Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:51 PM

20 posts, read 39,659 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I work 8-10 hour days 5 sometimes 6 days a week and she works days at a hospital and is on call for the Emergency Dept every other week. I work in a office M-F days and at home on Saturdays occasionally, or video conference on Sunday nights. So I think a doorman might be helpful, but living in SF I've never had a doorman so I could live with out it, budget Is'nt really a concern with the doorman.

Also Finger Lakes is kinda of a creepy name to me. But upstate NY and the surrounding areas look really pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 11:55 PM

Ok even more questions. Why are there giant pipes of high pressure steam under Manhattan?

Old 08-14-2012, 06:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman118 View Post
Ok even more questions. Why are there giant pipes of high pressure steam under Manhattan?

That is "waste" heat from electricity production and it is sold by Con-Ed to large customers in Manhattan South of 96th (East) and 89th (West.)
It is used for heat, hot water and even to drive large air conditioning systems.
A good customer is the Empire State Building.

My building is looking to convert from oil heat...I wonder if the board has considered buying steam. It sounds much simpler to just turn a big valve on and off than to maintain a huge boiler.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:08 AM

Ah I see. So buildings use radiators? I live in SF and never really use the heater much maybe a couple times in Dec-Jan.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:05 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The steam system goes to UES and UWS from Lower Manhattan, though the plants are scattered throughout the system. There are several uses for the steam system. Here's an FAQ from ConEd about the system: Con Edison: steam operations - knowledge center: faqs

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-14-2012, 01:41 PM

Interesting. We're trying to do as much on line research as possible since *when* we do get time to visit we cant spend a lot of time on small stuff. You guys have all been very helpful with that.

Are people in NY really all that different(ie, rude or whatnot) or they just people trying to get places.
Working in tech in Silicon Valley the work culture is pretty lax. People wear t-shirts and jeans, and IMO never really grow up. Iv'e always worn shirt/tie/slacks at work. Working in in lower Manhattan are even tech guys expected to dress like grown ups or am i going to find more man-children.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:42 PM

420 posts, read 823,320 times
-People in NY are polite but direct. There is no time for a casual conversation with a stranger. There is always some place to go or some person to meet. However, courtesy does go a long way when dealing with customer service, business contacts, or simply someone on the street who needs directions to get someplace.

-Depends on the company. A lot of startups have really lax dress codes (like you would see in Silicon Valley, jeans, t-shirts, sneakers, etc), but on Wall St., nothing less than a suit and tie is acceptable. It has a conservative dress code, and the same applies for pretty much any Fortune 500 company located in NYC.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:55 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
Quote:
Interesting. We're trying to do as much on line research as possible since *when* we do get time to visit we cant spend a lot of time on small stuff. You guys have all been very helpful with that.

Are people in NY really all that different(ie, rude or whatnot) or they just people trying to get places.
Working in tech in Silicon Valley the work culture is pretty lax. People wear t-shirts and jeans, and IMO never really grow up. Iv'e always worn shirt/tie/slacks at work. Working in in lower Manhattan are even tech guys expected to dress like grown ups or am i going to find more man-children.
The work culture isn't lax here. Its demanding, competitive and fast paced. While tech jobs don't usually require a suit you may encounter longer hours at work with tight deadlines and less liesure time. Ive known a few west coast transplants who couldn't handle being required to show up to work at 9 on time and stay past 7pm, or being held accountable by the boss for sneaking out of work at 2pm on a Friday. That sort of behavior leads to being fired no matter what the profession in nyc since there people lining up around the block for jobs and workers who don't pull their weight can be replaced. If you have a good work ethic and don't represent the weak person described you will fit in just fine.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
The work culture isn't lax here. Its demanding, competitive and fast paced. While tech jobs don't usually require a suit you may encounter longer hours at work with tight deadlines and less liesure time. Ive known a few west coast transplants who couldn't handle being required to show up to work at 9 on time and stay past 7pm, or being held accountable by the boss for sneaking out of work at 2pm on a Friday. That sort of behavior leads to being fired no matter what the profession in nyc since there people lining up around the block for jobs and workers who don't pull their weight can be replaced. If you have a good work ethic and don't represent the weak person described you will fit in just fine.
Yeah that's the thing I really don't like about Silicon Valley. Its too loose. I was often called the project leader from hell. I expected my project programmers to be in by 8 and stay until 5 often 6. I was the only one in my building who wore grown up clothes and brushed my hair(or teeth). People also tend to use the word dude, take 3 breaks a day, and wear sandals at work. I can be a fairly moderate person, but you don't wear sandals at work.
I dunno I like the way work culture in NY sounds.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:34 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times
Quote:
Yeah that's the thing I really don't like about Silicon Valley. Its too loose. I was often called the project leader from hell. I expected my project programmers to be in by 8 and stay until 5 often 6. I was the only one in my building who wore grown up clothes and brushed my hair(or teeth). People also tend to use the word dude, take 3 breaks a day, and wear sandals at work. I can be a fairly moderate person, but you don't wear sandals at work.
I dunno I like the way work culture in NY sounds.
The only downside is the pressure from above to be a workaholic: which is ok if you're paid hourly, but lots of employers use salaried employees like slave labor and its frowned upon to take vacation time. But at least its not an environment that attracts or enables slackers like the west coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City