Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:09 PM

5 posts, read 22,763 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have been dating my girlfriend for 4 1/2 years and I want to make a proposal to my girlfriend in a romantic setting.

I live in Northern NJ (W Orange) and we're very close to the city.

We both go very often to the city and I thought that the best place for me to propose is on top of a roof in NYC.

She is currently in Portugal until the end of the weekend and I want to start preparing for it.

Would any of you know of or have access to a roof of a tall building in NY so I can propose to her on?

I have looked into the rooftop bars/restaurants but I feel that will kill the surprise - I wanna be able to tell her something like - hey let me show you this place that my friend and I sneaked into while you were in Portugal and as we climb up and get to the top - I would have campaign, candles, and the ring. a Place on the Lower to Mid East side would be perfect.

I would be happy to pay you for the time you spend helping me with this - though I am not rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 12:25 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Have you thought about The Empire State Building? If you plan well enough ahead, you might be able to arrange the champagne and candles but I think the sentiment itself without the champagne and candles is just as wonderful. If anything, you can bring a small backpack with a small bottle of champagne and nice plastic champagne flute glasses. Check to see what the weather will be like that day too. Sunsets also make beautiful backgrounds.

There's also Belvedere Castle in Central Park. It's not high up but the view is beautiful. It's not big at all so you may have a crowd.

I find the restaurant proposals are kind of boring. Kudos to you in making it a fun proposal. Congratulations and good luck!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:32 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,765 times
top of the rock. some guy i know actually proposed there. i think it's not unusual. she said yes, for what it's worth. thankfully they called it off, she was total nutballs. but i assume your GF is way cooler

if you want a place to "sneak into" that's not touristy like that... well you'll have to have a friend who lives in one of the high rises. i know of a few in midtown west that have open roofs for residents so there are places. good luck. maybe post on CL rather than here

Old 08-09-2012, 08:31 PM

I've thought about the top of the rock & The Empire State Building and I would just prefer to have that "sneak into" factor.

I wanna make it a complete surprise for my girlfriend who is not a nub job in any way :P (she is very wonderful

So yes... I guess I am looking for someone that has access to a tall high rise...maybe a place they work at or live.

if you or someone you know has a place like that please please email me @ peterknj@yahoo.com I am willing to pay for the time it will take you to show me the place and arrange it.

Honestly I if I can find this place..I would be the happiest person ever.

Thank you all in advance

Old 08-09-2012, 08:44 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Well, the standard east village has a BEAUTIFUL roof top room they only really rent out for events (I think). You could probably arrange to have dinner in the restaurant and set up something up stairs and "pretend" that you are sneaking up there. You can also book a room for after! I am almost 90% sure its an event only place so no risk of a crowd and if you clear it with the hotel theres no risk in being arrested. You wouldn't want to sneak into some place and have the cops sneak in after to ruin it would you? I just see it as next to impossible to sneak into a building that you aren't authorized to be in without getting in trouble.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:24 PM

the pictures on the website look nice. I will look into that this weekend.

I know what you're saying about getting arrested...but her and I do this kind of stuff all the time, just never in NYC.

I am still wondering if there is even a less "predictable" place.

I appreciate the feedback thus far though, this forum seems very responsive & nice.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:55 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
During the summer months, the Metropolitan Museum of Art has a rooftop (with small cafe in part of the area) open to the public. It has a nice view. So that could be another option for you.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:52 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peternj View Post
I've thought about the top of the rock & The Empire State Building and I would just prefer to have that "sneak into" factor.

I wanna make it a complete surprise for my girlfriend who is not a nub job in any way :P (she is very wonderful

So yes... I guess I am looking for someone that has access to a tall high rise...maybe a place they work at or live.

if you or someone you know has a place like that please please email me @ peterknj@yahoo.com I am willing to pay for the time it will take you to show me the place and arrange it.

Honestly I if I can find this place..I would be the happiest person ever.

Thank you all in advance
If she's not expecting a proposal at all then no matter where you do it, she will be absolutely surprised. But I think it's really special that you want to plan it in a way that is meaningful to both of you.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:03 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
I second the Top of the Rock as being the most easily arranged.
You can keep the surprise factor by just saying you are going up there to have a couple drinks under the night sky...totally plausible.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:24 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,765 times
top of the rock you really don't have to arrange anything

but you should sneak away for a sec and talk to the people at the metal detector so they know not to blow your cover by emptying your pockets

i really suggest posting on CL. i'm sure someone there would love to help, and you'll have a much much larger audience than here. it's quite possible no one reading this thread lives in a manhattan high rise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City