Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,174 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was going to stay at the Fort place B+B on staten island near the ferry terminal but they didnt have availability for the price I wanted. The owner told me they have availability for $85 a night for a 2nd floor room by Prospect Park at the Parkside B+B = I am wondering if the general area is safe to walk at night? would i be safe walking back from the train across Prospect Park - or along the park edge? Would I be safe walking a couple blocks from the 2,3, train which is a couple streets a way?

they have several close subway stops but it woud still be a 5-10 min walk depending on theline.

thanks for the info

Also my choice of lines are walk 10 min to 2,3, train
walk 10 min across the park to F,Q, train
walk 5 min to the B,Q,S, trains

which ones would be best to ge into Manhattan?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 07:11 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Where did you get those walking times? Two are false!

The F train is diagonally across Prospect Park at 9th Street in Park Slope. It would take far longer and absolutely preposterous to walk to and fro from the B&B. Yet, if you wanted to explore the park, then that c/b your destination, or vice versa. The trip w/b 30 to 60 minutes.

The 2/3 train is at Sterling Street and Nostrand Ave., which is about 5 or 6 blocks and about 25 minutes at a brisk pace. Moreover, there is no reason to go there since you can transfer at Atlantic Avenue from the Q/B to the 2/3, as well as a half dozen additional train lines.

The B&B is virtually (about 1/3) in the miiddle of Ocean Avenue between Parkside Avenue and Lincoln Road. The Q/B train is at the Prospect Park station down the block and just around the corner at Lincoln Road. 10 minutes or less.

That block of Ocean Avenue is directly across from Prospect Park. The building is one of a stand of about 6 or so limestone townhomes. This stand of homes is situated in the middle of a very long block of large apartment buildings. The apartment buildings are of a lessor class than the homes, and so one's experience may be defined by navigating the numerous residents of the apartment buildings to and from the subway.

Is it safe?

Depends upon your definition of "safe" in NYC. You are looking for 'cheap'. Cheap in NYC always comes with some level of non safety. Are there more safe areas, yes. Are there more dangerous areas, yes. Personaally, I wold take a taxi back to the B&B after 9pm, but I am a native NYer and native to that area. Tourist and Transplants do a lot of things natives would not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City