Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:39 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,885,482 times

Advertisements

Reactions of the OP when arriving to NYC from a small town in the middle of nowhere.

- Upon seeing (other than on TV) the first couple of non-whites ;

- Upon realizing that there are (new) immigrants here too;

-Upon realizing that he's competing with dark-skinned people for the same jobs;

-Upon realizing that none of this is gonna be like back home and has to adapt with the reality of NYC:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:41 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,495,482 times
Yea, its Scranton Island
Jeeze.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:53 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,310,750 times
So here is the thing, in many other places in the country people of color *are* minorities so it's something we deal with all the time: I'm the only black person at/in _____ (fill in the blank with almost anything). Except the difference is that we can face real challenges around racism and the like for being minorities in those environments. In the case of the OP, what "challenges" would you have to face being in NYC? You're still white, it's just that you are now in an environment that has more ethnic and racial diversity. Unless of course you are saying that the challenge is having to interact with people from different backgrounds...

Old 07-27-2012, 10:55 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,346,956 times
usually whites get all the good jobs
and make much more money than
"minorities", so why keep complaining
about others having jobs too? what is
really the point?

blacks and browns shouldn't have jobs now?

wth..

Old 07-27-2012, 10:58 AM

91 posts, read 151,770 times
OP's getting beat up in here. He did word this thread poorly but I think I understand the sentiment.

Just as any black/Asian/Latino would need to adjust if moving from a place in which they're the majority to a predominantly white town, the same adjustment is necessary for OP.

To answer OP's question, I don't think it will be much of a challenge. It's a good thing to experience all different kinds of cultures. Soak it all in!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:58 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,969,788 times
growing up in bay ridge we would often put on blackface and perform excursions into coney island and bed stuy

it was good practice for the real world out there with all the scary minorities

to this day i still get casting calls when they're putting on a performance of roots

Old 07-27-2012, 11:27 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,878,199 times
There isn't such a challenge here as many make it to be. I have the sense that things are far worse in Boston, for example. The challenge becomes bigger if you take it as focus.

Nowadays, with the people worth knowing, that is, it really does boil down to what sort of person you are.

If people are racist, avoid them. In our current cultural climate, people are not very smart and so such things should not come as a surprise to anyone.

If people discriminate against you for jobs, sue them. If you can. I have experienced, actually both of us have experienced, a great deal of discrimination that is subtle enough to escape proof. There is nothing anyone can do about that - walk away and carry on.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:31 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,149,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCastaway View Post
OP's getting beat up in here. He did word this thread poorly but I think I understand the sentiment.

Just as any black/Asian/Latino would need to adjust if moving from a place in which they're the majority to a predominantly white town, the same adjustment is necessary for OP.

To answer OP's question, I don't think it will be much of a challenge. It's a good thing to experience all different kinds of cultures. Soak it all in!
Yeah, I agree with you. Anytime anyone brings the concept of race into these threads, it's off to the races. I think your answer is the most reasonable.

OP, I think that anytime you live in a culture that is totally different from yours you are going to feel a disconnect, and you over time adjust. If you moved to the Caucasus (where they are all Caucasians, right?), they might physically look like you -- but they are not like you in any other way. If you moved to Iran, where the people are ethnically Aryans, you would feel very foreign, most likely. You resemble more in culture people of all ethnicities in NY than you do Russians or Iranians in their own countries.

Advice: stop feeling weird, and in a little while you will hardly even notice anyone's ethnic background. It's really all good in New York.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:31 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,878,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It depends on where you live in NYC, visiting friends in Manhattan it is predominately white but you don't notice it until I visit friends out in Brooklyn and I enter areas that are less than 50% white, it is definitely a bit of a culture shock, but race has never been an issue with me. I am often times more annoyed by the fact that we as people make such an issue out of skin color when that has no merit on a person.
But why would it be a culture shock ?
This would have nothing to do with race and everything to do with social class allegiances.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:36 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,710,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
Manhattan and Stanton Island are the two "whitest" places in New York City but outside of the tourist areas, most people on the subway and actually walking around Manhattan are people of color or immigrants. Stanton Island is less and less white all the time.

My QUESTION still stands: If you grew up in an old fashioned white dominated town where English is spoken as the first language of nearly everyone isn't the extreme ethnic diversity of New York a challenge sometimes?

* If I were from a foreign country and I moved into Erie PA, my home town, it would be a shock adjusting too.
Whites are immigrants, too, honey...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City