Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:20 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

unless your disabled ,cross bows arent legal for hunting. no problem owning bows and arrows though in nyc.

i used to shoot archery competitively in queens.

to hunt you will need the bow course and hunter safety course in order to get your hunting license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 10:07 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Darn, wasnt there a time when it was very easy to get guns in NYC? My uncle is always telling me stories about people and criminals alike packing heat all the time to scare each other away in the 70s and 80s.
It was easy, it just wasn't legal. Still probably is easy, at least if you know any criminals. Still isn't legal.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:57 AM

19,047 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
unless your disabled ,cross bows arent legal for hunting. no problem owning bows and arrows though in nyc.

i used to shoot archery competitively in queens.

to hunt you will need the bow course and hunter safety course in order to get your hunting license.
Cross bows are legal huntng instruments now. Patterson made them legal a few years back.

Crossbow Hunting - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Old 08-11-2012, 12:08 PM

interesting... from what i see last year was the first year. you CAN NOT go out bow season with it or hunt in bow hunting only areas though from what i just read. they arent allowed in long islands hunting areas either during regular season . you can go out in the late season shotgun and muzzle loader season in long island.

you will need a cross bow qualification certificate as well as a hunting license.

it expires on dec 31 2012 though and will take another signing to stay in effect.

this is the first year in the last 5 im getting a ny state hunting license so i wasnt aware they changed it . up until we sold the PA house 3 weeks ago we were doing all our sportsman stuff in PA

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-11-2012 at 12:17 PM..

Old 08-11-2012, 06:39 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
If you dont have a license for any kind of gun, can you still go to a range, and rent those guns to shoot? What about not having a hunting license; can you still sign up with an outfitter and use their guns and hunt?

Where can you shoot archery competitively in Queens? Is there a place in Long Island, or NYC where you can shoot clay pigeons while renting their guns?

Old 08-11-2012, 07:19 PM

19,047 posts, read 13,964,273 times
There used to be a big place in Queens but I can't remember the name. It's probably still around if you look it up. They held competitive shoots fairly often.

If you're talking about hunting guns, it isn't too hard to get your rifle and shotgun permit. Just go to the NYPD website and look under "permits". Everything you need to do is on there.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:26 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
There used to be a big place in Queens but I can't remember the name. It's probably still around if you look it up. They held competitive shoots fairly often.
there are actually more than one

i was at one a couple years back, some friends took me there for my birthday. I am pretty sure it's still around

google for big apple archery in flushing and proline archery lanes in ozone park

Old 08-11-2012, 10:26 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If you dont have a license for any kind of gun, can you still go to a range, and rent those guns to shoot? What about not having a hunting license; can you still sign up with an outfitter and use their guns and hunt?

Where can you shoot archery competitively in Queens? Is there a place in Long Island, or NYC where you can shoot clay pigeons while renting their guns?

In NYC as far as I know you can only rent .22 rifles. There is a range on West 19th street between 5th and 6th avenues called the West Rifle and Pistol Range that'll rent Ruger 10/22's other than that in the state of NY you must have a pistol permit in order to handle a handgun. There is a range in NJ that will rent out pistols... google it and you can get all the details.

But anyway, if you dont want to deal with all the B/S rules and regulations of NYC/NYS, just take a quick drive out to PA, and you can rent whatever your heart desires.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:06 AM

big apple/queens archery is a nice place to learn. they are right off northern blvd and utopia.

you can not touch a handgun in nys without a permit . The only exemption is under S265.20 of the penal law which states that a person between the ages of 14 and 21 can shoot under the direct control of an instructor

the ranges that rent in PA can be outragious in price.

one place i know of charges a buck a round for ammo . you have to take a 35 buck safety course in order to use the range, then you pay by the hour for range time plus a fee to rent the gun.

you can go through a hundred dollars a peron in the blink of an eye.

interesting enough even though pa requires no hand gun license to posses a handgun and go to a range there ,a new yorker with a residence permit can not bring their own guns legally to pa to shoot.

as bizarre as it sounds to a nyc resident , pa law allows anyone to shoot there with any handgun legally owned with no permit.

the fact is a new yorker with the standard residence permit with authorization to shoot at a nyc approved range can not bring their own guns into pa to shoot because they are not in legal possession once they take the gun off premise for any other reason,especially leaving the state.

we had a range on route 6 in pa right down the road from a home we owned. as part timers i couldnt legally bring any handguns in i bought and owned in new york on my permit.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-12-2012 at 02:24 AM..

Old 08-18-2012, 07:12 AM

interesting enough a friend of mine tried to buy a long arm in long island to keep outside the city. he was denied by the dealer because he had a nyc address on his drivers license .now from what i thought nys allows anyone in the state to buy a long arm if they pass the insta-check and nyc cod has nothing to do outside of nyc.

i thought that was a judgement call by the dealer more than any rule.

be aware though the dealers do turn over notification of the purchases to nypd of those with city addresses where they have been cross checking for permits .

quite a few on other forums had their homes searched years after the transaction for firearms by nypd.

also it does say you cant "buy " a rifle without a permit as a nyc resident on the nypd site but how can it extend to outside the city limits? the law doesnt just read posses but it includes buy.

perhaps the dealer is correct and they cant even sell one while a nyc residence .

nyc regulations.

§ 10-303. Permits for possession and purchase of rifles and shotguns.
It shall be unlawful to dispose of any rifle or shotgun to any person unless said person is the holder of a permit for possession and purchase of rifles and shotguns; it shall be unlawful for any person to have in his or her possession any rifle or shotgun unless said person is the holder of a permit for the possession and purchase of rifles and shotguns.
The disposition of a rifle or shotgun, by any licensed dealer in rifles and shotguns, to any person presenting a valid rifle and shot gun permit issued to such person, shall be conclusive proof of the legality of such disposition by the dealer.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-18-2012 at 07:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City