Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 05:19 PM

681 posts, read 1,665,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Gun nuts cling to their Bibles and guns. Ignorance and superstition go hand in hand.

Gun nuts claim the guns they keep at home are for protection, but how many time you hear them speaking about the tragedies those same guns cause?
The fact of the matter is that households with guns are more likely to be used for suicide, children shooting themselves or other children, and of course, accidental shooting of a relative.

Here's recent news story that gun nuts prefer not read.

A police officer shot and killed his own son, when mistakenly thinking he was an intruder.

Police officer shoots and kills his adult son, mistaking him*for an intruder, in Old Forge, NY* - NY Daily News
Not everyone who owns a gun is responsible. Adults have the main responsibility of educating kids not to play with guns or handle them in the absence of adult supervision. Yes accidents happen, suicides happen. many accidents happen inside the home. Heck, I walked in the dark in the basement and jammed my little toe into the leg of a chair. Anyways, even if a gun wasn't available there are plenty of other ways to kill yourself.

The accident of the officer (who we trust with a firearm and trust to protect the public with) shooting his own son is tragic. That's a mistake he'll have to live with for the rest of his life....so sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Fire insurance doesn't stop your house from burning down, so I guess you are saying you will still get shot even if you own a gun...
I've been around firearms all my life and haven't gotten shot yet. Knock on wood.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
There are about 1 million crimes a year thwarted due to the almost-victim using a gun for self-defense. Just count yourself as lucky that you have needed one yet. Of course, since you're anti-gun, when it happens to you you'll have no means of fighting back and will actually be a victim.

Also, I can think of hundreds of situations in which I'd really hope a nearby law-abiding citizen has a gun - if not me. Technically, you could say I could think of approximately 1 million situations a year
Come on, she can still fight back! She can kick, scream, use her fingernails and swing her purse while looking for her phone so she can dial 911!

The next thing the mayor is going after now is baby formula!!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...est=latestnews

Last edited by Mr. Chad; 07-29-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 06:51 PM

458 posts, read 614,378 times
I don't read Fox or MSNBC on principle, do you have another link?

Old 07-29-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I don't read Fox or MSNBC on principle, do you have another link?
Ohh sure, I sure would not want to violate your conscience:

Mayor Bloomberg pushing NYC hospitals to hide baby formula so more new mothers will breast-feed - NYPOST.com

Mayor Bloomberg bans baby formula...

Old 07-29-2012, 08:36 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,045,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
What about the police? Do you trust the police to protect you?

What about the 71 year old man in Florida who was legally carrying and took out the two youngsters that were in the process of robbing an internet cafe?
depends on what you mean by trust the police, for the most part I do trust them when it comes to them being trained how to use a gun, beyond that it all depends on the officer and the police force he works for...NYPD, I don't really trust that much, but overall they do do their job and do have a positive benefit, but often times go overboard and do things that become questionable to illegal.

As for the 71yr old man, I don't know, never heard the story so I can't really say much about it other than what you have said in that one sentence...so I guess good for him.

Quote:
Idiots a.k.a. criminals just randomly spray bullets. They rarely, if never train at all and hold their guns sideways like gangstas. On the other hand, cops, soldiers, and responsible gun owners are taught that every bullet that misses has to hit something, and if an innocent bystander is hit the person who pulled the trigger is held responsible.

In this day and age, its unfortunate that we all have to be strip searched before boarding a plane, so on that note I agree with you.
Not all idiots with guns are criminals, sometimes they are just idiots...and you are right, rarely do gangs properly train how to use a gun.

Cops, soldiers, and those who have had proper training with how to use a gun I am okay with, personally I think it should be mandatory for anyone wanting to buy a gun to take proper training on how to use one, you can't drive a car without taking a driving test, gun safety should be treated the same way.

Quote:
Not everyone who owns a gun is responsible. Adults have the main responsibility of educating kids not to play with guns or handle them in the absence of adult supervision. Yes accidents happen, suicides happen. many accidents happen inside the home. Heck, I walked in the dark in the basement and jammed my little toe into the leg of a chair. Anyways, even if a gun wasn't available there are plenty of other ways to kill yourself.

The accident of the officer (who we trust with a firearm and trust to protect the public with) shooting his own son is tragic. That's a mistake he'll have to live with for the rest of his life....so sad.
It is good to see we agree because you just answered your own question that I answered right above this one. Not every gun owner is responsible and eliminating the possibility for accidents and tragic events should be a priority with proper training and the understanding of how dangerous a gun can be.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,045,128 times
Quote:
There are about 1 million crimes a year thwarted due to the almost-victim using a gun for self-defense. Just count yourself as lucky that you have needed one yet. Of course, since you're anti-gun, when it happens to you you'll have no means of fighting back and will actually be a victim.

Also, I can think of hundreds of situations in which I'd really hope a nearby law-abiding citizen has a gun - if not me. Technically, you could say I could think of approximately 1 million situations a year
Out of those million crimes thwarted a year, how many people have you had to shoot this past year or in your life? I could never be one to pull the trigger to shoot another human being, it is something I could never live with. If you can, you are more man than I, I guess....and I hope you never have to shoot someone for any reason.

Also, I keep trying to point this out over and over and over, hopefully it will eventually sink in. I am completely okay with people wanting guns and wanting to carry and the whole self defense thing. All I want is better regulations, better training before handing a gun to anyone, and limiting the availability of truly lethal weapons that sole purpose is for killing and heavy military use.

As for the hundred of situations that you have been in that you wished you had a gun....maybe you should not be putting yourself in dangerous situations...I can think of zero times that I wished I had a gun or someone around me had a gun...guess my tolerance for fear must be much higher than yours or you like to hang around very dangerous areas....

Old 07-29-2012, 09:12 PM

10,220 posts, read 19,132,533 times
Quote:
Also, I keep trying to point this out over and over and over, hopefully it will eventually sink in. I am completely okay with people wanting guns and wanting to carry and the whole self defense thing. All I want is better regulations, better training before handing a gun to anyone, and limiting the availability of truly lethal weapons that sole purpose is for killing and heavy military use.
The handguns most useful for self defense are truly lethal and designed for killing -- usually killing people. So when you say this, you contradict yourself.

Quote:
As for the hundred of situations that you have been in that you wished you had a gun....maybe you should not be putting yourself in dangerous situations.
This amounts to ceding your world to thugs. It's one thing to decide as a practical matter to avoid a dangerous situation. It's quite another to decide it's wrong to enter one.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Out of those million crimes thwarted a year, how many people have you had to shoot this past year or in your life? I could never be one to pull the trigger to shoot another human being, it is something I could never live with.
I've never had to shoot anyone. I've also never had to file a life, a fire, or even a car insurance claim, but I still have them all.

Quote:
All I want is better regulations, better training before handing a gun to anyone, and limiting the availability of truly lethal weapons that sole purpose is for killing and heavy military use.
I agree - states probably should mandate a brief training period before you're allowed to carry a gun in public, just like you must take driving lessons before you can drive a car on public roads. As for limiting lethal weapons, that I can't get behind as it's defeats half the point of owning a gun. One only owns a gun for two reasons: 1) recreational shooting 2) as a lethal weapon of self-defence.

Quote:
As for the hundred of situations that you have been in that you wished you had a gun...
I never said I have been in a situation in which a gun would have been necessary. I said I can think of hundreds of such situations. They happen all the time, just not to me... yet.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:48 PM

In other news, 270,000,000 firearms owned by law-abiding citizens were used perfectly responsibly today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City