Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 03:22 PM

8 posts, read 16,808 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Looking for a bit of advice (or links to similar posts regarding relocation). My Husband has been offered a position within his company in NYC. They would move us to the city, they have a broker they use for locating us housing, etc..

We are both 30 years old and have a 2 month old son.

Here are my questions:

1. Which area has the best/shortest commute to Grand Central? My Husband will be working about a block away from there.

2. Family friendly communities? Stroller friendly? Pretty safe? I don't want to be near bars or nightlife..

3. This will be the first time in our life we will actually rent a home, not purchase one...so what do I need to prepare myself to expect? We do not want to spend more than $2,000 per month for rent. Is that reasonable? Or should we expect to spend more?

4. Anything I need to think about that I wouldn't know? I've only visited NYC...

5. What about childcare? How is it priced in NYC? Daycare?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 08:17 PM

241 posts, read 591,664 times
For Grand Central, I'd recommend Upper East Side. It's family friendly, though I am not a parent and cannot give you specifics. But, if you could up your budget to $2500-$3K, I think you'd be happier. $2K will only get you a one bedroom, which may be enough, but maybe not.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:22 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,213 times
He's right about the Upper East. If 2,000 does not have much wiggle room, then look at Queens- Astoria or Sunnyside- if you aren't going to partake in the nightlife or restaurants or arts much, you should move out of Manhattan- everything becomes cheaper, including child care.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:56 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
You would definitely get more bang for your buck in Sunnyside. Grand Central is a quick commute on the 7 train.

Sunnyside Queens for Parents and Kids - Queens Mamas- Queens NYC for kids and families

Old 08-08-2012, 06:41 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
He's right about the Upper East. If 2,000 does not have much wiggle room, then look at Queens- Astoria or Sunnyside- if you aren't going to partake in the nightlife or restaurants or arts much, you should move out of Manhattan- everything becomes cheaper, including child care.
because they live in astoria they cant partake in nightlife or restaurants in Manhattan?

Old 08-08-2012, 07:13 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,213 times
"are not" and "cant" are not the same words or meanings.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 AM

82 posts, read 218,805 times
I think we need to get a little more clarity on the life-style you want over here. Do you want suburbs or New York City? If you're not sure, think about these questions: 1) do you want to walk around primarily, or drive? 2) do you want an apartment or house? 3) what is a "short" commute? 4) what kind of daycare are you thinking about? Nanny or daycare? (the latter is surprisingly in short supply over here); 5) Are you going to be working outside the home? It may be, for example, that you're on the wrong forum - i.e., that you're looking for a house in the burbs, which we definitely don't have here in NYC.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:32 AM

Sure, here's more info-

I'm in product development for a wholesale company and will be able to work from home. I will not have a flex schedule- I will need to keep the same hours as the rest of the PD team in Dallas and Atlanta. So, basically Mon-Fri 8-5pm (but definitely somewhat flexible).

Hubs wants a commute of 30-45mins or less. We do not want to bring our car and truck to the city, we plan to sell and downsize. So we will walk, I guess... In Houston he had a commute of 1.5 hrs for 4 years so 30-45mins sounds blissful...

We plan to rent an apartment while we live there. Our ultimate plan is to stay for 2-3 years then move home to Texas.

I don't know what to expect in regard to childcare. What is available in NYC? If daycare is in short supply what do people do? Also, can anyone give me the typical $$ of daycare vs. nanny in NYC? I will be home all day so it would be possible for us to do the nanny thing...

We aren't party people, and we're not interested in a night life. We DO want to explore the city on the weekend and every chance we get- taking advantage of everything that is available.

Living in NYC is definitely a foreign concept to us. His company takes 100% care of our move, and they put us in a hotel until we find housing.

I think I would rather live outside of Manhattan, any suggestions for specific area?

We've researched our tax bracket to see where we stand after taxes, I haven't been able to find anything about child care yet, and we've also looked at the general cost of living in regards to food, groceries, etc..

What am I missing?...

Old 08-08-2012, 09:34 AM

And, let me clarify further- my Hub's company takes care of securing housing and all of the negotiating, documents, etc... They basically do everything for a move to NYC as they understand the difference from living elsewhere and the city...

Old 08-08-2012, 09:46 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
because they live in astoria they cant partake in nightlife or restaurants in Manhattan?
One could also argue that by saving rent money -living just across the river- it might actually give them more chances to do all those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City