Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:44 AM

484 posts, read 854,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Culturally NYC was much more better in th 80s, 90s, NYC had so much soul back then in those days.
i agree. it was much more affordable for everyone to explore the NYC dream. The mayors did not try to control you like Bloomshytz. You had a better chance of finding a job and a apartment and still enjoy the city within reason. NOW if your not connected socially finding a job is hard, finding a good paying job to find a apt and live the lifestyle is close to impossible unless you're ubber wealthy.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:11 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_o_matic 76 View Post
Portland, Seattle and Vancouver are places at the top of my list. They are as close to utopian as North American cities get
Sorry and no offense but you can't truly say Portland Oregon is a utopia. Not long ago a SoCal gang element infected Portland and it's still there afaik. The story on how the gang element ended so far north from its origins in SoCal, goes, in a nutshell, something like this: A market for illicit drugs exists in the Pacific Northwest. This isn't a big surprise to most people. (See the movie "Drugstore Cowboy" with Matt Dillon and Heather Graham as an example) The SoCal gang element saw a market and profitted enough to the point where they were able to establish an outpost in Portland. In other words, move there and "set up shop", so to speak. In a nutshell, to folks born and raised in Portland, the new SoCal gang element is obviously foreign and a cancer on their city - But these same locals know the reasons why things panned out the way they did. When a significant amount of young people in a community find they love to toke up herb and all that other jazz, well, expect things to go downhill. If this offends people, too bad, deal with it: Marijuana's a gateway to the wrong side of the tracks. Google this if you don't believe me. But everyone does have to admit, the air quality in the Pacific Northwest can't be beat. It's all those fabulous/beautiful trees!

Old 08-01-2012, 12:17 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
What's with all the NYC hate threads? Of course it is not without problems, but what isn't? I love it here and have no plans for living anywhere else (save maybe a move out to the suburbs if/when I have a family). I've traveled to other "big" US cities and for me, there is absolutely no comparison. Boston, Philly, DC, San Fran, Atlanta, Miami, etc, all very nice places with their own advantages but they are *not* NYC. If I was forced to move out of NYC to another city, the only places that I think can even compare on the scale of NYC are Paris and London.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
It has. see this article:

8.4 Million New Yorkers Suddenly Realize New York City A Horrible Place To Live | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Old 08-01-2012, 12:31 PM

531 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Took me 15 years to figure out that NY does indeed suck. I moved to *gasp* New Jersey and like it much better. Cost per square foot of my home is 1/10th what it would be in NYC.

Love it or hate it, I don't think anyone can deny that NYC is no place to grow old. If you're a married couple and starting a family, there is little reason to stay there unless you're looking to send your kids to horrible schools and raise your family in a shoebox (excluding the extremely wealthy, of course).

At the risk of offending some, I find single NY'ers in their 40's, 50's, etc to be a bit pathetic. They remind me of the neurotic characters in Woody Allen movies.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Sorry and no offense but you can't truly say Portland Oregon is a utopia. Not long ago a SoCal gang element infected Portland and it's still there afaik. The story on how the gang element ended so far north from its origins in SoCal, goes, in a nutshell, something like this: A market for illicit drugs exists in the Pacific Northwest. This isn't a big surprise to most people. (See the movie "Drugstore Cowboy" with Matt Dillon and Heather Graham as an example) The SoCal gang element saw a market and profitted enough to the point where they were able to establish an outpost in Portland. In other words, move there and "set up shop", so to speak. In a nutshell, to folks born and raised in Portland, the new SoCal gang element is obviously foreign and a cancer on their city - But these same locals know the reasons why things panned out the way they did. When a significant amount of young people in a community find they love to toke up herb and all that other jazz, well, expect things to go downhill. If this offends people, too bad, deal with it: Marijuana's a gateway to the wrong side of the tracks. Google this if you don't believe me. But everyone does have to admit, the air quality in the Pacific Northwest can't be beat. It's all those fabulous/beautiful trees!
Portland isn't infested with gangs, which any form of gang violence is actually pretty minimal and a fairly safe city anywhere within it.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:39 PM

271 posts, read 532,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post

I think your premise has a causation/correlation problem--- it's the gangs, not the drugs. If your argument is factual, that's a great reason to get drugs out of the hands of gangsters and into the hands of people who can distribute them without violence. If it was about the drugs, places that have even more pot than Portland or Seattle, like Toronto or Montreal, would be spiraling slums of addiction. Neither of these cities have gang problems and share lower crime rates than NW US cities.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:50 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Took me 15 years to figure out that NY does indeed suck. I moved to *gasp* New Jersey and like it much better. Cost per square foot of my home is 1/10th what it would be in NYC.

Love it or hate it, I don't think anyone can deny that NYC is no place to grow old. If you're a married couple and starting a family, there is little reason to stay there unless you're looking to send your kids to horrible schools and raise your family in a shoebox (excluding the extremely wealthy, of course).

At the risk of offending some, I find single NY'ers in their 40's, 50's, etc to be a bit pathetic. They remind me of the neurotic characters in Woody Allen movies.
...you know there are plenty of "suburban" areas within NYC that are more suburban than some of those surrounding suburbs in NJ and CT.

And what is the advantage of being a single 40 something living in suburbia? I have a singe friend (33 though, not 40s) who moved to suburban CT for work. Yes she has more space but is bored out of her mind. I'm sure if she was single and 40 something she would be equally bored out of her mind.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:56 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
...you know there are plenty of "suburban" areas within NYC that are more suburban than some of those surrounding suburbs in NJ and CT.
Not sure about being more surburban but you are right and they exists but the problem is the commute time and property price.

For similar amount of commute time, you get less expensive properties in NJ.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:12 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
Not sure about being more surburban but you are right and they exists but the problem is the commute time and property price.

For similar amount of commute time, you get less expensive properties in NJ.
Look to the NJ forum on this site. You'll find that NJ has a whole slew of it's own problems (property taxes being probably #1)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City