Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 11:03 PM

39 posts, read 150,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
Back home in Erie PA, which is 90% white with very few immigrants, I always wondered what it was like to be someone of color or ESL. Basically on the side of the town that I lived in nearly everyone was white. But when I visit friends in Queens New York I am shocked how out of sorts I feel walking down the street in a city where pretty much everyone is from somewhere else.

No, this is not a racist troll post complaining about dark skinned people. Instead, I am curious what other people who are white and came from communities whose population is mostly white and fifth generation American, feel living in New York City where they are the minority. How does it make you feel?

Honest answers now, and please... no political correctness, or racist posts either.

Before I moved to NYC for my job, I lived in a small town. According to the census, my town's population was 268. Of those 268, 267 were white and one person was biracial half white half Asian.

So I happily moved to Sunset Park in Brooklyn but at first it was quite the culture shock. I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb. I couldn't go outside without feeling self conscious, like I was invading a neighborhood that I didn't belong to. When I went to open an account at a nearby bank, the teller pointed out that I'm white and asked why I moved here. I would go to the doctor, they would begin speaking to me in Spanish. I answered in pathetic broken Spanish that I learned from my husband's family (they're Puerto Rican).

It did take a while for me to get used to the new culture of my neighborhood. I'm not trying to come off as racist. To me, it felt like the hispanics of Sunset Park put a lot of hard work into creating this neighborhood and I was just some caucasian that didn't belong. But now I love it. The food is so much better here, the culture is amazing. There are so many different holidays celebrated by the various cultures of my neighborhood and I love learning about them. My street has huge blocks parties almost every weekend in the summer. It's fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 05:10 AM

101 posts, read 352,164 times
The original poster reporting in after reading with interest the many responses so far.

I am afraid that many of you misunderstand my posts and the ideas I am trying to present. So here are some clarifying points:

I am a typical American with mostly a German and Norwegian background five or six generations back. I just see myself as white.

I have nothing against dark people, immigrants, Hispanics, Asians, blacks, or anyone else. I understand that maybe more than anyplace else that New York City is based on the immigrant experience. I have seen Ellis Island and the immigrant museums and have studied the history of immigration in New York.

But in this study of immigration, I also learned that historically many immigrant groups have balkanized into their own community in NYC because of human nature. They felt more comfortable being with people from their own country and who shared common religion, shared ideas, cultural norms and appearance. The new immigrants of New York City today do the same.

With this in mind, why can't I be honest and say that I feel more comfortable with other White People who were born in America and speak English as their first language and share many of similar cultural traits of multi generational Americans? And are overwelmed by NYC. If someone comes to New York from Bolivia, a country that does not have a lot of cultural and ethnic diversity (JUST LIKE MY HOMETOWN OF ERIE PA), wouldn't they feel overwhelmed with living in New York City where hundreds of languages are spoken in the street, and search out other Bolivians to be with? And miss the familar people like back home?

Old 07-30-2012, 06:03 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,801,057 times
Quote:
The original poster reporting in after reading with interest the many responses so far.

I am afraid that many of you misunderstand my posts and the ideas I am trying to present. So here are some clarifying points:

I am a typical American with mostly a German and Norwegian background five or six generations back. I just see myself as white.

I have nothing against dark people, immigrants, Hispanics, Asians, blacks, or anyone else. I understand that maybe more than anyplace else that New York City is based on the immigrant experience. I have seen Ellis Island and the immigrant museums and have studied the history of immigration in New York.

But in this study of immigration, I also learned that historically many immigrant groups have balkanized into their own community in NYC because of human nature. They felt more comfortable being with people from their own country and who shared common religion, shared ideas, cultural norms and appearance. The new immigrants of New York City today do the same.

With this in mind, why can't I be honest and say that I feel more comfortable with other White People who were born in America and speak English as their first language and share many of similar cultural traits of multi generational Americans? And are overwelmed by NYC. If someone comes to New York from Bolivia, a country that does not have a lot of cultural and ethnic diversity (JUST LIKE MY HOMETOWN OF ERIE PA), wouldn't they feel overwhelmed with living in New York City where hundreds of languages are spoken in the street, and search out other Bolivians to be with? And miss the familar people like back home?
Seriously just stay where you are. Seriously. We don't need you here.

Also what's with all the "overwhelmed by different languages boo hoo". Do you really need to listen in on everyones conversations? What's the big deal if they aren't talking to you? You say that you have been to 36 countries. Did they all speak english? Or did you request everyone around you speak english so your poor little ears didn't get scared of the big bad languages?

Seriously don't come here.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:25 AM

537 posts, read 453,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
More like the entire midwest.

