Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:52 AM

483 posts, read 854,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I have no issue with the CEO expressing his personal opinion, BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT IS HAPPENING. He has expressed the opinion of CHIK-FIL-A and has used millions of dollars from CHIK-FIL-A to take a political stand against marriage equality. And therein lies the problem.

You cannot have your company take a political side and millions thrown in support, and then say "it is just my opinion." He may personally believe dogs should have equal rights, and that's wonderful, but when you speak on behalf of the company ANY the company is throwing millions to have dogs equal rights is where it becomes a chik-fil-a problem, and not "just my opinion."
Dan Cathy, the CEO, is S. Truett Cathy's (the founder of CFA) son. He's not some CEO that was brought in as a stranger, this is his family's business. So his opinion = the opinion of CFA since they founded it and continue to run the business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 08:07 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,235 times
Quote:
I have no issue with the CEO expressing his personal opinion, BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT IS HAPPENING. He has expressed the opinion of CHIK-FIL-A and has used millions of dollars from CHIK-FIL-A to take a political stand against marriage equality. And therein lies the problem.
Sorry Sobro, that is perfectly legal. Individuals and private companies alike are allowed to have opinions and donate to whatever cause they see fit whether it's for charity, political, medical, lobbying, etc. Just like you can take a political stand by donating to a candidate, so can a company and it's CEO. Just like you may have an opinion on something, so can a company and a CEO. There is nothing illegal about any of this.

Quote:
You cannot have your company take a political side and millions thrown in support, and then say "it is just my opinion." He may personally believe dogs should have equal rights, and that's wonderful, but when you speak on behalf of the company ANY the company is throwing millions to have dogs equal rights is where it becomes a chik-fil-a problem, and not "just my opinion."
They have the rights to put their money behind their opinion. I can see how it would make some feel uncomfortable when their beliefs don't match those of Chik-fil-a, but there is nothing illegal or wrong going on here. CFA doesn't discriminate in their hiring practices, so without them actually doing something illegal- which isn't the case- this is all moot because it's about freedom of speech and expression.

Quote:
However, at the end of the day we should all respect the company's right to do what they want with their money, and the flip side is we have the right not to support their business because of it. There isn't anything else to say about it.
At the end of the day it's about their rights, not about their money. We should support their rights, because those same rights apply to us.

Quote:
PS-When you are throwing your money to undermine the rights of others, that's exactly what subjugation is. Which is no different than chik-fil-a hypothetically throwing their money behind organizations who want to deny women the right to vote, deny people of color access to education, deny the poor access to health care, etc....all of which serve the same purpose: to subjugate a segment of the population. This is no different.
There is an enormous difference between supporting political action to change legislation (what CFA might be doing with their donations) which is perfectly legal, and breaking the law by actively subjugating someone or some group. CFA is not doing the latter or subjugating anyone. Again, you may not like where they donate their money to, because you have different beliefs from CFA (I do as well), but there's nothing wrong or illegal going on.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:15 AM

455 posts, read 651,867 times
Folks, you're not in the board of directors, you're not the CEO, you have no power in this fried chicken company; hence, you can't do shyt but take your business and stomach elsewhere.

You don't like the values of this company and its member then don't associate with them, don't support them, etc.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Alkonost I am in 100% agreement with you! They have the right to use their money anyway they want and I respect that right..we all do. In turn, you should respect our right to voice our disagreement, protest, and take our business elsewhere..which is exactly what is happening. So what's the problem?

At the end of the day however, their donations to deny equal rights to homosexuals IS exactly what subjugating a population is, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. It is not illegal, as they are simply funneling money to organizations, however it is just like funneling money to organizations who are fighting to deny women the right to vote.....nothing illegal about it but serves the purpose of denying equal rights to a population (women) = subjugation. Being "wrong" is subject to interpretation....women never had the right to vote, and our society evolved and we acknowledged their right to vote as equal members of society...all the while plenty of organizations were fighting to deny them that right. This is no different.

So this all boils down to one simple idea: Do you want to support a company that supports denying rights to others, and subjugating a population? If you do, eat all the Chik-fil-a you can! If you don't, boycott chik-fil-a. And that's it, life goes on for everyone.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:10 AM

11 posts, read 20,802 times
first of all, this is America, anyone has the right to believe/support what they want to!!!

second of all. chick fil a is absolutely delicious!!! born and raised in nyc, but I always make it a point to go whenever I see one. and yes, I do happen to be gay; chick fil a's actions don't bother me in the least....I'd much prefer to get a sandwich at chick fil a then relive my childhood growing up gay/living in Bensonhurst/soutern Brooklyn lol, after that I could care less about a company's policies which, in the end, will not stop the march towards marriage equality

in fact, I'm so sure whoever opens a chick fil a in New York City will be instantly rich! (very interesting how they franchise though) If one opened in Brooklyn or Queens, I'm sure that'd be great money too. The Outback Steakhouse near my home in Brooklyn is packed 24/7, its like no one realizes all the other great ethnic foods that are minutes from their door in Brooklyn; the one KFC for miles is also always mobbed...so one could imagine if a cheap, delicious chick fil a opened up...

oy, I'd love to franchise a chick fil a

Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 AM

Brooklyngrad...I like chik-fil-a also, but if you believe the millions they spend lobbying politicians to make sure equality is not extended to others has no impact on the law or political process, you are so very very mistaken. What you are doing is paying chik-fil-a to employ lobbyists to deny you rights, and in 2012 you still don't have that right. Wonder why?

It has stopped the process and continues to stop the process in case you haven't noticed. You should ask yourself: is that delicious chicken sandwich really worth it, and what is the real cost? You would see the true price on our society is high indeed.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:42 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
That delicious sandwich is worth every penny when you believe Marriage is a Heterosexual Rite...not a homosexual "right".

Old 08-03-2012, 10:00 AM

53 posts, read 87,707 times
The accusation against the company founder may have some merit, but the response is disproportionate.

Since one person mentioned history, I'll compare it to the persecutions of business people in Germany and in Russia, like Kristallnacht, or the trial of Mikhail Khodorkovsky.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:08 AM

53 posts, read 87,707 times
Quote:
You should ask yourself: is that delicious chicken sandwich really worth it, and what is the real cost? You would see the true price on our society is high indeed.
Or maybe some people spend too much time on Huff Post & AlterNet. Just saying...

Old 08-03-2012, 10:09 AM

I was not aware of Alternet...I will check that out..thank you ma'am!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City