Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 07:13 AM

420 posts, read 823,554 times

Advertisements

NYC is diverse. Lots of non-Hispanic whites around, but maybe you're just focusing on people who are generally considered minorities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 08:07 AM

106 posts, read 183,727 times
Hey I am a Native New Yorker for 37 years of my entire life, is it possible that the census of 2010 missed non-hispanic whites? You always here how people of color are missed but I think lots of whites are also missed. Oh yes I do love this great city of people of every color and ethnic background make New York what it is!

Old 07-29-2012, 08:08 AM

101 posts, read 353,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
NYC is diverse. Lots of non-Hispanic whites around, but maybe you're just focusing on people who are generally considered minorities?
WRONG: Only 33% of the residents of New York City are considered non Hispanic White and about half of them are immigrants from Eastern Europe or Russia. There are very few white people in a traditional Erie type in New York. (5th Generation Americans who link their ancestry to Western Europe) And in Queens the number of white people is even less.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:18 AM

420 posts, read 823,554 times
33% is still about 3 million people. I never said that non-Hispanic whites were the majority; I only said there were "lots," which 3+ million in a city is certainly "lots."

Just because the whites here aren't "5th generation Americans" does not make them any less white. You are just having culture shock.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:54 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
No, before I was jobless and broke I was a business manager making good money and traveled often to cities all over the United States for my company. I am also a leisure traveler and at last count I had seen 36 countries. I have seen lots of economic, cultural and ethnic diversity but perfer to live in a place where it is not as "in your face" as New York City.

Erie Pa, my home town, has some ethnic diversity but at a good level, not overwelming.
Translation; NYC has too many darkies.
Back home we have darkies too, but at a good level (ie; can count them with one hand) not like here where there are so many!

Hey OP; how about going back home so you don't have to put up with all these darkies and 'fake whites' (ie; eastern Europeans) ?
Why did you leave your all white paradise to begin with?

Old 07-29-2012, 09:43 AM

363 posts, read 817,712 times
Quote:
Erie Pa, my home town, has some ethnic diversity but at a good level, not overwelming.
So in other words, as long as they knew their place in Erie, PA, and knew where the segregation line was drawn, it was tolerated.

For example, the young black guy who had his "shinebox" who would gloss up your shoes before you took those trips out of the country. I bet his name was George wasn't it? As long as he knew his place and not invite his friends over to his house, there was no need to call the police.

I think the problem your seeing is assimilation. However, it is not the people of color that is having this problem, it is simply YOU. You know, coming from "eerie" Erie, PA and having to see all these people of color most have sent you into a shock.

Your statements remind me of a person who has never set foot out of their town, let alone the state of Pennsylvania to say you've traveled abroad.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:32 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Translation; NYC has too many darkies.
Back home we have darkies too, but at a good level (ie; can count them with one hand) not like here where there are so many!

Hey OP; how about going back home so you don't have to put up with all these darkies and 'fake whites' (ie; eastern Europeans) ?
Why did you leave your all white paradise to begin with?
This is what makes the OPs statements so comical. He/she comes to a huge city that is known for it's diversity and being a melting pot (well, it's probably more like a salad, but you get the point; there are a lot of people here that are not middle town American) and then is shocked because there are so few "middle town" Americans LOL! To state the obvious, OP, why on earth would you move to NYC if diversity makes you uncomfortable? Or did you not know you were xenophobic until you moved out of Whitesville?

Old 07-29-2012, 10:40 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
WRONG: Only 33% of the residents of New York City are considered non Hispanic White and about half of them are immigrants from Eastern Europe or Russia. There are very few white people in a traditional Erie type in New York. (5th Generation Americans who link their ancestry to Western Europe) And in Queens the number of white people is even less.

Wait. Why are you singling out Queens? It's 28% White, which is only marginally less than the city overall.

In any case, this "only" 33% makes Nonhispanic Whites the largest group in the city. I think having
1/3 of your city's population as White could still qualify as "a lot".

Quote:
No, before I was jobless and broke I was a business manager making good money and traveled often to cities all over the United States for my company. I am also a leisure traveler and at last count I had seen 36 countries. I have seen lots of economic, cultural and ethnic diversity but perfer to live in a place where it is not as "in your face" as New York City.

How exactly is it "in your face"? Are all of us "darkies" and "fake Whites" supposed to change our skin color and cultural traditions just because you happened to move here?

Old 07-29-2012, 11:01 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
How could you make a statement like this with claiming to have traveled to over 30 countries?

And care to elaborate on what level of ethnic diversity is considered "overwhelming?" Having to sit next to us on the train? You're full of it. Go back home!

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-29-2012, 11:20 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Seriously they should make ohio a seperate race here in NYC.
More like the entire midwest.

OP: What is your "heritage". I know you are an American Flag wielding good old white boy eating apple pie. BUT unless you are a WASP, you weren't considered white until the very recent history.

Italians/Irish/Polish/Jewish all not white until very recently. So ask yourself are you REALLY white?

This whole thread makes me want to vomit and is the exact reason I left Ohio. Too many people like the OP. OP, would you let a black doctor operate on you? Or would a black person never become a doctor where you are from because that isn't "his place"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City