Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:47 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Whites are immigrants, too, honey...
And NYC has plenty of white immigrants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 12:08 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Jeez, Louise, people need to get out more. Go away to school or do some road trips and stay at youth hostels. Go to Hawaii where whites are the minority in the whole state. I can't believe in this day and age people can still be so provncial.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:10 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
But why would it be a culture shock ?
This would have nothing to do with race and everything to do with social class allegiances.
True, but people tend to associate the two as the same.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:10 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
As I stated before being white in NYC does not feel like being in the minority. (I am talking about feelings not about statistics!)

I think the OP has to adjust to NYC (which is obviously a new place to him/her) just like anyone else moving from a different place.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:17 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
True, but people tend to associate the two as the same.
[sigh ...] Yes, I know, it was a kind of rhetorical comment. This is the basis of actually racist thinking.
Of the harmful sort. And it happens on different sides.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
[sigh ...] Yes, I know, it was a kind of rhetorical comment. This is the basis of actually racist thinking.
Of the harmful sort. And it happens on different sides.
Oh I totally agree, I personally get annoyed when people associate the two together without knowing anything about the actual area and the class break down.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:36 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
This poor rube didn't realize he'd get beaten up on the city-data boards rather than the street.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:12 PM

101 posts, read 353,521 times
This board is full of threads started by someone who is a foreign born person or an American born person of color asking for advice on where they should live where there are a large number of people of their specific race, color or culture. People respond without question assuming it is OK for them to want to live in a neighborhood that is full of people just like them. But if a white person who grew up in an old fashioned town similar to America in the 1950s, Erie PA, mentions he is somewhat affected by living in a community where a large number of people speak a different language at home and and are more likely themselves to be more comfortable with others who look like them, he is attacked.

I never said New York City is bad because American Born Whites are a minority, just that it is a culture shock for people who grew up in a town like Erie.

If you grew up in a town like I did and moved to NYC, did the nature of the huge immigrant population and large number of languages spoken on the street impact you?

Old 07-27-2012, 01:31 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
This board is full of threads started by someone who is a foreign born person or an American born person of color asking for advice on where they should live where there are a large number of people of their specific race, color or culture. People respond without question assuming it is OK for them to want to live in a neighborhood that is full of people just like them. But if a white person who grew up in an old fashioned town similar to America in the 1950s, Erie PA, mentions he is somewhat affected by living in a community where a large number of people speak a different language at home and and are more likely themselves to be more comfortable with others who look like them, he is attacked.

I never said New York City is bad because American Born Whites are a minority, just that it is a culture shock for people who grew up in a town like Erie.

If you grew up in a town like I did and moved to NYC, did the nature of the huge immigrant population and large number of languages spoken on the street impact you?
Well I am very sorry that you have the unfortunate pleasure of being from backwardstown, USA. I feel even worse that you have to be from erie.

If I were you I'd be more worried about how much sunscreen I would have to apply living here because, unlike Erie, the sun actually shines. I mean, I am not sure how your eyes will take it. You might want to ask your doctor Although, he might not know since he's never seen the sun either. But hey, at least he's an all American white guy!

Old 07-27-2012, 01:55 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Well I am very sorry that you have the unfortunate pleasure of being from backwardstown, USA. I feel even worse that you have to be from erie.

If I were you I'd be more worried about how much sunscreen I would have to apply living here because, unlike Erie, the sun actually shines. I mean, I am not sure how your eyes will take it. You might want to ask your doctor Although, he might not know since he's never seen the sun either. But hey, at least he's an all American white guy!
This is downright rude, frankly.

Why are "new" New York people so defensive ? I have seen this so often. There is no reason to attack other people, none at all. And the superiority thing is truly unattractive.

In fact, s/he raises an interesting question. I have traveled in the US and observed that few people have any experience with anyone of another race or culture. I am not even necessarily saying "racist," just no experience at all. People literally do not know how to act or what to expect, and the stereotypes from the media often do not match up with what they see. This is the case since childhood for many people. Living in the NYC metro area is a very different experience, and one for which us natives should be thankful - the relative diversity. It is precisely as a person who has traveled around a bit that I can appreciate this background.

Assuming that all across the country have this experience would be a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City