Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 12:02 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times

Advertisements

well just keep thinking everything's sweet out here,
if that's your only known perspective of this country.
and fyi, i have been out of the states. there are rough
areas and nice areas in third world countries too. most
legal foreigners that come to america are bourgeoisie
anyway, sometimes livng way better off than lower
economic americans. take that how you like it. sorry
if you're offended.

go ahead out to brownsville acting
like everything is happy-go-lucky
if you want while you're at it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 12:05 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,569,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ you both don't know me like that,
and i bet you haven't even been to
some of the toughest parts of the
city to have a say. you must be
kinda sweet lol.

unless you're a refugee or political
prisoner, don't try to diminish me.

i never said foreigners didn't have
it hard wherever they're from, but
americans have it hard too. bye.
Some Americans have it hard but no where near as hard as some in third world countries have it. Here you can be poor yet still have a home, cable tv, clothes, and 3 meals a day. Take a place like Brazil for example. There is no govt assistance for poor people the way there is here. If you're poor and hungry, you have to do whatever it takes to eat. No ebt card, no section 8 housing, no nothing.

I myself grew up poor being raised by a single mother on welfare as a kid yet I still had a nice apt, xmas and bday gifts every year, nice clothes, all the food I can eat, video game consoles, etc. Poor I lived better than most people do in 3rd world countries.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 PM

271 posts, read 532,046 times
Let's put this into perspective.

Mexican family. Risks death or being in debt for life to set up an arrangement with a coyote. They meet the coyote in an urban center that doesn't have paved roads. Spends every penny they have, sometimes there's not enough money to send over entire families, so loved ones get left behind. Risks detainment, deportation, and possible eventual death by the very same coyote if unsuccessful crossing the border. Then, they reach the promised land... not the high rises of The Loop or the UES, the same blighted neighbourhoods with EBT cards, section 8 housing, cable, internet, running water, SANITATION, paved roads, unemployed folk driving Benzes with chrome wheels, iPhones, and New Era fitteds.

Oooooh yeah, lecture me again about poverty, please. Tell me just how miserable it is. Tell me about your struggle and I'll play the world's smallest violin for you.

Seriously, dude, you live in a cocoon and you're self-obsessed.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:29 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,827,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
Let's put this into perspective.

Mexican family. Risks death or being in debt for life to set up an arrangement with a coyote. They meet the coyote in an urban center that doesn't have paved roads. Spends every penny they have, sometimes there's not enough money to send over entire families, so loved ones get left behind. Risks detainment, deportation, and possible eventual death by the very same coyote if unsuccessful crossing the border. Then, they reach the promised land... not the high rises of The Loop or the UES, the same blighted neighbourhoods with EBT cards, section 8 housing, cable, internet, running water, SANITATION, paved roads, unemployed folk driving Benzes with chrome wheels, iPhones, and New Era fitteds.

Oooooh yeah, lecture me again about poverty, please. Tell me just how miserable it is. Tell me about your struggle and I'll play the world's smallest violin for you.

Seriously, dude, you live in a cocoon and you're self-obsessed.
Lol at least Mexico is on the border with the Usa think of being on a island Jamaica to be exact

Old 08-09-2012, 12:35 PM

271 posts, read 532,046 times
Jamaica's rough, no question, most of the islands are.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:57 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,903,909 times
A valid comparison would be among developed countries.
Say the US vs the UK, Germany, Sweden and so on. On that level I would say poor people here dont have it as good as their european counterparts, but to compare a developed country against third world ones is just silly.
There's a world of diffrence between them.
Our hommie 11kap is just clueless and talks without knowing the reality outside of the USA.

Btw, you dont have to have lived in a poor country to know this. Just common sense and a little reading would suffice.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:27 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Some Americans have it hard but no where near as hard as some in third world countries have it. Here you can be poor yet still have a home, cable tv, clothes, and 3 meals a day. Take a place like Brazil for example. There is no govt assistance for poor people the way there is here. If you're poor and hungry, you have to do whatever it takes to eat. No ebt card, no section 8 housing, no nothing.
I myself grew up poor being raised by a single mother on welfare as a kid yet I still had a nice apt, xmas and bday gifts every year, nice clothes, all the food I can eat, video game consoles, etc. Poor I lived better than most people do in 3rd world countries.

i wish the other guys had just said that,
because i agree with it 100%.

they're so busy going on me, they can't
see what i was saying tho. i guess
they lived among ghetto people there
whole life.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:43 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,398,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
There are many areas in the 5 boroughs that have lots of projects within the same area and they arent nearly as bad as Brownsville is today. Queensbridge projects is the largest housing project in the country and although they use to be much worse, they are pretty quiet and calm nowadays compared to Brownsville. In the Lower East Side you have about 16-17 blocks along Ave D of nothing but housing projects stretching from Delancey Street all the way up to East 14th street. Still doesnt compare to the savagry of Brownsville.
but in the lower east side the majority of the crime a strong majority happen in those projects, but i see your point.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,124,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Parts of Philly look like war zones, with shells of houses all boarded up and people hanging around listlessly in front. I have driven through Brownsville and never saw anything that resembled some of what I have seen while passing through Philly on the train.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=17th+...326.1,,0,14.01
I guess looks can't tell you everything, but this looks really bad (Philly)
That doesn't look too bad. These homes look bad. (And the funny thing is that the projects across the street look better than the regular homes). Or these homes....

Old 08-09-2012, 08:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
That doesn't look too bad. These homes look bad. (And the funny thing is that the projects across the street look better than the regular homes). Or these homes....
The second link is especially dismal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City