Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 02:05 PM

317 posts, read 819,595 times

Advertisements

I think liking one place over the other is relative.. I grew up here in Miami and I hate living in a place only meant for a few weeks' vacation. I am planning to move to NYC soon after I complete my Masters program next summer. I prefer the Urban environment much better along with its over crowdedness and everything that comes along with it, but I meet New Yorkers all the time that are in love with Miami and immediately want to move. I guess people like change in environment. As for rats with wings try living around lizards, palmetto bugs(huge roaches that fly), various spider, in some locations close to the everglades alligators...the list goes on.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:07 PM

127 posts, read 261,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
I think liking one place over the other is relative.. I grew up here in Miami and I hate living in a place only meant for a few weeks' vacation. I am planning to move to NYC soon after I complete my Masters program next summer. I prefer the Urban environment much better along with its over crowdedness and everything that comes along with it, but I meet New Yorkers all the time that are in love with Miami and immediately want to move. I guess people like change in environment. As for rats with wings try living around lizards, palmetto bugs(huge roaches that fly), various spider, in some locations close to the everglades alligators...the list goes on.
BTW...By 'rats with wings' I mean pigeons!

Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_o_matic 76 View Post
BTW...By 'rats with wings' I mean pigeons!
Haha, I was just about to say that, they are such disgusting creatures.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:14 PM

484 posts, read 854,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
smh, did you read the article or just posted it because of the headline? I know you don't like me, and I don't really care, but trying to paint Portland as some gang territory just because you found an article and googled a gang page from the northwest doesn't mean the city is infested with gangs does it? (and yes, I imagine you are smart enough to know the answer to that question.)

Yep. 8 killings...sound like an infestation to me, especially seeing in 2005 there were no gang killings. And 24 homicides in a year translates to a very safe city....which I should know cause I actually lived there.

Now if you wouldn't mind to simply move on because you are kind of sounding dumb trying to attack Portland for no real reason other than not liking me...
Portland gang land: Shootings on the rise | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

umm i dont dislike you, the problem is you assume a lot and dont read correctly or say that i said things i did not its very clear all you do is attack me from thread to thread which shows me how sad you are. btw you must be getting tired by now with all your sarcastic remarks towards me. As I am your victim of the day I assume.

btw besides gangs portland is infested with meth addicts who also commit crimes.

Is it safe sure but any city is safe if you're alert and any city can be unsafe if you're not alert.

an I dont want to continue about this since it has nothing to do with nYc

Old 08-01-2012, 02:18 PM

271 posts, read 532,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
Spent some time in Cuba, and man, are those lizards annoying/terrifying. I'll take roaches over them.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:20 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerage View Post
umm i dont dislike you, the problem is you assume a lot and dont read correctly or say that i said things i did not its very clear all you do is attack me from thread to thread which shows me how sad you are. btw you must be getting tired by now with all your sarcastic remarks towards me. As I am your victim of the day I assume.

btw besides gangs portland is infested with meth addicts who also commit crimes.

Is it safe sure but any city is safe if you're alert and any city can be unsafe if you're not alert.
urbanlife and peerage, can you both please stop saying 'infested' when the word I used was 'infected'? Big difference. If you can't remember the difference, crack open a 6th grade science book. The point was Bassomatic said something about Portland and utopian. My point is any type of gang presence that originates from SoCal and migrates to another unfortunate locale is not a utopia. I didn't know about the meth addicts, but all I can say is quelle surprise. Not to sound like my heroine Nancy Reagan, but I bet they started out with weed. Just say bloody no.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:23 PM

484 posts, read 854,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
urbanlife and peerage, can you both please stop saying 'infested' when the word i used was 'infected'? Big difference. If you can't remember the difference, crack open a 6th grade science book. The point was Bassomatic said something about Portland and utopian. My point is any type of gang presence that originates from SoCal and migrates to another unfortunate locale is not a utopia. I didn't know about the meth addicts, but all I can say is quelle surprise.
I use the word infested because I want to, there is nothing wrong with this word. fact i i see many times drug infested areas term used. If you don't like it Get use to it or ignore it. if you have something personal to say to me dm don't derail the thread with your comments to me about how I post.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:24 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
What if NYC gets nuked? -- where will all the new yorkers go? Remember, anywhere outside of the NYC area pizza and bagels supposedly suck. How will they survive?
Wouldn't they be in the afterlife or something like that?

Old 08-01-2012, 02:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Portland gang land: Shootings on the rise | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

an I dont want to continue about this since it has nothing to do with nYc
Quote:

an please stop derailing threads thank you chimp
Guess you changed your mind with what you originally wanted to post, and I am not derailing the threads, you are the one that seems pent on going off on these tangents with pointless posts trying to prove that somehow Portland isn't a safe city. When you compare it to NYC, it is extremely safe.

8 shootings in one month, I wonder how many shootings have happened in NYC this past month?

Trust me, Portland is a safe city if the OP is looking to move to somewhere else other than NYC, which any of the cities in the Northwest are great places to live if someone were thinking of leaving NYC for something better or less stressful or whatever....

Oh and talking about Portland is staying on topic because the OP brought up these cities. You shamefully attacking cities to simply try to crap on my posts is called going off topic, so could you please stay on topic.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:26 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Portland isn't infested with gangs, which any form of gang violence is actually pretty minimal and a fairly safe city anywhere within it.
Never once did I say 'infested.' Re-read and stop misquoting. The point is, had the "buyers" not been in need, the "sellers" would never have arrived. They would've stayed in Compton or wherever they came from originally.
Quote:
I use the word infested because I want to, there is nothing wrong with this word. fact i i see many times drug infested areas term used. If you don't like it Get use to it or ignore it. if you have something personal to say to me dm don't derail the thread with your comments to me about how I post.
Fine. My post (#66) was 5% for you, 95% for urbanlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City