause nothing says good protection that the ability to randomly spray bullets. You know what is better to defend yourself than high capacity magazines...being trained how to properly shoot a gun.

Also, you live in a country that does most of its things off of isolated incidents, remember when two planes flew into a couple buildings....try getting on a plane without being fully searched.
Idiots a.k.a. criminals just randomly spray bullets. They rarely, if never train at all and hold their guns sideways like gangstas. On the other hand, cops, soldiers, and responsible gun owners are taught that every bullet that misses has to hit something, and if an innocent bystander is hit the person who pulled the trigger is held responsible.

In this day and age, its unfortunate that we all have to be strip searched before boarding a plane, so on that note I agree with you.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
There's more art, architecture, beauty, history, charm in one block of the Upper West Side or the Castro than in the 99% of the SunBelt cities
True, NYC probably has one of the oldest infrastructures in the US, so I would expect it to have all the art, architecture, beauty etc etc.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I have yet to see the benefit of having armed people around me. If any[one] is pulling out a gun, that is not a good situation to be in period.
There are about 1 million crimes a year thwarted due to the almost-victim using a gun for self-defense. Just count yourself as lucky that you have needed one yet. Of course, since you're anti-gun, when it happens to you you'll have no means of fighting back and will actually be a victim.

Also, I can think of hundreds of situations in which I'd really hope a nearby law-abiding citizen has a gun - if not me. Technically, you could say I could think of approximately 1 million situations a year

Old 07-29-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
True, NYC probably has one of the oldest infrastructures in the US, so I would expect it to have all the art, architecture, beauty etc etc.
The history in NYC is maybe 100 years old as anything older has been bulldozed several times over, which puts it more recent than many of the cities he listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City