Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:43 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,589,796 times

Advertisements

Yes, but... (there's always a but, lol...)

I'm figuring many newcomers simply don't have the bucks to live in some of the safer areas. Or maybe they do, but don't want to live so far away from the action if that's what they moved here for in the first place. Or they don't want to live with a roomate. And so on.

Realtors take advantage of everyone, as a rule. I've heard posters here say that the realtor swore up and down it's up and coming, lots of young folks like yourself moving on in, safe, blah blah blah. Posters like Hustla and the post above by jjbradley can be very useful in knowing what specific blocks in a specific area are better than others. And it all changes so quickly now anyway...So it's good to realize that everyone on here has an opinion. There are other sources aside from this forum, which although it can be very useful is only one of a vast number of sources available on the net which will give you very useful info. I say the more info you have, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 10:57 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,853,245 times
Quote:
Who's to say there aren't 1000 homicides a year in NYC? A lot of New Yorkers have no family, are unemployed, have nowhere to live, etc. If they're killed, who will know about it?
There is alot of twisting the numbers when it comes to crime statistics but I don't think that homicides are a category where they can hide the bodies. I have seen some cases where they were classified as "investigate DOA" when it should have been labeled a homicide from the beginning but it all catches up in the end.

Being a cop, Hustla can give a different perspective that the ordinary citizen cannot. It may be ugly at times and it may seem over the top other times. You have to remember that cops see the worst of people much more frequently than the rest of the population.

It seems that many people here possess a positive attitude towards almost every nieghborhood in the city. That is refreshing because there are very few places that I would recommend to a family member who wanted to move into NYC. It's good to see the various views... but I'm certain it confuses the hell out folks researching a new place to live.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:11 AM

Well, confusing is what you get when it comes to NYC! It's a confusing place to live..lol.

But seriously, there's so many sources of info on the web aside from just this one.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:38 PM

45 posts, read 188,736 times
Im sorry to keep posting things regarding Bushwick, but I feel my questions still have not been completley answered. Yes I know Bushwick is a bad area, but where exactly is bad? Does anybody know Bushwick inside and out, like have you ever lived here? Basically I've lived here now for a little over 2 months, and the only part of Bushwick I've seen is from my apt to the subway, which is maybe 5 blocks. Like I've said before, I live close to the J Kosciuskzko stop on Broadway. All I've heard about Bushwick is negative things, but the Brownstones on my way to the J are beautiful! Yeah, there is trash in the street, but I work in Park Slope and theres trash in the street too! Im trying to move because I dont want to put my self in a bad situation, but its hard trying to find a decent place within my budget and having a large dog. I believe what people have posted about Bushwick, but im just wondering if anybody knows about the area that im at. Thanks again for everybodys help.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:34 PM

I think you are going to have to take a walk around the area on the weekends during the daytime. That's really the only way to really know, and decide if it's tolerable or not.

I don't know if you saw it, but there's a Brooklyn Development in Flatbush that might suit you. Flatbush gardens--you can do a search on the web.

However, if you listen to many here, Flatbush is a horriblly dangerous place to live.

If you listen to everyone else instead of finding out for yourself, you will likely find yourself with nowhere to live at all.

Give the 'hood a chance--you're lucky you have no lease so you have no terrible pressure. Serously, take a walk in the daytime. It will answer many of your lingering qaestions and doubts.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 PM

PS: If you haven't read through the whole thread, I'd highly recommend reviewing it. There are, for starters, some caveats about walking in any area at any time.

Use some internet resources to find out more. Go to mapquest.com and put in your address and search for he nearest grocery store, coffee shop, nearby parks, libraries, etc etc. Search under Flatbush for more info about your neighborhood from additional sources--this forum is frankly not sufficient.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:43 PM

Like I've said before, the street Im on is nice. Nice brownstones, families, not too loud. I feel comfortable in the day time, but at night I dont venture out by myself. On broadway by the J is fine also. I usually get asked for money, but thats about it. I just feel Im getting more and more paronoid everyday. Mostly because of what I've read, but on the other hand Im glad that im informed. Im still getting use to NYC in general, so hopefully in time I'll feel better. Thanks again Elvira!

Old 10-15-2007, 06:45 PM

I havent read it yet, but I will. My only thing is, my boyfriend goes to school and works in Manhattan, and I work in Park Slope so we need to be close to both.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:49 PM

842 posts, read 4,299,961 times
I don't think Flatbush and Bushwick is ready for gentrification. It might and it might not. But most likely not for a long time

Old 10-15-2007, 06:51 PM

Question is: how much gentrification do you personally require in exchange for rent you can't easily afford? That is something only the OP can decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City