U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 6,475 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been living in safe neighborhoods in manhattan for the past 5 years and am now looking to move to astoria (manhattan rents are outrageous). Is Crescent btw Astoria Blvd and Hoyt safe? It's 4 blocks from the Astoria Blvd stop. Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 09:34 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,298,827 times
You're fine, trust me you're fine.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:18 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,399,804 times
If you hadn't noticed, these "is it safe" threads have become less common. Yours is the first in quite sometime.

The question speaks of a certain naivete. Sometimes its just an annoyingly silly question (your case); sometimes its an irritatingly insulting question; other times it is a racially charged question based on stereotypes and/or outright prejudice and/or racism.

Either way the basic question has been RIGHTLY discouraged.

This is NYC, safe is a relatiive. What is not safe for you can be just fine for someone else. So what is safe? To answer such a question requires an equal mindset and view of the city. It requires "safe" to have a universal conotation, and in this city, such is not a reality.

In a multicultural, multiethnic, multiracial city of many "multiples" where all of that plus MONEY determines one's outlook, view, and determination of "safe", you should realize, you are not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy!

So, to ask in such a simplistic manner is to be presumptively iinsulting. Specifically, because people live everywhere! So, in their regard WHAT makes YOU 'special'??? Especially, when it appears questionable whether you can afford "safety" anymore than those living in places you will likely deem unsafe. So, again, what makes you 'special'?

It w/b more intelligent to ask in an articulate manner your PERSONAL concerns regarding your lifestyle, sex, background and your experience in NYC.

Simply saying I've lived in "safe" Manhattan neighborhoods means what, exactly? Safe? According to whom? Based on what criteria? Do you mean 'racially' safe? Is "safe" just a code word you are using?

Why ask the question w/o having been at least a little proactive! Do a forum search and you'll find MANY Astoria threads!!!

Or, do a forum search and read thru all the "is it safe?" threads.

Is it safe??

No!

Particularly if you are an ex Nazi torturer hiding in South America masquerading as a dentist with a briefcase full of perfect diamonds.

Massad is coming!

Now leave Dustin Hoffman alone!

Old 08-03-2012, 12:01 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,643,313 times
Yes that's a fairly safe area.
I ride my bicycle through that part of Astoria quite often, and never had any issues.
In fact, the only issues I have with people in Astoria (east of 21st) is that for some reason - transplant girls - always wanna ask me the time, and where I come from, and at some point it's becoming too tempting for a married guy like myself.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,475 times
Thanks everyone. Jcoltrane, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I actually don't think safe is subjective. Crime rate, amount of sex predators, # of burglaries, # of murders, # of shootings, etc. all go into differenciating a safe neighborhood from a non safe. It has nothing to do with race. Also, if a the block is mostly families, mostly young professionals, etc. all go into creating a profile for a neighborhood/block. When asking myself 'would I want my daughter to live on that block or not' I wonder of all the aformentioned characteristics that create a neighborhood/block profile. To your point, I should have read all the 'is astoria safe' blogs, however, I was trying to be more specific with the block.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice and apologies for offending anyone as that was definitely not the intention.

Best,

Old 08-03-2012, 03:23 PM

393 posts, read 743,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinrem View Post
Thanks everyone. Jcoltrane, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I actually don't think safe is subjective. Crime rate, amount of sex predators, # of burglaries, # of murders, # of shootings, etc. all go into differenciating a safe neighborhood from a non safe. It has nothing to do with race. Also, if a the block is mostly families, mostly young professionals, etc. all go into creating a profile for a neighborhood/block. When asking myself 'would I want my daughter to live on that block or not' I wonder of all the aformentioned characteristics that create a neighborhood/block profile. To your point, I should have read all the 'is astoria safe' blogs, however, I was trying to be more specific with the block.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice and apologies for offending anyone as that was definitely not the intention.

Best,
I don't know why Jcoltrane gets his panties in a bunch so much. While to some extent safety is subjective, that's not the case when you are clearly equating safety to incidents of crime. Yes that block is safe, and yes there are a lot of young people there who work in Manhattan but rent in Astoria. I think the majority of Astorians are a mix of old-school immigrants who have lived there for decads and the 20s-30s working crowd (the latter population increasing all the time). Nothing to worry about!

Old 08-03-2012, 05:08 PM

88 posts, read 215,034 times
lostinrem,

I live on this block. Aesthetically,it is gritty and dirty compared to some Astoria streets. But while I am not in love with the aesthetics of the block, I do not feel unsafe. I walk home from the Astoria Blvd. station late nights. Hoyt is the better street to walk down as Astoria Boulevard often has seedy characters out and about late night. Because Hoyt is next to the freeway, there are always cars going to and fro (which makes me feel safer) and Hoyt is well lit. Not a huge fan of the area but I am saving $800 a month as a result of moving from Manhattan to Astoria. I do miss living in Manhattan though.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:28 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,106,751 times
It's as safe as most places. I've never felt unsafe there. There could be problems in any area, though. You just need to have street smarts, period.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:54 PM

144 posts, read 299,610 times
Astoria is one of the safest areas that's actually close to manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City