Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 23,419 times

Advertisements

We are visiting NYC next week for one day (staying in Asbury Park, NJ) and will be taking the train in. We would like to check out Times Square, Central Park, Statue of Liberty, Metropolitan Art Museum ect, and I guess just the main stuff tourists go to see. A guided tour won't happen, its just out of our budget. Is all of this within the same general area without having to go huge distances, pay ridiculous fees, or dealing with subways to see these things? As far as the Statue of Liberty, we pretty much just want to look at it from land, and not do the ferry out to it. What would your advice be, as a native NY'er to make the trip worth while without spending tons of money, and just getting a general look at the main sights. Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 09:49 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,818,731 times
What you want to do can't be made "worthwile", for it lacks even the least bit of substance!! Nor is it realistic to cover so much in one day!

You could spend all day on any of those things, ESPECIALLY the Met!!

What's the point of "Speed Tourism'?? Is that like 'Speed Dating'?

Rather than train in. Take the car, drive to Staten Island. Park at one of the lots near the Staten Island Ferry. Take the Ferry over to Manhattan. Look at the Statue of Liberty from the Ferry as it crosses the harbor; and/or after the Ferry walk over to Battery Park and view the Ferry.

Then take the Subway up to the Met, spend most of the day there (pay the suggested donantion!!). Pack a box lunch, then have a picnic in Central Park. Explore the park.

Then take the subway back downtown to the Ferry, take the Ferry back to your car.

Oh, btw, the Ferry is free.

Freakin tourists!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:55 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,812,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
What you want to do can't be made "worthwile", for it lacks even the least bit of substance!! Nor is it realistic to cover so much in one day!

Rather than train in. Take the car, drive to Staten Island. Park at one of the lots near the Staten Island Ferry. Take the Ferry over to Manhattan. Look at the Statue of Liberty from the Ferry as it crosses the harbor; and/or after the Ferry walk over to Battery Park and view the Ferry.

Then take the Subway up to the Met, spend most of the day there (pay the suggested donantion!!). Pack a box lunch, then have a picnic in Central Park. Explore the park.

Then take the subway back downtown to the Ferry, take the Ferry back to your car.

Freakin tourists!
This . For the record everything he just said including donation and # of people going would be a whopping total of anywhere from $15-30. If you cannot manage that, then you really shouldn't be trying to visit the city...

Old 08-01-2012, 10:19 AM

95 posts, read 259,802 times
You COULD do these things in a day. Depending on how much you want to walk. I would personally start out at the MET, check out just one of the floors as this museum is huge!, then work my way down to Columbus circle through the park. Walk down Broadway to times square, then walk over to the west side by the river where you can see the Intrepid, walk downtown from there and run into the frying pan for a quick bite/beer, keep walking down until you can see the statue of liberty...now...this is a lot of walking but manageable if you can do it(not to mention also FREE). You'd also have to start out really early.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:21 AM

5,524 posts, read 8,783,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanson1985 View Post
We are visiting NYC next week for one day (staying in Asbury Park, NJ) and will be taking the train in. We would like to check out Times Square, Central Park, Statue of Liberty, Metropolitan Art Museum ect, and I guess just the main stuff tourists go to see. A guided tour won't happen, its just out of our budget. Is all of this within the same general area without having to go huge distances, pay ridiculous fees, or dealing with subways to see these things? As far as the Statue of Liberty, we pretty much just want to look at it from land, and not do the ferry out to it. What would your advice be, as a native NY'er to make the trip worth while without spending tons of money, and just getting a general look at the main sights. Thank you for your help.

For a one day trip to NYC pick just a handful of things that you want to see. If you're coming into Penn Station something like this might work if you start early and plan to stay through the evening:

At Penn Station get a Metrocard for $10. Avoiding subways or buses will not be possible in the short time you have, and they're not all that difficult to use. Take the C train up to 81st St and the crosstown bus to 5th Ave and you're at the Met, where you pay what wish. Spend an hour or two there. Perhaps walk through Central Park for a bit.

Leave the Met and get on any bus going down 5th Ave (those apartments you pass are where the 1% live) and get off at 59th St. You can walk down 5th Ave (all sorts of stores from Tiffany's to the NBA) to St. Patrick's Cathedaral (51st St) and then west, through Rockefeller Center (see the skating rink area) to Times Sq. Wander around Times Sq. a bit.

Go the Times Sq station and catch the 2 or 3 down to Chambers St, where you can get off and see the WTC Site and Museum, next to the Trinity Church Cemetary. You can also get tickets there IIRC for the WTC Memorial. But caution: this may take more time than you have or are willing to spend. Call up or go online to get the details about how it works.

Leave and walk down Broadway to the Battery. You'll pass Wall St (the Stock Exchange and Federal Hall are just down the block on Wall St) and continuing down Broadway you pass the famous Bull, near Bowling Green and the Museum of the American Indian. At the Battery you can see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island from the tip of lower Manhattan. If time permits, you can ride the Staten Island Ferry (free) across the Bay for a great view. You get off the boat, wait for the next one, and come back . No need to spend money to actually go to Liberty Island.

