U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:04 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,677,568 times

Advertisements

Ever been to the dinosaur bbq next to the Fairway supermarket by 125th st and West side highway?

Is that authentic southern barbecue?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 09:09 PM

842 posts, read 4,089,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Ever been to the dinosaur bbq next to the Fairway supermarket by 125th st and West side highway?
No but I've been to the area a lot.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:14 PM

That place looks like it is always packed, but it not exactly a tourist, or yuppy area either. What is that neighborhood called?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 23,212,330 times
That's Harlem. It just happens to be right by the west side highway. The place has become popular because it is right by the highway and by the Fairway supermarket. People from all over the place go to that supermarket. It's more industrial than anything by the highway.

Apparently it has been featured on tv, so that is also why it is so popular.

I don't know how good Dinosaur BBQ is. Everyone I've heard about it from says it's good. A co-worker of mine lives in long island and even she went there. I have to make a trip over there one day. As good as it might be, I don't know how authentic a BBQ place would be in NYC, compared to the south at least.

Here's some info on the place and reviews,

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que - NYC Restaurant & Menu Guide. Menus, Ratings, Reviews. New York City, NY

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 10-03-2007 at 09:28 AM..

Old 10-03-2007, 09:36 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,284,015 times
It's good BBQ but not southern. They are from Syracuse NY where they are really big up there.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:04 PM

^^^

Oh really, so it is a chain restaurants

I am just trying to find the closest authentic southern bbq place to NJ so I can take a day trip

Are there any other Barbecue places in NYC, and what is the intersection?

Old 10-04-2007, 02:44 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,284,015 times
I don't know if it is a chain in the way we may think of chains. They only have 1 other location in Syracuse. You can look them up they have a website for their Manhattan and Syracuse locations.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:48 PM

470 posts, read 1,598,722 times
I hear you NJ Chutzpah. I am constantly searching for the perfect greens, with peppers and bits of ham.

That's my idea of Southern BBQ. I am a fan of Southern food in general, except for catfish. It tastes like dirt, IMHO.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:03 PM

7 posts, read 118,904 times
Its not a chain. There has been one in syracuse for years and it is so popular that they decided to expand to harlem. I have heard the harlem location is a big sucess for them. It is owned by a couple people from syracuse and is not franchised or anything.

Its worth it to go there, but its not traditional southern food.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:45 PM

922 posts, read 3,615,976 times
For the record, Dinosaur has a restaurant in Rochester too... authentic Upstate Barbecue

I'm a fan of real barbecue too. I've only had a chance to check out two spots in NYC. Sounds like I gotta get to Dinosaur. I've bought the sauce at the grocery store and used it on the grill at home, but never been to the restaurant.

Here is my NYC barbecue experiences:

Hill Country: Patterned after a real central Texas meat-market-style BBQ joint. You pay by the pound and they serve the meat in brown wax wrapping paper. I went with a friend who lived in Dallas and he said it's the real deal. Tip: Be careful when ordering the moist brisket -- I received slices that were 90% fat. The first time I went, I was impressed. The second time, less so. The meat was good both times. The second time, my mac-n-cheese was so bitter I couldn't finish it. I like a nice sharp cheddar flavor, but this just tasted awful. Also, the cafeteria-style service, no matter how authentic, can be a pain if the place is crowded. You wait in separate lines for meat, sides and drinks. I think the prices should be lower considering the cafeteria service. 26th St. btw. 5th and 6th

Blue Smoke: Real 'cue served up in Kansas City, St. Louis, Texas and Memphis styles. But the menu is more varied and creative, throwing some NYC dining style into the experience. Meat was moist and tasty. My wife said the banana cream pie is the one of the best desserts she's ever had. I thought the collard greens were great. Tables are too close together (like a lot of NYC restaurants, but that's my pet peeve). 27th St. Btw. Lex and Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: