Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 03:39 PM

145 posts, read 289,310 times

Advertisements

Quick question... I am looking to start a new life for myself and plan on planting roots in a brand new place. I'll be honest here - I'm from Milwaukee, WI and my first choice is honestly Cleveland, Ohio simply because A) I love it there and B) The Cost of Living is ridiculously cheap!!! I however have dreamed of starting a life in one of America's "Dream Cities", one of which is New York City (the other being San Francisco). Here's the situation (and this may very well sound stupid), I am single and don't have a college degree. I do not have a vehicle, nor do I feel I will need one in NYC.I will be moving with a total of $13,000 in my "Life's Savings". I will be coming with no job (unless I get one when I take vacation at work in April) and am willing to work ANYWHERE as long as it provides income. I make $11.92/hr right now and would like to match that (if not) exceed that. Also please note that I have very little debt. My range as far as rent goes is NO HIGHER than $600/month (insert laugh here). That's all I feel comfortable paying anyway. I am willing to go higher if needed (up to say $750), but I better have a job that can support the cost. I am open to living in a rooming house (Room For Rent) of sorts to begin my new life if need be. If this sounds completely insane and downright undo-able, than please let me know so I can scratch New York City out of my head. I need to stay within the city limits so suburbs are OUT of the question. I am willing to stay in any of the 5 boroughs though. Well 4 of them anyway. I don't think anyone (willingly) stays in Staten Island. I need a "safe" area. Harlem could work if needed though as parts aren't too bad that I know of. A low drug/violent crime area is obviously preferred. To give an overall idea of my "comfort level", I have lived in Chicago's Uptown as well as (where I now stay) Avenues West in Milwaukee.
So is this the craziest idea you've ever heard of? I've heard stories of people coming to New York (mostly from another country) with next to nothing in their pockets and they now have families and lives in the city. They have flourished! I'm coming with $13k. Is New York City really that brutal of a place to create a life and "make it" in? Thank you for any/all of your input. And sorry for the Staten Island blow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 03:43 PM

93 posts, read 194,268 times
13G's is good but its not going to last long homie. just come ready to pound teh pavement n hustle.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:48 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatKing216 View Post
Quick question... I am looking to start a new life for myself and plan on planting roots in a brand new place. I'll be honest here - I'm from Milwaukee, WI and my first choice is honestly Cleveland, Ohio simply because A) I love it there and B) The Cost of Living is ridiculously cheap!!! I however have dreamed of starting a life in one of America's "Dream Cities", one of which is New York City (the other being San Francisco). Here's the situation (and this may very well sound stupid), I am single and don't have a college degree. I do not have a vehicle, nor do I feel I will need one in NYC.I will be moving with a total of $13,000 in my "Life's Savings". I will be coming with no job (unless I get one when I take vacation at work in April) and am willing to work ANYWHERE as long as it provides income. I make $11.92/hr right now and would like to match that (if not) exceed that. Also please note that I have very little debt. My range as far as rent goes is NO HIGHER than $600/month (insert laugh here). That's all I feel comfortable paying anyway. I am willing to go higher if needed (up to say $750), but I better have a job that can support the cost. I am open to living in a rooming house (Room For Rent) of sorts to begin my new life if need be. If this sounds completely insane and downright undo-able, than please let me know so I can scratch New York City out of my head. I need to stay within the city limits so suburbs are OUT of the question. I am willing to stay in any of the 5 boroughs though. Well 4 of them anyway. I don't think anyone (willingly) stays in Staten Island. I need a "safe" area. Harlem could work if needed though as parts aren't too bad that I know of. A low drug/violent crime area is obviously preferred. To give an overall idea of my "comfort level", I have lived in Chicago's Uptown as well as (where I now stay) Avenues West in Milwaukee.
So is this the craziest idea you've ever heard of? I've heard stories of people coming to New York (mostly from another country) with next to nothing in their pockets and they now have families and lives in the city. They have flourished! I'm coming with $13k. Is New York City really that brutal of a place to create a life and "make it" in? Thank you for any/all of your input. And sorry for the Staten Island blow.
Only if you're willing to settle for a roommate situation. Apartments are very expensive here, if you tripled your budget you might find a decent small apartment, but no landlord will offer you a lease without a job. It doesn't happen.

It's roommates for you my friend. If that's OK with you, welcome to NY.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:54 PM

5 posts, read 7,464 times
Have you ever been to New York? Not to squash your dreams, but with that money and no job, doesn't seem like a good plan. Rents are high man... 13k goes much faster here than in Milwaukee or Cleveland.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:55 PM

20 posts, read 50,786 times
Quote:
My first reaction was "Boy, you got some cohones!", my second thought was, "Go for it!"

Look, I don't know how old you are but if you have that kamakazi attitude and are pretty flexible about where you live, taking into account your requirements about low crime/low drug/safe areas, shoot for what you want!

That being said know that with 13K (poverty level) is really scraping a living. Yes, it's been done, and yes some of our illegal aliens "do with" less, but it is roughing it. I guess if you're an adventurous person and have no one else to answer to but yourself it would be an experience. There are resources you could access to supplement your income (I'd hate to think I would be financing your "adventure" ) but they exist.

In the end I would not discourage you outright since you seem to be determined to do it anyway, but know it won't be easy. I hope you have some sort of long range plan though. Do you?

Good luck!

Old 08-04-2012, 05:57 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Stay put. Or you can rent my trash can to live in.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Stay put. Or you can rent my trash can to live in.
I'm such a mush...I don't like to discourage anyone from their dream, but this is probably the most realistic piece of advice given to this individual.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:10 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalWestSideGal View Post

I'm such a mush...I don't like to discourage anyone from their dream, but this is probably the most realistic piece of advice given to this individual.
Oh trust me, I hate crushing dreams too. But it's either you get the facts straight now or you get bit in the nuts by said facts later on once you move to NYC. And it's not a pleasant bite.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:18 PM

Too true, my friend, too true.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:39 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,230 times
Quote:
The safest area to live in NYC is Staten Island, but, you cannot afford to live here....and we have about 600,000 people willingly living here.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City