Back on the subway one last time (the 1 or R trains next to the State Island Ferry) will take you back to Times Sq where hopefully it'll be dusk and the lights are coming on. If you've never seen it at night it's spectacular. (Though us natives are jaded and avoid Times Sq. like the plague, it really is magical for out-of-towners. And extremely crowded.)

You can walk from here back down to Penn Station.

So there is citylove's down-and-dirty $10 tour of Manhattan highlights.

Enjoy my hometown!

Last edited by citylove101; 08-01-2012 at 11:41 AM..

Old 08-01-2012, 10:22 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,246,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewerCrawler View Post
You COULD do these things in a day. Depending on how much you want to walk. I would personally start out at the MET, check out just one of the floors as this museum is huge!, then work my way down to Columbus circle through the park. Walk down Broadway to times square, then walk over to the west side by the river where you can see the Intrepid, walk downtown from there and run into the frying pan for a quick bite/beer, keep walking down until you can see the statue of liberty...now...this is a lot of walking but manageable if you can do it(not to mention also FREE). You'd also have to start out really early.
Agreed. They can see a whole lot walkin from 59th to 34th. Catch the C to Chambers, see the WTC...etc.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:27 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,700,954 times
Quote:

Freakin tourists!
I was going to mention the ferry too as I've done that the last two summers. But when arriving to SI last month it costs 12 dollars to enter SI. Maybe it's cheaper at a certain bridge but from the NJTP it costs me 12 dollars. I think last year it was like 6-8 dollars. But ferry parking will run you about 7 dollars so right there you're spending about 20 dollars and they haven't even stepped into Manhattan. Then you're talking about a 25 minute ferry ride each way and that's assuming you get at the terminal right when a ferry is departing. If you're timing is off you could end up spending 1.5 hours in the day just taking the ferry to and from. Then it would take you another 20 minutes to get to Central Park/Times Square area via subway from South Ferry as well as a 20 minute commute back to South Ferry at the end of the day. I would only recommend that if they started early in the morning before 9 just because you'd be spending so much time between the ferry and getting to somewhere worth seeing.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:17 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,818,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I was going to mention the ferry too as I've done that the last two summers. But when arriving to SI last month it costs 12 dollars to enter SI. Maybe it's cheaper at a certain bridge but from the NJTP it costs me 12 dollars. I think last year it was like 6-8 dollars. But ferry parking will run you about 7 dollars so right there you're spending about 20 dollars and they haven't even stepped into Manhattan. Then you're talking about a 25 minute ferry ride each way and that's assuming you get at the terminal right when a ferry is departing. If you're timing is off you could end up spending 1.5 hours in the day just taking the ferry to and from. Then it would take you another 20 minutes to get to Central Park/Times Square area via subway from South Ferry as well as a 20 minute commute back to South Ferry at the end of the day. I would only recommend that if they started early in the morning before 9 just because you'd be spending so much time between the ferry and getting to somewhere worth seeing.
Can't agree with the above for the following reasons:

1) the cost of the bridge toll and parking will likely be less or equal to the cost of multiple people taking NJ Transit Trains into Penn (w/o a monthly pass discount!!).

In fact, according to the NJ Transit site, an Adult One Way ticket is $15. Perhaps there is a discount for 'roundtrip, but I didn't see it.

2) a) I don't agree with your Ferry times. B) checking the ferry schedule is as easy as a few online clicks. So no reason to spend 1.5 hours. C) In addition, if their intention was/is to see so much, then my assumption and comments regard an EARLY start! So, we're talking 'rush hour' when the ferry runs most frequently.

OR, just past rush hour, 9-9:30am, car traffic s/b lighter. Though parking rates may be higher.

Of course, one could park somewhere and take either the bus or the Staten Island subway to the Ferry Terminal. A little planning goes a long way. This way the parking fee is negated. Maybe someone knows about parking at the various train stations on SI.

3) In your comments, you appear to have little value in the Ferry ride itself. IMUHO, the Ferry it self is an *attraction* specifically the ride across the harbor. Too bad the old boats aren't running (or are they??). Standing outside, low to the water is quite enjoyable, AND I think a highlight. I, personally, enjoy the ride EVERY time!

In addition, IMO, most *tourist attractions* are in and of themselves a stupid waste of a trip to NYC. The Met, Central Park, and the Ferry ride, being exceptions.

Evidenced by the fact most NYers don't visit attractions, having NEVER gone, or having been once NEVER go again! There are just so *more* iinteresting and enlighting things to do. Crap, hanging in Washington Square and visiting Village (east,west) shops and galleries is a more interesting and AUTHENTIC experience than Times Square.

But, then, Tourists want to be tourists, and check the boxes on the *attractions* list, leave NYC w/o learning or knowing anything about the city----no matter how many times they come. Jmo. Check, check, check, "Oh, I had a great time in NYC." What was it like? "Crowded." What else can they say?

