Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 02:28 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,613,553 times

Advertisements

I'm so, so, so, so, so annoyed with these types of threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 02:55 PM

101 posts, read 352,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I'm so, so, so, so, so annoyed with these types of threads.
Too bad you feel that way! The whole topic of race, culture and ethnic background and ones comfort in this environment is a perfect New York question!

I talk to many New Yorkers who come from more traditional cities who love the economic and intellectual opportunities the city offers but are just so tired of the exotic nature of the city. Being in an environment where most people you live around, work with and see walking up the street with are so different than you can be a challenge. I think it is human nature to want to be around the familiar, the comfortable and the traditional. That is why ethnic neighborhoods started in NYC.

While I can respect and enjoy the company of the people who come from a different ethnic group, in the end I enjoy the regular familiar folks I grew up with. They give me comfort.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:19 PM

206 posts, read 568,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
Too bad you feel that way! The whole topic of race, culture and ethnic background and ones comfort in this environment is a perfect New York question!

I talk to many New Yorkers who come from more traditional cities who love the economic and intellectual opportunities the city offers but are just so tired of the exotic nature of the city. Being in an environment where most people you live around, work with and see walking up the street with are so different than you can be a challenge. I think it is human nature to want to be around the familiar, the comfortable and the traditional. That is why ethnic neighborhoods started in NYC.

While I can respect and enjoy the company of the people who come from a different ethnic group, in the end I enjoy the regular familiar folks I grew up with. They give me comfort.
Best post yet!

I am a racist and a native New Yorker. I have spent my life traveling and have been the only, just me, white person on many occasions. It didn't bother me in the least since I've seen the reverse many times and it just never seemed important.

But make no mistake, I gravitate towards my own kind and avoid all others as much as possible.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:17 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,606,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post

Ugh - I would hope that living in a more diverse environment would help you to broaden your mind rather than narrow it, and that any discomfort you felt would be temporary - but maybe that's not the case. It would be nice if being around people who are different from you would help you to understand that we are all human beings who have a lot in common despite our obvious differences. By the way, prejudice is a factor in the formation and continuation of many ethnic neighborhoods.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:28 PM

91,956 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Nonhispanic Whites make up 33% of the population. Hispanics make up 28%. It's definitely not a "large margin". Even if you count Hispanic Whites (who are usually actually of mixed background like myself), it's not like it's a huge margin. (44% vs. 25% for Blacks)

It's Staten Island.

And Erie is definitely not 90% White. Maybe your neighborhood was, but the city overall is less than 70% White.

In any case, there are still some 80+% White neighborhoods here in NYC, and a few 90+% ones.
Exactly: US2010

Its Black percentage is well above the national percentage and there are enough Hispanics in Erie to notice a presence. You'll even see Asian people no and then. Imagine that.......

Old 07-28-2012, 05:30 PM

91,956 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggjfg View Post
Best post yet!

I am a racist and a native New Yorker. I have spent my life traveling and have been the only, just me, white person on many occasions. It didn't bother me in the least since I've seen the reverse many times and it just never seemed important.

But make no mistake, I gravitate towards my own kind and avoid all others as much as possible.
At least you are refreshingly honest about it and tell a friend to tell a friend, if you know what I mean. That way people can move on accordingly.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:57 PM

222 posts, read 710,498 times
I can understand how you feel. But for a native New Yorker like myself, it is not odd to be surrounded by people of every color and nationality. Sometimes I think it is remarkable how New York is home to people who speak more than 190 different languages, yet we are somehow living together peacefully, going about our day, working and taking care of my families.

About three years ago, I bought a house in Sullivan County, about 100 miles from the city. The place where I live has a demographic of 95% white. I was so surprised that places like this still existed. It is very different. I don't often here languages other than English, except when I go 10 miles to Liberty, New York where I shop for groceries. The area where I live has a very low population density and is very safe. People even leave their doors open. That amazed me.l.

There are other differences, too. The white people in Sullivan County tend to be much heavier than the white people I see in my neighborhood in Manhattan, the West Village. Also, I often see white people in Sullivan Couunty with very bad teeth which is something I have rarely seen in Manhhattan.

Galee

Old 07-28-2012, 11:15 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,926,586 times
Seriously they should make ohio a seperate race here in NYC.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:35 AM

101 posts, read 352,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s819 View Post
New York City is the U.S.'s biggest city and one of the most diverse cities in the world.

You sound as if you haven't visited any major city in this country. Most major American cities are diverse.

A lot of white people live in NYC too.
No, before I was jobless and broke I was a business manager making good money and traveled often to cities all over the United States for my company. I am also a leisure traveler and at last count I had seen 36 countries. I have seen lots of economic, cultural and ethnic diversity but perfer to live in a place where it is not as "in your face" as New York City.

Erie Pa, my home town, has some ethnic diversity but at a good level, not overwelming.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:57 AM

110 posts, read 298,818 times
This is a weird thread.

I celebrate the huge diversity of this city. Meeting people from all over the world is great. I don't think it's "in your face" at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City