Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 06:39 AM

435 posts, read 1,520,909 times

Advertisements

My problem is the idea that being minority+poor means you somehow have a "right" to your neighborhood. I don't beileve it would be "right" for an UESer to state wealthy anglo-saxtons own that hood, so neither should Bushwick.

As far as dog eat dog goes, Our nation hasn't nearly fallen as far economically as the media wants you to beileve. The real reason for the spiraling violence and chaos is the decline of parenting, the Church, and Fathers in young people's lives. Ironically, these social pathologies have increased since the beginning of our nation's cultural liberalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 07:17 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
As far as dog eat dog goes, Our nation hasn't nearly fallen as far economically as the media wants you to beileve. The real reason for the spiraling violence and chaos is the decline of parenting, the Church, and Fathers in young people's lives. Ironically, these social pathologies have increased since the beginning of our nation's cultural liberalization.

50+ years of liberal social polices and many dopes still don't realize that those ideas aren't working.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:51 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
there's 2 much public housing in bushwick for it to be completely gentrified.....if anything it will take 10+ years.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:14 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,603 times
I didn't invent these social policies, which were far from liberal. Did you?

Meaning, slum clearance, urban renewal, decline of industrial jobs and unskilled labor, demolition of once stable neighborhoods in exchange for pj's, etc.

From there, we can take it to the next level. The decline of religion etc in the Us cuts across all class and economic lines. Who do you want to fault for that, and how many centuries do you wanna take to try and correct it?

Old 10-23-2007, 01:31 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Yes, Hustla, but ...in my case, I have nothing to gain. I just question the motives of those who are advising a young woman AFTER THE FACT that the area is super dangerous, all things considered.
I agree with you on this.

As far as your tips, they are good tips. But I wouldn't want to live that way. (especially since it gets dark around 4:30pm in the winter.)

PS: My Ob told me I needed more exercise when I was pregnant. So I walked all the way to Myrtle and Wycoff at 9am during the week. Besides being a lot longer of a walk than I anticipated, I found it to be uncomfortable in some spots due to seeing Methadone addicts walking around in plain site.

Last edited by roseba; 10-23-2007 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Not Weekend, but week

Old 10-23-2007, 01:33 PM

Roseba, I can see where having children would put a completely different spin on things. Absolutely.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcat16 View Post
All I have to say is, when moving out of state, its hard to know what areas are good and bad. When I came to look at the apartment, I honestly thought all of Brooklyn was like that, so I didnt really have an issue. Yeah, I know I was naive, but I was desperate for an apt. Alos which is weird, when I first moved here, I wasnt scared, not scared of walking, being alone. But now after reading everything I've read, listened to what everybody has said, Im terrified.
I'll have an apartment for you in a little over a year in a safer area a few minutes further out. (I'm moving out of town for more affordable housing.)

Old 10-23-2007, 01:44 PM

OK, new forum please moderators....NYC apt exchange?

Not a bad idea, really.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Like I've said before, the street Im on is nice. Nice brownstones, families, not too loud. I feel comfortable in the day time, but at night I dont venture out by myself. On broadway by the J is fine also. I usually get asked for money, but thats about it. I just feel Im getting more and more paronoid everyday. Mostly because of what I've read, but on the other hand Im glad that im informed. Im still getting use to NYC in general, so hopefully in time I'll feel better. Thanks again Elvira!
You said that your street is fine, and your walk to the subway is fine. If that suits your comfort level, then that too is fine.

I think when people talk in terms of neighborhoods, I think they mean as a whole.

I lived in a very nice block in a very bad area when I was a kid. And despite good people on the block, you still had to walk past the bad element when you took the bus, went shopping etc.

And my momma always told me never to go visit with my friends who lived in the projects because she felt the projects weren't safe. I didn't listen to her, but.... SHE WAS RIGHT. I was just a foolish kid and didn't understand the true ramifications of the things she said.

But you are an adult and that in itself makes you a lot safer than an 11 year old. You have to do things on your own comfort level, not anyone elses.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Im looking into Kensington and maybe sunset park. The only thing is I've heard mixed things about sunset park. I have to go there myself and check out the area. What about Kensington, anything I should know?

The part of Sunset away from the train station, say above 6th avenue is a lot nicer. Mostly Chinese immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City