Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 45,455 times

Advertisements

I was stopped by the police in Brooklyn and he asked for my DL ,
while giving him my MIchigan DL , he noticed my old NY license and requested it as well.
And then gave me 2 tickets : one for driving w/o handsfree device and second for "more than one license at one time" (In violation of 5095). I tried to google that violation and could not find anything.
Does anyone know how many points it's or how much fee , and is it possible to fight it at all?

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 10:13 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,536 times
Is your old NYS DL expired?

Old 07-24-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Is your old NYS DL expired?
no , the MI DL expires in 2014 (issued in 2009) and
NY in 2015 (issued in 2006)

Old 07-24-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi555 View Post
no , the MI DL expires in 2014 (issued in 2009) and
NY in 2015 (issued in 2006)
I don't know about the law of having two valid DL's. But why on earth would you show
an out of state DL, if you have a NYS DL?

I think your best bet is contacting a traffic lawyer....

Old 07-24-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I don't know about the law of having two valid DL's. But why on earth would you show
an out of state DL, if you have a NYS DL?

I think your best bet is contacting a traffic lawyer....
because i thought that NY DL is not valid anymore after I got a MI DL in 2009.

I had NY DL just laying around in my house and just a month ago put it in my wallet and forget about it.

And when was giving my license he noticed another one as well and requested it.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:33 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
You should only carry one driver's license, to your primary residence, with your current address. If you live in NYS, it should be an updated NYS driver's license. If you thought the license was invalid, it should have been destroyed, as it is still a valid government-issued ID, regardless as to whether or not another DMV collected it when you received the new license, unless you maintained your residence in NYS. If you no longer live in MI, your MI license should have been surrendered and a NYS license issued to your current address, regardless as to the expiration date.

You can talk to a lawyer to see if the fine can be mitigated or contested, but it doesn't seem as though you could fight this, unless you are a dual resident of NYS and MI, since both licenses require in-state residency to obtain a driver's license, and if you attempted to update either with an out-of-state current address, the license would be invalidated by the respective DMV.

You want to look at VTL regulations 509-5 and 509-10 regarding the dual licenses, not 5095. Get the proper license updated and issued to your current address.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-24-2012, 11:41 AM

353 posts, read 471,235 times
So Im guessing your car is registered in MI with MI Plates and this is the reason you gave him your MI license when you live in NY City?

Good way to save on insurance huh?

This guy most likely is a life long New Yorker and has a family member or friend who lives in MI and he uses their address for insurance purposes while the rest of us NY Residents pay the higher rates.

This is why you also see MA, PA, NC, etc... Plates all over NYC lately.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:45 AM

It looks like your gonna have to pay your "stupid tax".

In case you're not familiar with this implicit tax;
this is an avoidable kind of taxation that we all pay from time to time (albeit some pay more than others. : D)
Just make sure you don't over tax yourself in the future.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:25 PM

214 posts, read 673,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi555 View Post
because i thought that NY DL is not valid anymore after I got a MI DL in 2009.

I had NY DL just laying around in my house and just a month ago put it in my wallet and forget about it.

And when was giving my license he noticed another one as well and requested it.
Then you were not honest when you got your MI driver's license. Standard procedure when getting a license in MI involves them punching out the expiration date and stapling your new paper MI license to your old out of state license. You use that for ID until your new MI license arrives in the mail. MI would then notify NYS that a new license had been issued in your name which would have invalidated your old license with the DMV.

It is very shady, whether you intended it or not, to carry valid licenses from multiple jurisdictions, and to my knowledge is prohibited in all 50 states, so I'm not terribly surprised you were issued a ticket for it.

As others in this thread have stated, most people that do this do it because of sky high insurance where they live. I'm not sure why anyone would choose MI for this though. It's a no-fault state with high auto insurance and plate fees already.

It's like all the college grads who move to Chicago or NYC and keep their old license and their old plates to avoid the sky high rates or having to buy a city/neighborhood sticker. My aunt did this in South Florida for 20+ years. Then they inevitably ***** when the local authorities give them a ticket. People who scam like this raise the rates for everyone else who do play by the rules.

And heaven forbid you have to file some type of insurance claim and your carrier discovers your car is domiciled in NYC while being rated for BFE Michigan. That's fraud, and most insurers don't like it too much.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdogs View Post
So Im guessing your car is registered in MI with MI Plates and this is the reason you gave him your MI license when you live in NY City?

Good way to save on insurance huh?

This guy most likely is a life long New Yorker and has a family member or friend who lives in MI and he uses their address for insurance purposes while the rest of us NY Residents pay the higher rates.

This is why you also see MA, PA, NC, etc... Plates all over NYC lately.

lol , i do not have any cars for few years already , since traveling a lot and had a long project in MI , where i was using the rental car. so none of your guesses are correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City