Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:14 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I actually ment non union doorman jobs.
Another vote to add more unions I see.
Good!
Every worker should be in a union.

Keeps the hounds at bay that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 06:42 PM

801 posts, read 1,105,516 times
Honestly , I have nothing against unions , but I hate the fact that the law can't protect everyone that works. To have a decent job , good salary with benefits ,and to be protected , I have to be part of a union!! ? I believe ithat some laws are to corruption and for convinience. And not to be recognized as an authority.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:29 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotblue78 View Post
Honestly , I have nothing against unions , but I hate the fact that the law can't protect everyone that works. To have a decent job , good salary with benefits ,and to be protected , I have to be part of a union!! ? I believe ithat some laws are to corruption and for convinience. And not to be recognized as an authority.
It is what Republicans like to call a free market system, all rights for owners and no rights for workers.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is what Republicans like to call a free market system, all rights for owners and no rights for workers.
Thank you!!! You just pull out that thinking out of my chest!! IT was hard for me to say it without offending no one !!! This falls on answers to other posts!!!! I would like to break that down! But is going to be as big issue!!!!

Old 07-31-2012, 05:47 AM

455 posts, read 651,961 times
The 99%ers holding the doors for the 1%ers. (Classic)

Old 07-31-2012, 08:22 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
What never ceases to amaze me is that some working class folks have been so deeply brainwashed by the Fox and the republican propaganda machines, that a lot of them see unions as an evil thing.

It’s like those poor uneducated folks in the south who like small government and don’t want to see ‘socialized medicine’ in this country but when they’re asked about their health insurance, they say, keep the government away from my Medicare. LoL!

It takes a wakeup call (aka; losing your job) to realize how important a union can be.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:35 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,784 times
If you take a look at the bigger picture, unions have an adverse affect on the US economy and contradicts supply and demand economics on a world level. Manufacturing is was the key to boosting US economy during the Industrial Revolution but that is fading away and weakening the US status as a economic power house. I strongly believe it is because of unions that US cannot compete labor cost wise in the manufacturing arena.

Take a look at which country manufactures the most and guess what? US is borrowing money from them.

But on the other hand... if there were no unions, I wonder what that would mean for the middle class.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:39 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
If you take a look at the bigger picture, unions have an adverse affect on the US economy and contradicts supply and demand economics on a world level. Manufacturing is was the key to boosting US economy during the Industrial Revolution but that is fading away and weakening the US status as a economic power house. I strongly believe it is because of unions that US cannot compete labor cost wise in the manufacturing arena.

Take a look at which country manufactures the most and guess what? US is borrowing money from them.

But on the other hand... if there were no unions, I wonder what that would mean for the middle class.
Their workers also earn pennies for their labor too. Do you want to go back to an era where you make close to nothing for a long day slaving away in a factory? Also, it doesn't help when we don't properly tax products being imported into our country, if we were it would make it more costly for businesses to manufacture in other countries.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
^ perfect example of what I referring to. The fox news crowd.
The Milton Friedman evangelists.

The countries that are doing most of the manufacturing (China, Mexico, etc) have basically slave wages. I doubt most reasonable people here would like to go down that way.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
What never ceases to amaze me is that some working class folks have been so deeply brainwashed by the Fox and the republican propaganda machines, that a lot of them see unions as an evil thing.

It’s like those poor uneducated folks in the south who like small government and don’t want to see ‘socialized medicine’ in this country but when they’re asked about their health insurance, they say, keep the government away from my Medicare. LoL!

It takes a wakeup call (aka; losing your job) to realize how important a union can be.
I see the importance of a union , but come on!!!!! This is the reason why many people are in welfare and unemployed !!! How many people lost their job unfairly??! And can't get a backup from the law!! Witch like I said it favors most of the time to the owners and employers!! Everyone should be equal!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City