U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 03:16 AM

87 posts, read 202,365 times

Advertisements

A friend is loaning me his townhouse to live in as a temporary respite to get me out of Kentucky. It is an opportunity to live free of charge in NYC and may free me from bondage here in Appalacia. I grew up in Westchester before moving away from the East coast for university and life. I love New York and have visited often, spending most of my time in downtown Manhattan, absorbing everything the Village, Soho, TriBeCa, and Nolita has to offer. Lately, I have become enamored with Brooklyn and the multi cultural and hip gentrification that is "fast forwarding" almost too rapidly. If you turn your head too quickly, you'll miss a neighborhood shed years of gritty armor and take on a new cloak of trendy wine bars and boutiques.

This is all a preface to my trepidation towards moving to Staten Island. I literally know nothing about the place other then the ways to get into Manhattan by ferry and express bus. Being a writer allows me to set my own work hours and I never have a place I must be. What can be told about Staten Island? There must be wonderful Italian and seafood restaurants. Are there bars and watering holes where conversation and interaction are meaningful and provocative? Surrounded by water, there must be beautiful parks and walks that can stimulate a sleeping muse. If anyone can provide me with some salient information, I would greatly appreciate it. This is a traumatic move, and although most likely temporary, may be a last chance to get out of a purgatorial nightmare labeled Louisville, Kentucky. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 05:24 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,310,591 times
Do a forum search, staten island.

There's even a recent thread, did you miss that?

Old 08-06-2012, 06:53 AM

644 posts, read 1,100,741 times
Why would you not do it? Only you can determine if it's a good professional decision, but there's nothing about Staten Island that should keep you from making the move. Depending on where the house is, living there without a car might be a pain, but it's still possible. Personally, even though I live in Manhattan now, I get out on the weekends as much as possible. I'll take the peaceful and down-to-Earth areas of the city over Manhattan's rat races any day. This city has so much more to offer than just SoHo and trendy Brooklyn, and as a writer, I think you'll come to appreciate that. Go for it.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:41 AM

9,056 posts, read 22,455,430 times
Watch some reruns of the TV show "Mob Wives" and you will get a general idea of what Staten Island looks like.The portrayal of life there is a bit exaggerated of course but the streetscapes are not.

I get your self declared ignorance but not the fear.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:50 AM

32,087 posts, read 30,976,452 times
Staten Island has a lot of oddities on it and is becoming quite diverse. It's a fine place, I feel, though how far from the ferry would you be?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:12 AM

3,718 posts, read 6,601,422 times
PM me the area or address and maybe I can give you more info. I've lived here all my almost-49 years. Just like any urban area, there is the good and the bad. It's relatively quiet, but if you post your interests, we may be able to help with that as well.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:29 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,190,560 times
Yeah SI is really diverse so it would depend on the area you live. The further north you go ending in St. George and the ferry to Manhattan, the more noise, businesses, hustle and bustle you will encounter. The further south you go toward Tottenville, the more quiet and charming SI can become.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:07 AM

545 posts, read 859,814 times
Maybe you can partay with Big Ang and the other 'mob wives' while on the isle of staten...lol

Old 08-06-2012, 09:33 AM

Default A further explanation

My fear stems from not knowing a thing about Staten Island and being so used to Downtown Manhattan. I will be living in the Bull's Head area and I will have my car. It would be great to hear from folks what their favorite restaurants, bars, hang outs etc. are, since I literally have no familiarity with the borough and always feel the well publicized places are usually not the best. I have been checking out Jersey City and Hoboken which seem quite close to the Bull's Head area. My tastes run the gamut, but risking sounding like a pretentious jerk, I am well traveled and enjoy an artsy-fartsy kind of scene. Sports bars and beer joints usually are not what floats my boat. The West Village is probably my favorite area of NYC and some of my favorite restaurants are Lupa, Gotham Bar & Grill, Perry Street, Raouls, Saul in Brooklyn, SHO, Frankie's Spuntino;favorite bars include Kettle of Fish, Hotel Delmano in Brooklyn,Zinc Bar in the Village, Arthur's Tavern, Shade, Bar 89; I love water, working out, art, and just hanging out with irreverent people who don't take themselves too seriously and like to laugh. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-06-2012, 09:38 AM

Most of threads were about where to live and real estate. In addition, many of the replies were consumed by anger and recrimination revolving around a cultural bias. I always thought New Yorkers were more open to each other and did not become entrenched within a class structure. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City