Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 06:33 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Kefir, the reality is you couldn't be gay and married in a NYC church either. It isn't just Mississippi, it is everywhere. NYers tend to think that sort of thing doesn't happen here, but in reality we are almost as bad in dealing with race/sex issues.
I realize that all too well Sobro.
I was just making the point that it is not only blacks that have suffered discrimination, in Mississippi, in NYC, and in the United States at both religious and governmental levels. In fact, Congress did NOT pass a law disallowing black and white intermarriage but DID pass a law forbidding the recognition of gay marriage.

But yeah, Mississippi has always been a special case and the world would best be served if the Earth opened up and swalloed the state lock stock and barrel.
As Phil Ochs famously sang:

"Here's to the land you've torn out the heart of.
Mississippi find yourself another country to be part of."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 02:06 PM

175 posts, read 352,892 times
People hate what they don't understand. Don't let that sh*t affect you personally.

Oh, and if you still live in Mississippi, this should serve as the final notice that you really should not still be living in Mississippi

Old 08-05-2012, 05:30 PM

32 posts, read 60,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
‘We welcome anybody:’ Members defend Mississippi church that blocked black couple’s weddingÂ* - NY Daily News

Black couple forbidden from marriage at white church...in 2012. I wonder what was happening 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 50 years ago? And these are the CHRISTIANS! Scary huh? This is life for black people in 2012...believe it.

Welcome to America in 2012. Sure we like to believe this is "just the South" or "obviously rare" but we know in NYC, the blissfully liberal city, this is more common than we like to believe.

NYPD cop faces civil-rights charges in alleged false arrest of black man - NYPOST.com
"A hate-spewing city cop roamed his beat like it was Mississippi in the ’60s -- once even hauling an innocent black man to jail for talking back, then boasting that he had “fried another n-----,” officials said yesterday."

It's rather depressing sometimes, and I'm not even black!
I'm African-American, grew up in NY but my family/roots are from all over the South. I'm proud of my heritage but they can keep that nut bush, redneck mentality right where it is (especially Mississippi). I have no desire to live among those small-minded people. However, at least with them, they're out in the open with it. In NY, they're much more phony and fake about it.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:23 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Racism is never going to completely go away but you can't ignore how much better things are. It's a joke to compare what people go through now to what people went through during slavery or even just 40 years ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City