Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 01:48 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,343,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
One of my friends was almost robbed in broad daylight by a group of teens on friday afternoon about 3 years ago. We were waiting at my friends house which isn't even in the projects but it's still near the Junius Street stop of the 3 train. He got to the house short of breath and explained how he ran away when they approached him to ask for the "time".

I, on the other hand, was fine. Don't really like visiting the area at all. The only area I was okay visiting was around east 95th and avenue A/B. Although I don't really think that's Brownsville.
Ave A is without question east flatbush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 01:52 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,343,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I was in Brownsville a few months ago. I forgot if the projects were Van Dyke, Tilden, or Brownsville. Anyways we were at the gas station, on a warm Friday afternoon, and nothing happened. Nada. What I did see was a crackhead, which I don't see everywhere. It was the blackest neighborhood I ever saw, kinda reminded me of Harlem. So, some of you people exaggerate. It is the worst neighborhood in the city, but really is it any different than Soundview below the Bruckner?
That's the blackest neighborhood you ever saw?

Just curious are you always mainly in upper manhattan, and the Bronx??

How black do you consider the northeast sections of the bx???

Old 09-29-2012, 06:52 AM

33,428 posts, read 46,858,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
Ave A is without question east flatbush.
It's really Remsen Village.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-29-2012, 06:53 AM

33,428 posts, read 46,858,020 times
Quote:

SuperMario doesn't get out much.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-29-2012, 09:26 AM

573 posts, read 1,458,482 times
Personally I don't know how black are parts of the North BX. Now I don't know if thats considered Crown Heights, Ocean Hill or Brownsville but I strolled down Ralph Ave from Eastern Pkway to Bergen St on a hot afternoon, pretty much everybody I saw was black.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:35 AM

5,720 posts, read 19,994,581 times
Quote:

The north-east Bronx is probably just as black. However, I am always there (NE BRONX) at wee hours of the night. At that time, there is not much foot traffic, and you can't really grasp the extent of the blackness. My trip to Brownsville, was in a very crowded avenue, in the afternoon, so everything is on full display.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:36 AM

5,720 posts, read 19,994,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
SuperMario doesn't get out much.
Bet you I've been to more places than you. There is not one area of the city I have not been to.

You think a young, handsome guy like me, who has friends all over, is going to stay stuck at home?

Old 09-29-2012, 11:46 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,214,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
Personally I don't know how black are parts of the North BX. Now I don't know if thats considered Crown Heights, Ocean Hill or Brownsville but I strolled down Ralph Ave from Eastern Pkway to Bergen St on a hot afternoon, pretty much everybody I saw was black.
and you're still alive! Sobro is gonna like this...a french kid in the hood!!!

Maybe the next official C-D meet up is gonna take place on the premises of Tilden Houses!

Old 09-29-2012, 01:42 PM

573 posts, read 1,458,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
and you're still alive! Sobro is gonna like this...a french kid in the hood!!
haha, I can definitely tell the area is sketchy as hell, but for the most part I actually felt comfortable walking around, I found quite amusing how people were looking at us like "What the hell are you doing here, this ain't no place for tourists !", the only time I got a little nervous was on Bergen walking along Kingsborough projects, where a whole bunch of dudes started staring at us for a few seconds, but that was all then we got back to Utica for lunch and eventually were perfectly fine.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:45 PM

31,342 posts, read 14,108,713 times
08-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Klassyhk
117 posts, read 131,543 times

Guys in video said they don't understand why

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ads by Google

Online Job - $629/day - $87/hr Part-Time Job Openings. Requirements: Must Have Computer. - USAweekly.org

Online Job - $37-$47/hr - Work at Home - $629/day. Flexible Schedule. No Scam. Start Here! - Daily47.com

McFaddens Catering - Weddings, BBQs, Corporate Events, and More. Call Us Today! - McFaddens catering and the Lakeside Manor Caterer South Jersey Philadelphia Cherry Hill NJ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The guys in the video said they don't understand why the young brothas can't go from project to project or walk through the project (without something bad going down). To understand it, one has to consider: hundreds or even thousands of fatherless young males in those projects growing up without having a dad in the home who mentors, teach, protects, and take them out to spending quality time together (sports, fishing, camping, biking, hiking, ATV, etc) like the majority of males in other races have. Jailbird dads and married-men dads (has a wife and family but had this baby out in the street as they call it) don't/can't do these things with these young brothas.

Add a mother/grandmother/ or aunt who has to do it all by herself including raise other children she had outside of marriage making her rough road even rougher.

Add the emotional inflammation and instability that is characteristic of the majority of women in this predicament (emotionally abusive:constantly yelling, screaming, cursing, mad, angry, threatening violence),

Add the few acceptable outlets in the community that these women have available to relieve themselves from their daily misery with momentary flashes of happiness: food, spending money as soon as it lands in their hands, drugs, alcohol, sex, (particularly have another baby for the positive attention, congratulations, and pats on the back from the other single mothers in the projects).

Add the emotional turmoil this places upon the children growing up in such households.

This adds up to a generation of young males (and females) who are emotionally disturbed and/or have many other undiagnosed mental issues (borderline personality disorder, oppositional defiance disorder, impulsive control disorder, bi-polar, addictive behaviors, compulsive lying, and suicidal ideation as well but because the community stigma is so strong against suicide it's rare - they'd rather commit homicide instead over someone stepping on their sneakers or someone looking at them wrong, or get into fights and have shoot outs out of boredom since when not having sex there is nothing engaging or mind building for teens in the projects to do other than stand around outside (often listening to loud music) and people-watching before delving into arguments and fighting over nonsense.

Most people in the projects (but certainly not all), from the eldest to the youngest, are clinically depressed (undiagnosed) as can easily be corroborated by spending time in the projects observing as well as talking to the people who live there. They don't acknowledge it as such because that's all they've ever known so it's "normal" to them. I guestimate less than 1% of those "affected" are in any type of ongoing therapy. They will only do enough concerning their mental health to keep the SSI checks coming in such as "yeah, I hear voices and I often feel sad" when questioned by mental health professionals. They're not lying about feeling sad though. How can anybody not feel sad living in those circumstances as described above?

This is the basic reason why the males can't travel from project to project without something bad happening. Only a few will make it out to experience what else the world has to offer. The majority won't but will repeat the same cycle their dad and mom did. This scenario is basically identical, with only minor changes if any, in every Black ghetto/hood in this country.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I actually agree with a lot of this, but the ? then becomes, what is the solution? How about some LEADERSHIP from Barack Hussein Obama, using the bully pulpit to tell the black "men" in these communities to man up and support your children? It really all starts with the breakdown of the family. The other stuff is all secondary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City