Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:56 AM

95 posts, read 258,897 times

Advertisements

This is quite the thread...suicide is not the way out, I hope that anyone reading these posts as great 'suggestions' seeks medical help immediately.

On the other hand, I agree about the bridge jumpers...it should not affect bridge traffic...It may cost the city a lot of money to do this, but why not place a large net under the bridge? And catch these folks like flies to a spider web.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 09:50 PM

18,370 posts, read 31,462,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Lemme tell you all somthing & I don't care how many of you are insulted or feel that i'm heartless & cold. These Selfish bastids that jump off the VZ need to find a better way to off themselves that won't affect tens of thousands of commuters. Why are we suffuring because you have issues!?

When people do jump off the VZ there is no reason for the cops to shut down the entire span to conduct an investigation. It's just an OT money grab for these guys. The person has jumped, he isn't up there anymore he is down there in the water, call the coast guard get a chopper but just keep traffic moving at all cost's.

An investigation of a jumper on the span should consist of checking the car & towing it away. CLEAR the area, not set up a crime scene.

As someone who has experpainced first hand the loss of a friend due to Sucide I can tell you that once a person decided to end thier live there isn't any talking them out of it. At least this guy had the common courtsey not to jump off a bridge.

Also. to those of you who just have to jump off a bridge, use the Bayonne bridge. It's higher & isn't a high use span.

I agree, and why is it always during rush hour??

Can't they pick another bridge, or maybe a roof.....but you are right tens of thousands of people were inconvenienced because of this mans "problem", and your right, why did the whole bridge need to be shut down, traffice still could have flowed, but since people here are basically stupid, everyone driving by would have sloooooooowded down to see what was happening that traffic probably would not have moved any faster.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:41 AM

25,343 posts, read 36,870,490 times
And how about someone jumps in front of a train in Far Rockaway and they shut down the trains in the Bronx????

Old 08-02-2012, 11:13 AM

18,370 posts, read 31,462,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
And how about someone jumps in front of a train in Far Rockaway and they shut down the trains in the Bronx????

I know, that would **** me off.

we had a fire on 86th street a few years ago, tenement badly burnt, they shut subway service on 86th ..

why????

they felt the rumbling would shake the building and it would fall.

please, give me a break.
the building is rehabbed now and still standing.

they love to inconvenience us for anything.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:38 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,488,599 times
One day a couple of years back, I was up in The Bronx. Traffic at the intersection of White Plains and Gun Hill Roads was at a complete standstill...

It turned out that some guy had climbed up onto the elevated structure just at that intersection and was threatening to jump. It was actually pretty amusing to watch a couple of cops and a priest trying to climb out onto the metalwork in an attempt to reach him.

Many of the people in their cars, however, weren't nearly as amused. They were sitting there and yelling for him to jump. I found myself thinking that the whole scenario was kind of bizarre. I mean, he was only about a story or so above the street. Unless he jumped and landed on his head, he would probably have been injured but not necessarily killed.

(If he was really that distraught, he could've offed himself a lot faster by going into the station and touching the third rail. But I guess he wasn't thinking too clearly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City