Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 03:55 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Don't want to sound like an a-hole, but if you can't make it in nowhere West Virginia, how are you going to make it in New York eff'ing City?
You are aware that thousands upon thousands of people from all of the country and world move here for better opportunities when they have little to nothing going for them in their podunk town/village. They've been doing this for well over 100 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 04:07 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Go for it kid, get a roommate situation apt off CL and work at that restaurant. Come experience life, don't listen to the haters that tell you to stay in your hometown.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 5,009 times
I have talked to several Integrative Nutrition graduates(I found them by stalking the Alumni Success page on INN's website.) and they said that it was the best decision to go there. I think the main complaint, from outsiders, is that they don't teach the science of Nutrition. A Health Coach just coaches a person to make healthy life choices and whatnot. It is, supposedly, a growing field. If anyone is curious about it, go to their website and read about it. I'm interested in your opinions!

Last edited by evchado32; 07-25-2012 at 09:46 PM..

Old 07-26-2012, 06:10 AM

455 posts, read 651,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evchado32 View Post
I am currently 17 years old from West Virginia, I have a job currently(I work at the local pizza place). I plan on taking the Integrative Nutrition course online to become a certified health coach. It is a year long program and I would plan on starting as soon as I turned 18. Their school swears you can "earn while you learn." .
You do know that there are thousands of health coaches in NYC with Bachelors, Masters, Ph Ds, etc. Why is someone going to reach out to a HS Graduate when there are more credible health coaches out there??

You should reconsider this career path since student loans are no joke. I graduated in 2006 and i am still paying 1 loan off. Also, if you're taking an online course why not stay in West Virginia?? There could be a BIG market in West Virginia for Health Coaches not so much in NYC.

About the alumini of Integrative Nutrition. You have to remember that some of those Alumnis might have degrees from Universities. For example, Casey Seidenberg 2009 Graduate of Integrative Nutrition. She also holds a BA with honors from Cornell University.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:53 AM

159 posts, read 204,636 times
I'm looking to move to NYC too, so my advice is based on general life experience - not necessarily years of experience with the city...

But, generally, you'd do well to take a low risk high reward bet - which I believe that job offer is. It's in the industry it sounds like you wish to get into, it's quasi-family (life is so much more about who you know than you're likely to imagine yet), and if it doesn't work out you'll still be 18/19 without debt and I'm sure can probably move back with family in WV and continue on with this original plan you have about the nutrition coaching without losing anything really. Now, be aware, people for some reason think it's 'polite' to make loaded offers to ambitious and hopeful younger people that upon pursuit they may never actually follow through on but instead beat around the bush for forever acting like they will so they don't have to admit to themselves that they weren't completely honest. BUT - if they're serious about it and you're serious about wanting to move there, do it - and do it quickly before there's enough time for that relationship your dad has to fall apart (not saying it WILL, just that it can and is even likely - statistically.) If you plan to make that jump though, get to know these people yourself - apart from your dad - and become your own form of family so that IF your dad ever stopped dating this woman you at least stand a chance of not being flushed from the ranks of her family at a time that could significantly set you back. And if you make the jump, THEN consider whether you want to do your online training or whatnot as well (which I'm not going to speculate on the benefits/dangers of. You seem plenty smart enough to have done sufficient research, or at least accept sufficient responsibility.) NYC is difficult to move to and very easy NOT to move to. I've wanted to move there since I was 21 (about 7 years now.) But I got too good of a job to leave. Then it got better. Then I got a great girlfriend. Then got married. Then we both decided we were moving there, but we'd travel the country on the way. And we've been doing that for about 1.5 years now - which is fantastic, but we were supposed to be in NYC well over a year ago and we're not. My point is that it's easy to make excuses, even really good and justified ones, not to go even if you really want to go - it ideally takes a *lot* of savings and planning. If you can do it with a job upon arrival you're miles ahead even if that's all you have and you haven't even conceived much of a plan.

Now, I don't remember you mentioning having actually visited the city though? Have you spent time there yourself? What makes you want to go so bad? I 'knew' I wanted to move there for a year before I actually got to visit. There's something about the idea of NYC that attracts people, and if you feel attracted - you'll almost definitely love the city more than you'd have guessed. But I'd still say you should visit first if possible - if nothing else because you'll actually enjoy the practical little necessities (like figuring out the subways, finding neat/cheap food places, getting to understand the culture and rhythm) much more on a vacation there than you're likely to during an extremely stressful make-it or break-it move ;)

Old 07-26-2012, 06:30 PM

252 posts, read 607,809 times
I say stay in west virgina..people from out of state always want to live the "city lifestyle" and get enticed by the big lights, fast pace, lots of people of NYC....it isnt as easy as it seems. this is a very expensive city to live in. i love nyc but because I was born and raised here, went from K to college in NYC school system (pubic) and I know nothing else but YC living. If i wasnt from here I would never come here...youre money doesnt go as far as in other places.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:31 PM

252 posts, read 607,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Go for it kid, get a roommate situation apt off CL and work at that restaurant. Come experience life, don't listen to the haters that tell you to stay in your hometown.

haters? we live in NYC so what are we hating on lol
It isnt as easy as some people think to make it in this city

Old 07-26-2012, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 5,009 times
He/She isn't saying you're hating on New York, they're saying that you're hating on the fact that an outsider wants to come and experience life there. You're acting mightier than me because you have lived there and you think you're one of those who are good enough to make it. However, asking on an online forum, I don't know what I was expecting, really.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:09 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evchado32 View Post
asking on an online forum, I don't know what I was expecting, really.
some of us were giving serious advice

by all means give it a go. NYC is fun

just lose the car and notion you'll likely to get a dorm room. better to go in with your eyes open, ya know?

and without knowing your boards (standardized test scores) or budget it's impossible to realistically suggest a school. sure we can *list* schools but can't make good suggestions, and google can list better than we can

Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Why not attend state university or college in WVA first before coming to NYC? Think of a major that's in demand in the NYC job market - accounting, english lit/creative writing, computer science...whatever makes sense. That way, you can get a salaried position with benefits instead of adding to the growing population of inadequately skilled workers.

Whoever told you that a career that requires anything less than a 4-year bachelor's degree is "growing" and presents "many opportunities" in NYC is delusional.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 07-27-2012 at 07:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: