Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 09:58 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
So the South Bronx doesn't have ghetto culture? Or just less of it than Brownsville? [Haven't been to either]
I know nothing at all about the South Bronx, except that several friends have purchased properties and moved there. We have not visited yet but they claim it is very much a growth area with tremendous potential to be amazing. Their opinions have some credibility because all are New York natives and have a kind of framework to judge.

A relative lives adjacent to Brownsville so I have visited. What a sad place, and more sadly, with some beautiful buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 09:59 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I find this very hard to believe! Do you have any source that supports this?
He doesn't. It would make absolutely no sense to include jail statistics in a neighborhood's crime statistics. Even more absurd when you take into account that Rikers technically belongs to Queens, and not the Bronx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
So the South Bronx doesn't have ghetto culture? Or just less of it than Brownsville? [Haven't been to either]
Exactly. The South Bronx has just as much ghetto culture, if not more, than Brownsville.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets take a closer look at said precincts.

46th Precinct (University/Morris Heights, South Fordham, Tremont)

Black population:

1990: 38.3% Black
2010: 28.7% Black

Hmm. On second thought, my theory has proven not to be correct. The 41st, and 75th, are actually more black now than they where in 1990.

It was a theory, no need to get worked up.

Anyways, anybody care to explain Brownsville?

Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Let's hope not because it would not be smart. At all.

It should start with "G" - as in GHETTO CULTURE and the GHETTO CULTURE lifestyle.

I am beginning to feel like a broken record.
There are many black/spanish neighborhoods in NYC that embrace and idolize the "thug/ghetto culture" yet are still no where near as bad as Brownsville! It just so happens that when it comes to NYC, many of these neighborhoods happen to be predominately black. Crime does indeed happen in predominately white neighborhoods but they are miniscule compared to that of a neighborhood like Brownsville. Even if you look at predominately spanish/Puerto Rican neighborhoods in NYC such as Ridgewood Queens, Lower East Side Manhattan, Spanish Harlem, and certain areas of the Bronx that are predominately Spanish, you still dont see crime figures comparable to that of Brownsville. The most crime ridden areas in NYC at the moment are Brownsville, East NY, Harlem, and Mott Haven/Morrisania section of the Bronx. Each of those neighborhoods are predominately black with some spanish mixed in.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I know nothing at all about the South Bronx, except that several friends have purchased properties and moved there. We have not visited yet but they claim it is very much a growth area with tremendous potential to be amazing. Their opinions have some credibility because all are New York natives and have a kind of framework to judge.

A relative lives adjacent to Brownsville so I have visited. What a sad place, and more sadly, with some beautiful buildings.
The South Bronx is ghetto, as much as anywhere in the country.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
There are many black/spanish neighborhoods in NYC that embrace and idolize the "thug/ghetto culture" yet are still no where near as bad as Brownsville! It just so happens that when it comes to NYC, many of these neighborhoods happen to be predominately black. Crime does indeed happen in predominately white neighborhoods but they are miniscule compared to that of a neighborhood like Brownsville. Even if you look at predominately spanish/Puerto Rican neighborhoods in NYC such as Ridgewood Queens, Lower East Side Manhattan, Spanish Harlem, and certain areas of the Bronx that are predominately Spanish, you still dont see crime figures comparable to that of Brownsville. The most crime ridden areas in NYC at the moment are Brownsville, East NY, Harlem, and Mott Haven/Morrisania section of the Bronx. Each of those neighborhoods are predominately black with some spanish mixed in.
Pretty much. The South Bronx ghetto's are about 30% Black, and they are poorer than Brownsville, and have as many projects. Yet the highest murder rate there can be found in Mott Haven, at 20 per 100,000....which is far from the Bville's 30.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Except - I have traveled places in the US, and regarding other locations, you can substitute "white trash" for "ghetto." So it is not at all inevitable in connection to race.

People have choices every step of the way and they need to be accountable for those choices. Simply saying "black" areas diminishes the accountability, and also the necessity to make other choices.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:17 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
Quote:
Except - I have traveled places in the US, and regarding other locations, you can substitute "white trash" for "ghetto." So it is not at all inevitable in connection to race.

People have choices every step of the way and they need to be accountable for those choices. Simply saying "black" areas diminishes the accountability, and also the necessity to make other choices.
I agree but crime stats will show you that most crimes in these "white trash" area's in other states are mostly burglery/robbery. You dont see the sensless shootings and killings that happen at the rate they do in Brownsville.

Its one thing to be poor and commit crimes. Its another to be poor and just randomly shoot into a crowd with disregard for human life and hit women, kids, innocent bystanders for no apparent reason.

I currently live in a predominately Italian/Polish neighborhood in Queens. In the 3yrs that I've lived there I havent seen as much as a fist fight! The only thing that has happened since I've lived there is broken car windows done by young kids that were caught!

Last edited by louie0406; 08-24-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 08-24-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I agree but crime stats will show you that most crimes in these "white trash" area's in other states are mostly burglery/robbery. You dont see the sensless shootings and killings that happen at the rate they do in Brownsville.
Anyone know why ?

Old 08-24-2012, 11:10 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Mott Haven 1/3 to 1/4 of the residents are black but I saw some statistic a while ago that blacks in my area commit twice the crime as hispanics in the area. Its sad because an officer I know at the 40 precinct told most people who are arrested in the area a black. Mott Haven is not predominantly black but its mostly hispanic btw. In matter of fact some weeks ago I went on a job interview at the criminal court houose in the Bronx, i saw some box that said 40 P with names of the people filed exposed, most of the names I saw had an Anglo last names African Americans have Anglo last names followed by some. This is all based on my observation I could be wrong.

The only parts of the South Bronx that have huge concentrations of blacks are in the Housing Projects, 149 by the Grand Concourse as well as the areas South of Burnside avenue lilke Riverbank Towers. The part of the Bronx that has blacks as a majority is in the North East Bronx which is similar to SE Queens and Canarsie in houosing stock as well as similar in income but that part of the NE section of the Bronx has a lot of gun play for a middle class black area.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:11 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:

Ghetto Black culture is an extension from Red Neck, Hillbilly, hey yall culture of the south!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City