Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 11:54 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,373 times

Advertisements

Why does Brooklyn have the most expensive insurance? This is truly for education. I have never owned a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 01:44 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
There's a very high rate of loss in Brooklyn, either to property damage or accident, so the costs tend to be much higher for insurance than other boroughs. Also, because in areas like Park Slope, where there are fewer garages, the rates can be higher because the car is more likely to be parked where it can suffer damage, on the street or in an open lot. Add to that a relatively high theft rate, and you have a recipe for insurance surcharges in the borough. There was a problem with a high fraud rate in Brooklyn as well, but I think that the DMV and the state are getting much tougher in that regard, where cars are registered out of state, but parked in Brooklyn on a daily basis as that's the principal residence of the owner.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-04-2012, 08:47 PM

12 posts, read 24,657 times
Answering a previous question, we own a Volvo XC90, but we also own an Audi A3. I'd prefer to keep the Volvo for its size (carrying baby stuff on road trips, going snowboarding in winters, etc), but perhaps the A3 is more practical.

Anyway, I sincerely appreciate the feedback. I had not heard of Riverdale or Forest Hills so I'll look into them. Some people have mentioned Astoria or Sunnyside in other threads -- any opinions?

I think we'd really prefer Park Slope since we already have friends in Brooklyn and it always comes up in our searches. I guess we just need to really gauge our need for a car.

Last edited by lanemeyer67ss; 08-04-2012 at 09:49 PM..

Old 08-04-2012, 11:01 PM

Okay, after more research and everyone's suggestions, we'll just go car-less and do zipcars/rentals. Park Slope is our first choice, but we'll check out Forest Hills as well.

Thanks again!

Old 08-05-2012, 07:33 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanemeyer67ss View Post
Okay, after more research and everyone's suggestions, we'll just go car-less and do zipcars/rentals. Park Slope is our first choice, but we'll check out Forest Hills as well.

Thanks again!
This might be an indicator of how practical/useful owning a car is in different neighborhoods.

New Yorkers and Cars | NYCEDC

40-60% for Forest Hills and Park Slope, though families are likely higher.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:27 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Park Slope is a great area as I have relatives in that area. They have a brownstone, but no garage, so they keep a small car locally, ironically an Audi, but rent, or borrow from me or other family members a larger station wagon or SUV for shopping trips or trips out of state. You may find a parking lot, as I know someone in Cobble Hill who pays less with an open lot, though it's only for a small MNI.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-05-2012, 09:37 AM

420 posts, read 823,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanemeyer67ss View Post

Anyway, I sincerely appreciate the feedback. I had not heard of Riverdale or Forest Hills so I'll look into them. Some people have mentioned Astoria or Sunnyside in other threads -- any opinions?
Astoria is great for raising a family, especially if you live near Astoria Park because it has a playground, lots of space to have a picnic, etc. However, it is more of a single-person or yuppie-type place so it has less families than an area like Park Slope.

Forest Hills is beautiful and excellent for raising a family. I recommend it!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:43 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
As a mom with a one-year-old, if you don't find what you are looking for in Park Slope I can recommend Ft Greene. Lots of baby and kid-friendly activities, but feels more relaxed than Park Slope. In my opinion, just as much artisanal and organic hoo ha to love but without the $1200 strollers and attitudes that go with them.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
As a mom with a one-year-old, if you don't find what you are looking for in Park Slope I can recommend Ft Greene. Lots of baby and kid-friendly activities, but feels more relaxed than Park Slope. In my opinion, just as much artisanal and organic hoo ha to love but without the $1200 strollers and attitudes that go with them.
Thanks for this feedback. Apparently that whole area (Park Slope, Ft Greene, Cobble Hill) seem to have great reviews for families, but we have a dog as well so green space is equally important. Park Slope's proximity to Prospect Park is attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City