Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 PM

35 posts, read 60,869 times

Advertisements

My ultimate goal in 10-15 years is to be living in NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc.. and working for either a high end company working on better ways to market themselves or a certain item or working with a PR company planning lavish events for the wealthy and famous. The only problem is… I live in Oklahoma and am still going to school. So I want to know is this kind of job is even out there, and if so, what is the best way to get it? How would the pay be? Should I get my marketing degree or PR, or both? Being from Oklahoma, foreigners will think I have an accent so I want to stand out in my qualifications, so should I get my masters, double major, etc… This is a big and far fetched dream of mine but when I think about my life and the possibilites of where I am going my heart becomes excited. I don't want to do this to be a celebrity or star offer. This is something I love and NYC is also something I love. So please and advice would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 08:42 PM

31 posts, read 89,751 times
The best way is to go to a school in NYC. NYU, CUNY, Columbia--prestige doesn't matter, just get here first. Then you can work your way up.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:37 AM

893 posts, read 2,864,012 times
I would suggest going to school in NY that way you have access to all the different PR internships. Also I suggest trying to get as many internships you can to help improve your resume. Studying marketing or communication would help but PR is one of those careers that any major can break into. All about connections really which is why I stress again that you pick up some internships. NY is huge for PR/Marketing. But bear in my mind that PR isn't just planning lavish events filled with celebrities.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:01 AM

393 posts, read 783,009 times
Stop posting the same exact thing over and over again. It's highly annoying.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:29 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
ougirl; I agree with the poster who said that connections are rule number 1 in PR.

for this reason, it would behoove you to start off with your own blog. you probably already know this, but it's a low cost sensible first step. PR has many stripes and niches. a good friend of mine invites me to PR events here in new york and guess what? tons of the PR people in attendance are from out of state because of the brands they represent. we're talking vermont oregon ohio, etc. it says so on the business cards that they hand out to me. I say this to let you know that they are pr jobs in all 50 states, so don't think you need to come to new york city to get an entry level job in pr

Old 08-11-2012, 03:43 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
you should also know the glamour factor is not a daily, weekly, or even monthly guarantee even if your employer caters to celebrities or professionals with glamorous contacts. I'm not in pr, but if I were in your shoes, I would try to take advantage of new technologies such as twitter and combine them with old methodes like blogging. as a student without a lot of money I presume, you need to develop a tool kit for yourself without spending a lot of money so that you're well-prepared straight after graduation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City