Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 12:13 PM

458 posts, read 616,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Was high capacity magazines used in this situation and other situations like what happened with the Congresswoman in Arizona? If yes, then that is why they should be banned.
That argument doesn't make sense. Since we already know you support the right to own guns, how do you respond to this argument:

"Was a pistol used in this situation and other situations like it? If yes, then pistols should be banned."

Or: "Was a shirt worn by the killer in this situation and other situations like it? If yes, then shirts should be banned."

My point is that correlation =/= causation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
AR does NOT mean assault rifle....ignorance continues!
So by YOUR logic, if something is used in a crime, that object needs to be outlawed? So he wore clothes, had guns, drove a car, had a knife, was on prescription drugs...specifically related to mental issues.

HMMM.....which item stands out as most LIKELY leading to this tragedy?

Maybe if he had to walk to the theater with all that gear he would have been stopped and questioned before arriving? Maybe he would have been too tired after walking and carrying all of that stuff.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:21 PM

There are OTHER similarities to these events:

1. People gathering......maybe we could limit the casualties by not gathering!
2. Gun free zones........all of these things happen in gun free zones!
3. Mentally disturbed individuals.
4. Soda pop...how many victims also had soda pop in that theater...maybe he only shot people with a soda.

Now, WHICH one could have made it more difficult? NOT having gun-free zones...it's proven that criminals ignore the zone and it leaves everyone else helpless!

Old 07-31-2012, 12:21 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
That argument doesn't make sense. Since we already know you support the right to own guns, how do you respond to this argument:

"Was a pistol used in this situation and other situations like it? If yes, then pistols should be banned."

Or: "Was a shirt worn by the killer in this situation and other situations like it? If yes, then shirts should be banned."

My point is that correlation =/= causation.
Well a rocket launcher wasn't used in this crime so I guess by your logic they should be legal too...maybe it is your logic that doesn't make sense...

Old 07-31-2012, 12:25 PM

^^^ no one but you anti gunners has mentioned rocket launchers...why do you need extremely tinted strawman arguments...can't you just make a case without being ridiculous?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post

4. Soda pop...how many victims also had soda pop in that theater...maybe he only shot people with a soda.

Now, WHICH one could have made it more difficult? NOT having gun-free zones...it's proven that criminals ignore the zone and it leaves everyone else helpless!
Not changing my point of view on this...you can go in the deep end of the pool with your comparisons all you want. But from the beginning I have said the same thing and I am not changing my opinion about this.

Heck if everyone was armed they could of had a good ol'fashion shoot out too, I guess that would be the other end of the pool if you want to play that stupid game.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:30 PM

Okay, so DEFINE High capacity then...

Now explain how banning them would have prevented this...

You're using that tired old "shootouts" argument again....tell me, since the increase of CCW's and gun ownership, where are all of these shootouts?

Over 200,000,000 guns in the US. If guns equal shootouts, shouldn't there be millions of shootouts everyday?

Oh, you don't like the deep end? Then why do you continually go there? Hmm...something, something about not liking the heat....

Old 07-31-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
^^^ no one but you anti gunners has mentioned rocket launchers...why do you need extremely tinted strawman arguments...can't you just make a case without being ridiculous?
That's funny cause just a couple points earlier you made an absurd claim that random things should be banned because they were around the shooter...so yeah, I will use the rocket launcher argument if you are going to use absurd posts.

Quote:

So yeah, lets ban people gathering, that sounds like a much more reasonable approach to this issue...smh.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:33 PM

Obviously you don't understand sarcasm....and how it was being applied to your ridiculous statements...

I can prove people not gathering will reduce casualties more effectively than you can prove smaller mags would!

SO answer my question...What IS a HIGH cap magazine?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Okay, so DEFINE High capacity then...

Now explain how banning them would have prevented this...

You're using that tired old "shootouts" argument again....tell me, since the increase of CCW's and gun ownership, where are all of these shootouts?

Over 200,000,000 guns in the US. If guns equal shootouts, shouldn't there be millions of shootouts everyday?

Oh, you don't like the deep end? Then why do you continually go there? Hmm...something, something about not liking the heat....
Oh, I am sorry, the shootout comment is based off of your absurd arguments and your ability to stick your head in the sand and act like there is no problem. I guess it is easy to ignore and pretend like there is nothing wrong that to actually deal with serious issues...and that is fine, many people like to pretend there is nothing wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City