Anyway, OP, if you don't drive, I suggest rather than the train, take the NJ Transit bus. Not much to see on the train. IF I recall correctly there is a bus going to the Port Authority in Times Square which travels along Boulevard East along the pallisades (the cliffs overlooking the Hudson River). Along Boulevard East is the absolutely BEST view of Manhattan island. You willl be in awe and wonder, clicking away with your camera.

If you go this route, I suggest you ask the driver to let you off near the spot where Aaron Burr shot Alexander Hamilton, there is a little park where you can stand on the Cliffs. The time spent is worth the view of the true majesty of Manhattan.

Ask your friends/relatives how to catch that bus which travels along Blvd East into the Lincoln Tunnel.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:42 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,700,954 times
Quote:
Can't agree with the above for the following reasons:

1) the cost of the bridge toll and parking will likely be less or equal to the cost of multiple people taking NJ Transit Trains into Penn (w/o a monthly pass discount!!).

In fact, according to the NJ Transit site, an Adult One Way ticket is $15. Perhaps there is a discount for 'roundtrip, but I didn't see it.

2) a) I don't agree with your Ferry times. B) checking the ferry schedule is as easy as a few online clicks. So no reason to spend 1.5 hours. C) In addition, if their intention was/is to see so much, then my assumption and comments regard an EARLY start! So, we're talking 'rush hour' when the ferry runs most frequently.

OR, just past rush hour, 9-9:30am, car traffic s/b lighter. Though parking rates may be higher.

Of course, one could park somewhere and take either the bus or the Staten Island subway to the Ferry Terminal. A little planning goes a long way. This way the parking fee is negated. Maybe someone knows about parking at the various train stations on SI.

3) In your comments, you appear to have little value in the Ferry ride itself. IMUHO, the Ferry it self is an *attraction* specifically the ride across the harbor. Too bad the old boats aren't running (or are they??). Standing outside, low to the water is quite enjoyable, AND I think a highlight. I, personally, enjoy the ride EVERY time!

In addition, IMO, most *tourist attractions* are in and of themselves a stupid waste of a trip to NYC. The Met, Central Park, and the Ferry ride, being exceptions.

Evidenced by the fact most NYers don't visit attractions, having NEVER gone, or having been once NEVER go again! There are just so *more* iinteresting and enlighting things to do. Crap, hanging in Washington Square and visiting Village (east,west) shops and galleries is a more interesting and AUTHENTIC experience than Times Square.

But, then, Tourists want to be tourists, and check the boxes on the *attractions* list, leave NYC w/o learning or knowing anything about the city----no matter how many times they come. Jmo. Check, check, check, "Oh, I had a great time in NYC." What was it like? "Crowded." What else can they say?

Anyway, OP, if you don't drive, I suggest rather than the train, take the NJ Transit bus. Not much to see on the train. IF I recall correctly there is a bus going to the Port Authority in Times Square which travels along Boulevard East along the pallisades (the cliffs overlooking the Hudson River). Along Boulevard East is the absolutely BEST view of Manhattan island. You willl be in awe and wonder, clicking away with your camera.

If you go this route, I suggest you ask the driver to let you off near the spot where Aaron Burr shot Alexander Hamilton, there is a little park where you can stand on the Cliffs. The time spent is worth the view of the true majesty of Manhattan.

Ask your friends/relatives how to catch that bus which travels along Blvd East into the Lincoln Tunnel.
I wasn't aware that a ticket for NJ transit costs 15 per person. If that's true then obviously parking at the ferry terminal would be cheaper.

My point about the 1.5 hours is including the actual ferry times. When I last rode the ferry I clocked it at 22 minutes. By the time I got off the boat and exited the terminal it took 30 minutes. When 500 passengers are leaving the boat it can take some time to get off.

So right there you can expect to use 1 hour of your time on the actual ferry. Now, unless you get to the terminal at the right time you might end up spending 15-20 minutes waiting for the ferry. After 9 a.m. it only runs every 30 minutes until rush around. So if they arrive at 9:15 they are still going to wait 15 minutes. That's 1.25 hours and that's with no wait coming back to SI from Manhattan.

I assume the extra time because when you're first visiting NYC it's really hard to stick by scheduled times. It can be really confusing for some to catch the subway back to South Ferry station or any station for that matter. I've been on the subway a lot of times in the last 2 years and I still get confused when I first go downstairs because I'm sometimes confused on which way to go.

I also do think the ferry is a nice thing to check out. Great view of the skyline and statue of liberty. I just think they should be aware that staying at the ferry terminal will require them to spend a longer commute to Central Park and some of the things they'd like to see.

And I agree with you that visiting Washington Park or the village being nice things to see cause I've done it. I rode by bike through all of those places last year and I experienced so much more than typical tourist haven Times Square.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:47 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,626,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanson1985 View Post
Actually, if you just got a map of Manhattan and saw where these things are located, you'd know right away what's within walking distance. But the best way to get between midtown and lower Manhattan is by subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City