Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:26 PM

58 posts, read 80,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
but how about Hudson Heights?
Do you mean Hamilton Heights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 09:43 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Ditmas Park, Brooklyn would fit most of the criteria as well. The street with the stores and restaurants is Cortelyou Rd.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:51 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley View Post
Do you mean Hamilton Heights?
No, Hudson Heights/Fort Tryon. The area around 181st on the A. West of Broadway it's actually pretty nice with families and a quieter younger crowd moving in. Not trendy, but has some amenities and is only a 15-20 minute ride to Midtown.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:55 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
No, Hudson Heights/Fort Tryon. The area around 181st on the A. West of Broadway it's actually pretty nice with families and a quieter younger crowd moving in. Not trendy, but has some amenities and is only a 15-20 minute ride to Midtown.
meh, sounds like every other place new englanders are moving to for peace & quiet in nyc

Old 07-26-2012, 10:56 AM

I'm surprised how little anyone is mentioning Prospect Heights/Crown Heights? Any reason for that?

Old 07-26-2012, 11:16 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
I'm surprised how little anyone is mentioning Prospect Heights/Crown Heights? Any reason for that?
I like that area, though the rent has definitely been on the rise there as it becomes more attractive.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:34 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
I've lived in Manhattan now for 8 years. I have a question for people who have lived here for years and feel like they know the ins and outs of the boroughs and the areas in between. Maybe you were born here, maybe you grew up here, maybe you've moved a lot...

I just want opinions to do research on. What are places you know of that are:
- not trendy, consider access to the popular places irrelevant
- safe (can come home late at night on the subway and be relatively worry free)
- good access via Subway to Manhattan
- preferably not near young crowds or in a trendy hang-out district
- lots of older apartments, apartment buildings, walk ups as opposed to just shiny new buildings/condos
- neighborhood feel with local businesses (restaurants, bars, cafes, bookstores, etc)
- NOT a suburban feel

If you think you know of an area in Manhattan like this that's actually affordable, I'd be willing to hear about it, but I doubt it.
Rent amount is irrelevant. Reason being, I don't want other people's criteria of what space, size, location is worth what financially, I just want to focus on getting ideas of neighborhoods in the boroughs that match this description.

Thanks if you can help!
The only criteria Prospect Heights and Crown Heights fit on your list is good access via subway to Manhattan and lots of older apartments. Some parts of the 2 neighborhoods are trendy (Franklin Avenue and Washington Avenue), the rest of the area is not trendy, and some parts of Prospect Heights/Crown Heights are not safe. As for the age demographic, it's a mixed crowd as in I don't think one age group really dominates the scene.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-26-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
some parts of Prospect Heights/Crown Heights are not safe.
Hmm... so it is true then, what I hear about how you don't want to get too close to Crown Heights. Someone told me the north-west end of Crown Heights was fine.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:59 PM

389 posts, read 664,179 times
What about Bay Ridge? I think it pretty much fits the bill.

Subway access to Manhattan might be its Achilles Heel.... But it DOES have subway access. And express bus. Now on the weekends again :-)

Last edited by sirk98; 07-26-2012 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: forgot about "good subway access" request

Old 07-26-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirk98 View Post
Subway access to Manhattan might be its Achilles Heel
It has the R, that's not bad!
Wow... reading up on Bay Ridge and exploring on Google Maps. I feel so ignorant for not having known about this area before! It's really quite nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City