Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:04 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,781,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
Whatever, the point is that at one time, NYC was just New York County aka Manhattan
Accuracy, facts, reality, not important?

Actually, New York County, at one time comprised *both* Manhattan and The Bronx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I thought it was always, The City Of New York & The City Of Brooklyn.

Didn't the term "New York City" only became used when all of the boroughs annexed?
You people are making me sad...

The Island is and was Manhattan" (the Indian name which was adopted).

The settlement was "New Amsterdam" and was a Dutch colony named in honor of the Dutch city of Amsterdam.

The British came with gunships and took over. The colony became a British possession and was renamed, consequently, "New York"! If I recall, in honor of the then Duke of York.

The history and development of the city to date is a fascinating subject and s/b more discussed in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 07:10 AM

43,313 posts, read 44,033,973 times
Going to the "city" meaning one is going to the center of activity of Manhattan just like one goes "downtown" in other cities.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:49 AM

88,092 posts, read 83,961,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
ive heard that people from jersey and even as far as philly refer to manhattan as the city also. im used to my philly people saying nyc in general since their mostly in brooklyn.
I am from Jersey. We definitely refer to Manhattan as the city. If you are going to Brooklyn or Queens or the Bronx or Staten Island, you say them by name. No one would say they were going to the city if they were going to Staten Island. Hell, no one would ADMIT they were going to Staten Island......just kidding.

As a matter of fact, in my own personal little wierd head, a city is a place with mostly multi-story buildings. When I visited Dallas years ago and stayed in Garland, a town just outside, I had a hard time with the fact that you couldn't really tell when you'd crossed over the Dallas border (which you had to do in order to buy beer because you couldn't buy beer in Garland) because it was just more little single-family homes with yards, just like Garland. It looked like a suburb.

Same with St. Louis. I've never been there, but someone at work from there was showing family pictures, and they lived on this quiet little street with houses and trees and yards, and that was in "the city" of St. Louis.

Also, I had a weird moment some years ago at a high school reunion. I was speaking with the husband of a friend of mine who had gone to live in Colorado after high school and stayed there and married a Colorado state trooper. I was telling him I worked in the city and he interrupted, looking puzzled, and said, "What city?"

Whaddya mean, what city? Did you think I was talking about Paterson? Newark? We are 25 miles from MANHATTAN, that's what city. I found it such an odd question, but as I said, he was from Colorado.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

Actually, New York County, at one time comprised *both* Manhattan and The Bronx!

The settlement was "New Amsterdam" and was a Dutch colony named in honor of the Dutch city of Amsterdam.

The British came with gunships and took over. The colony became a British possession and was renamed, consequently, "New York"! If I recall, in honor of the then Duke of York.

The history and development of the city to date is a fascinating subject and s/b more discussed in this forum.
To get started, I suggest everyone read this book, and then come back and we'll have a discussion.

The Island at the Center of the World

Old 07-29-2012, 12:44 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,781,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
To get started, I suggest everyone read this book, and then come back and we'll have a discussion.

The Island at the Center of the World
I've been thinking to start a "book" thread, but didn't seem there were many 'readers' in the forum. So many 'light' topics, and quip remarks and popular thinking appears to rule the forum.

If you are interested, I'll DM you next week. Maybe we can put together a quick list, and perhaps a theme re NYC.

I've been thinking of this for SOME time, as there is so much misinformation posted to the forum.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:58 PM

33,405 posts, read 46,851,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post
Only the recent transplants don't get it. Manhattan is the city, all other boros are mentioned by name. It's been this way forever.
/thread

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-29-2012, 03:05 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,653,917 times
I grew up in Goshen (Orange County) and everyone we knew always referred to all five boroughs as "the city".

Old 07-29-2012, 05:16 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,102,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl1616 View Post
Only the recent transplants don't get it. Manhattan is the city, all other boros are mentioned by name. It's been this way forever.
Bingo! It be that way.

If you're fightin' it, you're new or you don't belong.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:53 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,440,501 times
Quote:

Trust me, I don't need a history lesson about my city.

I'm fully aware that New Amsterdam was actually just the tip of Manhattan (some parts of Brooklyn are actually older than majority of Manhattan, I'm sure you're knowledgeable about this) and I'm finally aware why the name changed to New York.

What I posted wasn't really a question either, now that I think about it. Before 1898 Manhattan was referred to as "The City Of New York" (as well as Manhattan/New York, etc) only after the annexation, the term "New York City" became prominent and relevant.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I've been thinking to start a "book" thread, but didn't seem there were many 'readers' in the forum. So many 'light' topics, and quip remarks and popular thinking appears to rule the forum.

If you are interested, I'll DM you next week. Maybe we can put together a quick list, and perhaps a theme re NYC.

I've been thinking of this for SOME time, as there is so much misinformation posted to the forum.
That would be fun and interesting, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City