OP: What is your "heritage". I know you are an American Flag wielding good old white boy eating apple pie. BUT unless you are a WASP, you weren't considered white until the very recent history.

Italians/Irish/Polish/Jewish all not white until very recently. So ask yourself are you REALLY white?

This whole thread makes me want to vomit and is the exact reason I left Ohio. Too many people like the OP. OP, would you let a black doctor operate on you? Or would a black person never become a doctor where you are from because that isn't "his place"

For a while I've been curious about the term WASP. Ever since I've become interested in the Bible and Christianity, I came to learn a bit about Protestantism (its history and theology).

So I know to some degree where evangelical Protestantism stands in relation to, lets say, Catholocism. But what I don't get is how it lines up as a racial or ethnic identifier. Are white Catholics somehow different in this regard? It's just that I've preferred to refer to this type of distinction purely in doctrinal or theological terms. (But based on your above reference to Italians, Irish, Polish and Jewish...is a "white" person's nationality at issue...i.e., that certain ethnic origins would not have been Catholic, thus making them WASPs?).

Thanks a lot.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:44 AM

555 posts, read 1,179,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggjfg View Post
Best post yet!

I am a racist and a native New Yorker. I have spent my life traveling and have been the only, just me, white person on many occasions. It didn't bother me in the least since I've seen the reverse many times and it just never seemed important.

But make no mistake, I gravitate towards my own kind and avoid all others as much as possible.
Heil Hitler

The people at stormfront.org approve of this message

GO MITT!!!!!

MODS ITS A JOKE....I am in know way a hitler supporter or euro ameri white and I like to go to stormfront to argue their silly views

Last edited by Nyc77; 07-30-2012 at 09:59 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 09:09 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,885,803 times
Quote:

Bolivia is more diverse than your hometown of Erie, PA.
Ethnic groups
55% Amerindian
(Quechua, Aymara
and 34 other ethnic groups)
30% Mestizo
15% White

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolivia

OP, are you currently living in 'da hood'?
I assume, somebody who is jobless and broke won't be able to afford many NYC neighborhoods, so that narrows your neighborhood choices to mostly immigrant or minority based ones. Is that the case, OP?
I've met several people who claim to have become racists once they moved to NYC and lived in da hood. They always say that they weren't racists back home, but that living in a NYC hood turned them that way. Is the same for you?

Also, how is your interaction with the ladies in NYC? Do you like only mayflower types of women?
Most of my friends, who have moved to NYC from elsewhere, including myself, appreciate the large supply of beauties from all over the world.
Actually, IMO, that's one of the main drags for a single male wanting to move to this city.
When I first moved here, 15 yrs ago, my first date was with a Russian girl who spoke very little English, but was so beautiful that no words were needed for me to have a good chemistry with her. Fast forward to this day, I can say that I'm lucky enough to have met exotic beauties from all 7 continents and at least 15 different countries. Don't you like to have the opportunity to be able to do the same?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:14 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,928,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Bolivia is more diverse than your hometown of Erie, PA.
Ethnic groups
55% Amerindian
(Quechua, Aymara
and 34 other ethnic groups)
30% Mestizo
15% White

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolivia

OP, are you currently living in 'da hood'?
I assume, somebody who is jobless and broke won't be able to afford many NYC neighborhoods, so that narrows your neighborhood choices to mostly immigrant or minority based ones. Is that the case, OP?
I've met several people who claim to have become racists once they moved to NYC and lived in da hood. They always say that they weren't racists back home, but that living in a NYC hood turned them that way. Is the same for you?

Also, how is your interaction with the ladies in NYC? Do you like only mayflower types of women?
Most of my friends, who have moved to NYC from elsewhere, including myself, appreciate the large supply of beauties from all over the world.
Actually, IMO, that's one of the main drags for a single male wanting to move to this city.
When I first moved here, 15 yrs ago, my first date was with a Russian girl who spoke very little English, but was so beautiful that no words were needed for me to have a good chemistry with her. Fast forward to this day, I can say that I'm lucky enough to have met exotic beauties from all 7 continents and at least 15 different countries. Don't you like to have the opportunity to be able to do the same?
Wait you met a girl from Antarctica? At least you been with an Aussie chicks that's rare in the city.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:31 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,885,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Wait you met a girl from Antarctica? At least you been with an Aussie chicks that's rare in the city.
Antartica no yet...
Still looking ; )
but there should be at least one transplant scientist around NYC.

And not aussie, but Kiwi, which I think are rarer.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:52 AM

91 posts, read 151,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Haha beat me to it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City